Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gardens

lilith_rizel
May 2nd, 2005, 08:37 AM
This year James and I have started a garden, in our back yard. We have planted morning glories, moonflowers, and I think petunias (given to us by housing company). We will be adding more to our small garden next month. Are there any suggestions of beautiful flowers that will attract birds. James and I especially love the flowers that climb...... we have a screened in porch that we wouldn't mind them growing on.......

Dukieboy
May 2nd, 2005, 08:44 AM
Red runner beans!!! They climb, are hardy and the flowers are a beautiful red.

lilith_rizel
May 2nd, 2005, 08:54 AM
You know, I was going to get those, but decided to wait until we went to walmart the next time, and they were gone...... I am sure I will find them next time though. They always re stock on that kind of stuff here. Those were one of my Grandmother's favorites. Alot of the stuff she planted, James and I are planting. Or what will grow here.

lilith_rizel
May 2nd, 2005, 09:02 AM
Just realized that I accidentally put this in the wrong place. OOOP Sorry. Just out of it today. Long weekend with inlaws :rolleyes:

Lucky Rescue
May 2nd, 2005, 02:05 PM
Honeysuckle vines (perfect for your porch) will attract hummingbirds, and a Butterfly Bush will draw all kinds of beautiful butterflies.:)

glasslass
May 2nd, 2005, 03:10 PM
Don't plant trumpet vines to attract hummingbirds. They require heavy support, attract aphids - therefore ants, will come up everywhere, and are impossible to get rid of unless you get every last little bit of it out. Don't put anything climbing against the house that might be invasive, like ivy. Those little tendrils will work their way into every little crevice and can do major damage as they grow thicker and stronger!

lilith_rizel
May 2nd, 2005, 03:18 PM
Honeysuckle vines (perfect for your porch) will attract hummingbirds, and a Butterfly Bush will draw all kinds of beautiful butterflies.:)

Where can I find them, I suppose I would have to go to a nursery? Or would they have that kind of stuff at a walmart??? I LOVE hummingbirds and butterflies.....

Prin
May 2nd, 2005, 04:21 PM
Where was this post supposed to go? Are you a member of that BC garden forum?

I'm not a gardener.. .I had a mimosa that I really wanted to keep and it died because my windows let in too much cold air. We have 2 plants and they get watered about 4 times a year, but they cope.

lilith_rizel
May 2nd, 2005, 04:32 PM
Prin I accidentally posted it in the on-topic rants part. But it was moved to the right place......

Safyre
May 2nd, 2005, 11:03 PM
I read that you planted morning glories, and then remembered the ASPCA website.
Animal Posion Control Centre (http://www.aspca.org/site/FrameSet?style=User&url=../toxicplants/M01947.htm)

Morning Glories, the seeds are TOXIC to dogs.

Common Name: Morning Glory
Scientific Name: Ipomoea spp
Family: Convolvulaceae
Toxic Principle: lysergic acid
Clinical signs: seeds may cause hallucination, may cause diarrhea.

Please check out that link for what plants are bad for your animals.
I was really annoyed when I found that basically all my Ivy was bad for Justice, I had just planted it two years ago, so I had to take it all down :(

lilith_rizel
May 3rd, 2005, 10:32 AM
safyre,

We don't have pets that go outdoors anymore, and we have a fence around our yard, so other pets most likely won't get in. I have never seen any other animals in the garden area. But I will look at that information just incase. It couldn't hurt. And if I do notice other critters finding a way into our yard, I can take care of things so they don't get sick.

lilith_rizel
May 3rd, 2005, 10:38 AM
Wow, tomato plants are poisonous! I guess that means when we bring them in this winter, we are going to have to make a green room for them. We are sick of paying for all the tomatoes we use, and want to try to grow them year round. Do you think it would work if we had the plants indoors during the cold season?

Safyre
May 3rd, 2005, 11:09 AM
Lilith - I looked at your profile and thought I saw a dog listed, thats why I posted that msg. Sorry if I misread. Hopefully others on this forum will use that website as well, I was shocked to see all the things that are toxic.

I beleive bringing the tomatoe plants into a green room for thme would be okay ... but i'm not a huge gardener... hopefully someone else will be back to advise :(

lilith_rizel
May 3rd, 2005, 11:15 AM
Yes, we did have a dog. Still haven't updated my profile. Thanks for reminding me.

raingirl
May 3rd, 2005, 11:17 AM
I was debating weather to post. Unfortunately I don't know what plants attract birds or whatnot. I plant plants that are easy to take care of and have nice flowers. I'm a lily fanatic, and I have tropical plants indoors.

I tried bringing my tomotoes indoors one year. All I got was a problem with spider mites, as our indoor air is too dry for them. I found it was best to spend a few bucks, get 6 tomato plants, plant them in the ground (not a container) and leave them in the fall. The tomato folliage is a good soil conditioner, so don't pull the plants up in the fall! Let them fall over and get covered in snow, then anything that hasn't decomposed in the spring, pull up then.

Also, in the fall, save some seeds from your tomatoes you get. The in about...feb/march, get a mini greenhouse kit and start the seeds youself at home, and plant them again in the same place in the garden. My mom did this for years. She got tomatoes that were the size of a babies head!

Now...I have a question. If you dog doesn't eat plants (mine so far hasn't) why worry about toxic plants? Lilies are toxic, only because they are part of the onion family. Yet, even though Onions are toxic, if you look, quite a few dog treats have onion in them (I know it was really surprising!!). Also, I don't plan on ever leaving my dog out unattended when I have a garden, so if I saw him going near the plants, I would interupt him. Makes sense right?

lilith_rizel
May 3rd, 2005, 11:22 AM
Raingirl, I love lilies too. Wanted to get a mix of 25 bulbs, but James said we didn't have the money at the time, and I could get them when he comes back in June. Good thing is is extremely hot out from March until November.

Tiger lilies are my fave. I love the tropical look!

raingirl
May 3rd, 2005, 11:24 AM
if you don't want to buy lillies, look around your area and see if anyone has any. A lot of gardeners who are serious about their lillies know that you have to thin them out every 2 years, and they end up with all kinds of extra bulbs.

lilith_rizel
May 3rd, 2005, 11:28 AM
Noone has them here. And I will be buying them in a month. They were only $8, but with us spending all that money to start the garden, and having to pay for parking next feww weeks with Judith back for surgery, we had to same it. But we are going to get them on the 15th of June. James promised me.

lilith_rizel
May 3rd, 2005, 11:30 AM
I know what you mean about the thinning. My grandmother gave my father 8 bulbs. And when he went to thin them, he had to take out twice as many. They just keep on multiplying!!!!

raingirl
May 3rd, 2005, 11:45 AM
If I could send them to you, I know tones of people who had extra!!

Unfortunately, you can't send those types of things across the border, only seeds.

Safyre
May 3rd, 2005, 10:32 PM
Onions can cause anemia in dogs, and yes, i know alot of people that still feed onion to thier animals. and i know, it is in some treats to. Some people say onions are not toxic at all, so I think that one is still up in the air.

I won't take the risk, I have cats as well though, and we let him out side with us, and love to chew on grass, I wouldn't wantto turn around to them chewing anything else. As well, Justice has been trained not to step foot in my garden, but i'm still not going to put anything in there that could be toxic, she is NEVER out alone, but why even take a chance? there are tons of other beautiful flowers that aren't toxic. *shrugs* worry wort here :o