Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

La Perdriolle Pet Fair

SOS MIOW
May 1st, 2005, 08:35 PM
The Clinic Veterinaire la Perdriolle (on Grand Blvd. in Ile Perrot) is hosting a pet fair on June 5th on the grounds of the clinic. SOS, Animatch, and the Nichoir wil be participating as will groups in Agility, Training, RCMP "sniffer dogs", the Ecomuseum, and so on. The goal of the fair is to inform the community about responsible pet ownership and to show the results of irresponsible ownership (i.e., abandonned, homeless pets). There will be activities for kids and a snack bar on site. The event will be held from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. If you know of anyone who would like to help sponsor, please let me know and I'll e-mail a sponsorship form. There are still a couple of booths left if you know of someone close to Ile Perrot who would like to participate (i.e., groomer). Sorry, but only one rescue per species (dog, cat, bird) can participate.

Lucky Rescue
May 1st, 2005, 08:41 PM
That sounds great! Hope it goes well, as Ile Perrot certainly is a place that needs education about responsible pet ownership.

Good luck!

twinmommy
May 14th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I'm curious, does Ile Perrot have a worse reputation than your average suburb?

Lucky Rescue
May 15th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Certainly every place has a cat problem, but some seem worse than others. Ile Perrot is one of those.

The fact that the local mall petstore has a constant supply of cheap and intact kittens for sale is not helping.

When begged to s/n kittens first, the answer from the owner was "No one will pay 100$ for a spayed/neutered kitten."

That pretty much tells you that the people buying them will not s/n either.

Obviously the people who won't pay are the ones who should not be getting kittens.

SOS MIOW
May 15th, 2005, 01:46 PM
I'm curious, does Ile Perrot have a worse reputation than your average suburb?

Ile Perrot was a more rural area until a few years back when it started growing. It is now 1/2 suburban, but with a rural attitude towards cats. There are a lot of feral cat colonies, and people's attitudes are that cats are a dime a dozen (just open your door and you'll find a pregnant female or a litter of newborns). Ile Perrot is now undergoing a big construction boom of condos, townhouses, row housing, and commercial shopping malls. This is destroying a good deal of forest area where numerous cats (not to mention foxes, fischers, raccoons, etc.) are being displaced. We are starting to see foxes in residential areas, and there have been reports of cats being killed by wild animals forced out of their habitats by the new construction.

Re adoption of cats/kittens for over $100 - a lot of people can't see the need for sterilization. I would say that more than half of the cats in the area are indoor-outdoor cats, many of them not sterilized. However, the newer people relocating to the area are more open to paying for a cat/kitten that is vaccinated & sterilized.

The goal of the Perdriolle Pet Fair is to try to inform the community of the need for responsible pet ownership through vaccination, sterilization, and keeping pets indoors.

twinmommy
May 15th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Wow, thanks for the info guys, I'll keep my eyes peeled for kitties in distress (geez knowing me you would've thought some would have found me by now! :) :rolleyes:

I know that store you mentioned and they are horrible. I refuse to even bring my kids in there, or any pet shop for that matter. I usually raise my voice so they can hear and say something like "NO HONEY, THOSE PEOPLE ARE MEAN TO DOGGIES! WE'LL NEVER BUY ANYTHING THERE!!"

cool idea about Perdriolle though... :thumbs up