Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

To crate or not at night

pamha
May 2nd, 2005, 12:05 AM
Our pup has reached the point we either need to get a bigger crate or stop using it. She`s almost 5 months (chow/shepard mix?) and has never really liked being in it; she`s spent every night in it since we`ve had her. I toss treats in during the day but she still doesn`t go in on her own other than getting the treat and getting out. She is fairly reliable on house-training, I think she prefers to go out, but if noone notices her sitting by the door, she isn`t real assertive on asking to be let out and puddles in the kitchen (about once a week this happens). DH thinks she`s ready to be free at night, but even if she doesn`t 'mess', I`m afraid she`ll get into something before we get up.

Plus one of the reasons I wanted to crate-train is because our older dog had such bad separation anxiety that she would go through windows to get out. I wanted our next dog to have a safe place in the house so she wouldn`t need to go to such extremes. Lola hasn`t shown any problems with that yet, but she`s always crated if we go out without her, so we haven`t really had a test of that yet.

I think we need to keep up with it, hopefully getting to the point where she`ll sleep in her bed in the crate voluntarily and we can leave it open once we can trust her more. This is our first experience with crate-training, so opinions and experiences are welcome!

Prin
May 2nd, 2005, 01:33 AM
How about blocking off a room instead of the crate? Would she like that better? It might save you buying another crate. :)

nymph
May 2nd, 2005, 10:14 AM
Where is the crate located at night? Our puppy hated the crate at first, but we place his crate right beside our bed, and he now sleeps well in his crate at night. We still keep the crate door closed though, just to prevent unwanted accidents. Diego has no problem sleeping through the whole night at nearly 4 months now, most of the time.

Once he can be totally trusted , I'll leave the crate door open, but will still confine him in my bedroom.

SnowDancer
May 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
What about a dog bed by your bed - unless of course puppy will do the obvious and take possession of your bed? Then you close the bedroom door so that he can't wander.

SarahLynn123
May 2nd, 2005, 11:04 AM
We have a baby gate blocking our door and both dogs in our room. Sometimes they sleep in their crates and sometimes they like to be sprawled out on the floor. With summer comming they are opting for the floor under the window to stay cooler! Personally Id give your dog a chance, you will wake up if he is misbehaving then you will know for sure whether or he is ready or not!

BMDLuver
May 2nd, 2005, 11:27 AM
Just my personal opinion but I think it's still too early to guage behaviour. Many dogs only go through the really destructive stage from 6 months to a year. I would start watching for a larger crate or post that you are looking for one on different boards. That way you can possibly get a cheaper one than buying new. Having the crate as a safety net is definitely far better than repairing the possible damage that can be done to your home by a pup when unattended and bored.

mona_b
May 2nd, 2005, 06:57 PM
I would agree on the blocking of the door.And giving him a chance... :) I have never crated.And my dogs had free run of the house by 6 months.Nothing was distroyed and there was no mess in the house.They actually stayed in my room and never left my side.

CyberKitten
May 2nd, 2005, 08:52 PM
I don't want to get into the crate debate (we've been there, done that - I have never done it and am not keen about it tho it seems a good training tool for some). But hopefully the poor little puppy will be near you in bed. I'd never crate a puppy at night when home!!

Ppl I know who do crate use it for training and only in the daytime when they are not there.

If you feel it necessary - and by 6 mos, you do not consuder him used to his crate???? - could you not place the crate near you so at least the poor guy won't be lonely? I am sad just reading about him to be honest. My choc lab who I labsit now and again had a crate in his puppy days but it was in the daytime only. He always slept with my brother and when here with me. I think he'd be happier close to you - and much better socialized frankly.

Safyre
May 2nd, 2005, 10:37 PM
Crate Training was completely new to me when I got Justice.
I crated her every night, and during the day, right up untill 2 months ago. that was at 14 months. I leave the crate open against my bed, with the crate against a wall, so it crates a bigger space for her to sleep in. She paws the bed to get up in the morning, and never messes. I have never woken to pee, poo or a torn up room.
I worry ALOT, so I prefer to have her in the crate, or near the crate at night. Hugely scared of fires, always want to know where she is.

CyberKitten
May 2nd, 2005, 10:51 PM
Would you not know where she was if she was in bed with you - in your bedroom with the door closed? Where else would she go? But I can understand her liking her crate. G - my lab "nephew"- used to get into his crate sometimes during the day to have a snooze so I don't see it as a punishment the way some do. It is a bit like YY and her cat beds - which keep multiplying, lol - almost as fast as Sphynx sweaters, lol (the volunteer ladies at the Childrens' hospital love to knit them sweaters so we are a hot item ,lol) I think we will have to donate some to Sphynx Rescue. I even tried one on YY - she did not want it but I bet she'd like it outside were she to go on her harness, lol

Safyre
May 2nd, 2005, 10:54 PM
CyberKitten - NONE of my animals sleep on the bed with me, they never have, and never will. If you want details on why, PM me, its WAY too personal to put in thread.
I actually get a lil upset when people act like the bed is the only loving palce for your pet. I ADORE my pets, but cannot have them in bed with me. So they stay as close as possible, very comfy curdled up on velour blankets on the ground :)

CyberKitten
May 2nd, 2005, 11:03 PM
I am not suggesting that simply b/c your pet does not sleep in bed with you, you are less caring or love him/her less. We are all different! I hope that is not the way it came across. It is just the way I have done it all my life- our pets were always in bed with us. I even bottle fed kittens who could have had God knows what diseases from their mother - now that I think of it now - on my bed when I was teenager and it became their home. Now, we isolate cats we take in but back then, even my gram (a nurse) or other family members who were docs never even thought of that! I don't really need to know why your pets don't sleep in your bed - I am not THAT nosy, lol

Safyre
May 2nd, 2005, 11:09 PM
Sorry, i wasn't implying YOU said I wasn't caring ... I've read other threads that people are just nuts about having animals in thier bed, likes it the best place for them. I always feel horrible after, cuz if I could have them in bed with me, I would.