Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Pets Of Tomorrow

MegShawnMom
May 2nd, 2005, 08:46 AM
Taken from Globe and Mail, Social Studies,back page,first section.
"Genetic engineering (to modify animals) is the wave of the future," says Arthur Caplan, a bioethicist at the University of Pennsylvania. People will be in the market for animals that can live in apartments and are easier to take care of. and for pets that are more obedient,quicker to learn and,Mr.Caplan says,"in some instances,even nastier than some pit bull situations." There is nothing inherently wrong with pet modification,he adds,if it produces"pets that leave a smaller footprint on the enviroment---But the debate will centre in another direction."He thinks there is an appetite for freakish traits in pets and he sees an ominous day ahead:the eight -legged dog,for example.
Source:The Orlando Sentinel.

Please don't shoot the messanger:)

nymph
May 2nd, 2005, 09:06 AM
When I saw the title, I thought the dog of tomorrow is going to be a robotic AI dog like Sony's Aibo. :evil:

Prin
May 2nd, 2005, 10:50 AM
I'm not too worried. They say they know more about genetic engineering than they actually do. We were supposed to have one of the scientists who created Dolly as a guest speaker and he never showed up...

As long as we have BYB's we'll always have the mutts of today.. :D

Lise
May 2nd, 2005, 10:52 AM
That makes my skin crawl.I like my dogs,cats etc the way they are.If an animal doesn't fit in with lifestyle don't have one.Genetically changing things on a whim is very scary.

Daisy's Owner
May 2nd, 2005, 12:02 PM
Sheesh!!!! Do they not have anything better to do with genetic engineering than making more dogs for people to dump in shelters.