Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

e collar

raingirl
May 1st, 2005, 10:44 PM
After Odin gets his eye surgery next week, the vet informed us that it is likely he will need to wear an e collar, as he scratches his eyes always even now before his surgery (he has dry eye).

Now...just after we got him he had a little infection in his eye and he would not stop rubbing it. We took him to the vet and 5 people holding him plus the vet couldn't get the e collar on him. He was freaking out!

I know that he will be sedated when they put it on him this time, but will he have to wear it 24 hours?? Or can he wear it for a long time (week or two?)Do you have to take it off sometimes? I'm worried if we take it off, he won't let us put it back on.

melanie
May 2nd, 2005, 02:11 AM
do you mean an elizabethan collor or an electic collar??

Prin
May 2nd, 2005, 02:18 AM
I don't think you should take it off of him for a while. I don't think you need to take it off to give him a break... Maybe the ecollar will help you treat the eye at the same time? Just make sure he can drink and eat properly while it's on and DOGGY PROOF!! Ecollar doggies are sooo clumsy... :)

Oh and make sure it's big enough-- someone I know's vet put a collar that was too small and by the time they went to pick her up the stitches had already been ripped out.

Beaglemom
May 2nd, 2005, 08:21 AM
My dog had to wear one a while back. She hated it, but got accustomed to it.

It can be difficult to eat or drink with it on, so just watch Odin and make sure that he isn't having difficulty drinking or eating.

I think it might be best to leave the collar on him until he no longer needs to wear it, otherwise you might have trouble putting it back on.

My dog had to wear it for about a week. I'm assuming that Odin will also have to wear it for about a week or until his stitches come out.

Prin you are so right by saying that they are clumsy when they wear the e collars. My dog kept hitting everything and everybody!

raingirl
May 2nd, 2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't sure if he could sleep in it or not. They will probably have disolvable stitches in his eyes...so the ecollar is just to prevent him from scratching or rubbing and getting an infection while the eye heals.

Prin
May 2nd, 2005, 11:41 AM
By the way, Raingirl, I know what you mean about holding him down-- we had one at the vet I worked at and it took 6 of us to hold him down and even then he just stood up. We all learned that it's way easier to take blood from a bulldog's jugular than from the veins in his arms... :eek:

melanie
May 2nd, 2005, 05:35 PM
well after reading the posts i realised its eliz collar. but really, thanks for not bothering to answer me, it would have only bee a one word answer, sorry to assume you were interested in education and discussion.

sometimes these posts need to be descriptive, that is some of us live in dif countries and dont know what your talking about, but hey, dont worry, im jsut a redneck from far south. again thanks oh soooo much :evil: :yuck:

SarahJane
May 2nd, 2005, 11:27 PM
She might have missed your post melanie. :)

Prin
May 2nd, 2005, 11:45 PM
Sorry, I thought after my post that it would be implied-- "Ecollar doggies are sooo clumsy", "ripped stitches out"... I didn't think you would assume that on the other half of the world we'd be shocking our post surgical pets...

melanie
May 3rd, 2005, 12:08 AM
i have never heard of e collar other than electric collar, that is why i was confused.

and no i dont think you shock your dogs in recovery, but in this world who knows. :rolleyes:

Prin
May 3rd, 2005, 12:20 AM
LOL do you know what it is now? I'm sure raingirl can take a pic after the surgery... :D

melanie
May 3rd, 2005, 12:58 AM
over there is it called an elizabethan collar, it is here, and no i dont need a pic....... :)

Prin
May 3rd, 2005, 01:34 AM
It's the same then. e-collar is short for elizabethan collar.

raingirl
May 3rd, 2005, 10:41 AM
the reason I didn't answer is I didn't know what the e was short for! I only knew they were called e collars so they could have been electric for all I know??

Sorry! I was waiting for someone else to explain.