Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

so mad.....how many calls to the HS do you have to make?

dogcatharmony
May 2nd, 2005, 09:52 AM
okay i am sooooooo mad. i have no choice to go by this guys house in our neighbourhood . he has a GOLDEN RETREIVER that is not fenced or tied up and is allowed to poop on the side walk so he thinks that is his territory. his dog has now attacked my 9 month old pup 3 times!!!!!!!!!! this dog has even charged across the road to get ahold of my dog!!!!! and the dumb ***** doesn't even come out of his house to see what is going on even though the neighbours are screaming to come and get his dog. i have called the HS on each occasion and they have told me that the owner was told to tie up his dog....................which of course he hasn't or i wouldn;t be calling. i have called the police but because i haven't been bitten ( yet....touch wood) they tell me to contact the HS. iam at my wits end now.....my poor pup is now afraid of other dogs and im starting to get real scared of trying to go for walks. i am so sorry and so sad but i don't know what else to do.......thanks for listening.

nymph
May 2nd, 2005, 10:04 AM
You shouldn't be contactinig the HS, they have no jurisdiction. Call your city's animal control, proven guilty, the owners will get fined.

MegShawnMom
May 2nd, 2005, 10:05 AM
H.S. deals mostly with abuse cases,police can't do much.
I would suggest that you call animal control, this is there territory and would yield better results.If that fails, try calling by-law.first check what laws are on the books,you would be surprised. Good Luck,

BMDLuver
May 2nd, 2005, 10:19 AM
If the dog comes out again I would leash the dog and drive it to the animal control. The owner will then pay a fine to get the dog back and that will encourage him to keep the dog tied up. This is also in the best interest of the dog as running loose he could get hit by a car.

lilith_rizel
May 2nd, 2005, 10:30 AM
If the dog comes out again I would leash the dog and drive it to the animal control. The owner will then pay a fine to get the dog back and that will encourage him to keep the dog tied up. This is also in the best interest of the dog as running loose he could get hit by a car.

Good idea!!! I would also take some one with you. So you won't have to walk both dogs, and you can keep a distance!!! I definately think you need to take the matter more into your hands, in order for something to get done. You know the saying, "If you want to get something done, you have to do it yourself."

dogcatharmony
May 2nd, 2005, 10:42 AM
i am a little confused about this......the humane society is the animal control in the place i live even the police told me to call them so how do they not have jurisdiction? thanks for the replies but how do u leash a dog that is all teeth without risking getting bit yourself? Even the neighbours won't go near this dog...........and here is the sad thing i really don't even like typing this but the one neighbour told me this morning that he spoke to the guys wife about this and she said that when her husband got home that the dog would get a "good spanking" and this wouldn't happen again!!!!!!!!!!! this is sooooooo totally sad not only for my dog

Lizzie
May 2nd, 2005, 11:31 AM
If you list where you are located someone can give you the contact information for the animal control people in your area.

The person you spoke to was likely mistaken as the HS does not tackle the issue you are describing.

nymph
May 2nd, 2005, 11:32 AM
In the city of Ottawa, animal control is administered by city bylaw officers. You'd call the city's general number and they transfer you to animal bylaw officers.

dogcatharmony: have you actually talked with your irresponsible neighbor? Leash his golden retriever, and talk with him first, give him a warning before reporting to the animal control, at least that's what I'd do.

Prin
May 2nd, 2005, 11:57 AM
Frankly, I'd get bitten. :D

shannon1233A
May 2nd, 2005, 12:17 PM
I'm so sorry, for you, your dog and the other dog as well. I know I had a similar problem, and when I called our local counsel, they had the Bylaw Enforcement Officer at the neighbour's house within the hour. The owner denied having a dog, then when confronted by the officer (the dog barked inside the house) he finded him not only for letting a dog run loose, but also a number of other infractions such as not having a licence, not having the proper shots, etc. He was kind enough to drop by my house afterwards to let me know it was going to cost the owner over $500.00. I haven't seen the dog since, and suspect he was forced to give him up for adoption because he couldn't afford the fines. Thankfully, our community is responsible and any Bylaw fines which are not paid including dog licenses are added to our property taxes!

I can only suggest you call your local government office, or even call your government rep's office and tell them the Bylaw Enforcement Officer is not handling the problem after repeated requests. Sometimes, you have to go to the top!

Do you have a kennel by any chance? When the dog comes to your property, make sure there's a treat in the kennel to attract him, close the door to keep him confined and deliver him to the Animal Control Officer, or call him.

In my experience, dog owners who neglect their pet that way (letting him loose to roam or attack), or who would beat/hit their dog are so irresponsible they don't have their pet vacinated, licenced, etc. That will work in your favor when calling Animal Control.

Please try to do something before his dad gets home and that poor dog suffers reprimand at the hands of these irresponsible, uncaring owners. I HATE PEOPLE LIKE THIS. NOW I'M AS ANGRY AND WORRIED AS YOU!

Gripenfelter
May 2nd, 2005, 01:04 PM
I encountered a similar problem at the local dog park. One little vicious dog that resembles "BENJI" terrorizes all the other dogs. Biting them, pinning them down by their throats and not letting go.

He did it to my pup when he was 8 weeks old. Pinned him down and wouldn't let go.

My pup is twice his size now and the other dog still bites him. My pup has made some friends with a 110 lb Mastiff (10 months old) and a 100 lb pitbull doberman (1 yr old). Last time at the park when the BENJI dog came at my pup, the Mastiff and doberman pitbull intervened and chased and pounced on him. lol The owner of the Benji dog usually doesn't care and tells people they should "toughen up".

I took a few pics of the 3 dogs chasing the BENJI dog around the park. It was so funny. Haven't seen the owner or the dog back. I'll post the pics on Zeus's website tonight. :D

kandy
May 2nd, 2005, 01:25 PM
If you are going to try to catch and leash the dog, I would make sure that you leave your pup at home. Maybe the other dog would be less likely to bite you if your pup isn't around. I too think that the dog is probably being and has been, abused and neglected, thus the aggression. I would keep calling and calling and calling about the dog - you know - 'the sqeaky wheel gets the grease'! I hope that the proper authorities do something soon! :mad:

dogcatharmony
May 2nd, 2005, 04:06 PM
i really appreciate your replies and yes i have tried to talk to the owner but he is a real ***. when i first got my pup he was trying to give me advice on how to train my dog and i informed him that she was in puppy school and he told me what a waste of time and money that was. (unfortunely now it seems to be a waste because my pup is afraid of other dogs approaching her now and she was so well socialized). plus now i see what his training techniques are :( . if any one knows of animal control in sault ste marie i would greatly appretiate the information........all that is listed in the phone book is the humane society. its almost supper time here and the husband should be home from work shortly.......hopefully i can catch him pulling in the driveway. once again thank you so much everyone

shannon1233A
May 2nd, 2005, 08:25 PM
By law # 98-211 You can phone 759-5388

No person shall permit a dog to run at large, including in parks, in the City. A dog, off the owner's property, must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet. (By-law 98-211)

Wow $1000.00 fine!!!

http://www.city.sault-ste-marie.on.ca/

shannon1233A
May 3rd, 2005, 08:47 PM
Haven't heard back anything since you were waiting for the neighbour to pull into his driveway! Any updates? Hope everything is okay ;)