Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feeding wild animals

coppperbelle
May 1st, 2005, 07:49 PM
I often hear people say they feed wild animals. I wonder if they realize that they may be causing more harm to the animal than good.
If you feed a wild animal he will lose his natural fear of humans and put himself in a potentially dangerous situation. He will return regularly for food. If you move or go on vacation the animal you have been feeding will look for another human to feed him. He may become aggressive if that person does not feed him. The person not realizing that the animal has been fed by humans may assume he is rabid and the animal will be captured and killed. He will stop foraging for food himself . Because they are wild animals and are usually tame does not mean they will never bite. If they do and you seek medical treatment (which of course is necessary whenever bitten by a wild animal) he will be destroyed so that he can be tested for rabies. You may also be putting your own pet in danger or the wild animal may be in danger of being attacked by your dog.
If you find a wild animal that is injured contact your local shelter or SPCA. Do not attempt to handle the animal yourself.

Karin
May 1st, 2005, 09:35 PM
People feed the gators here all the time then complain when Fifi disappears.
(They say the gators looked hungary...go figure)

Live and let live.

Safyre
May 1st, 2005, 10:45 PM
I compeltely agree that humans should not be feeding animals, I was shocked to find two Ducks sitting on my grass eating the fallen bird seed the other day. I know they live NEAR my house, busy its quite a busy area they had to travel through to get to my yard.

Prin
May 1st, 2005, 11:47 PM
Do bird feeders count? They certainly don't like me... :o

(I like to show off my population...)

melanie
May 2nd, 2005, 02:20 AM
there is a place in australia called Fraizer island (detached from mainland, QLD). it has the last pure 100% known dingo population in australia. on the island there is a million signs begging not to feed dingo, they will become aggressive for the food and all of those reasons above.

well because of the stupid tourists, recently the dingos were culled down to only 120 dogs left, all because some stupid person fed one, it became aggressive and attacked a person for food. because they only had a rough description of the dog, they culled over 80 dogs just to ensure they got the right one. just really nice, thanks humans.

i think ppl only feed native animals to fuel their egos, they just cant handle the fact that the animals can survive without the great and mighty humans intervention, i reckon is all about ego.

as far as birds go, as long as you dont have cats, encouraging native birds is ok. it is great for your garden, and the birds will deal with many pests and weeds. they are also wonderful seed distributors so if you have local native plant species you can help your environment and get a pretty visitor to your garden. :thumbs up so plant local native plant speices if you want to increase your bird visitation, go to your local nursary and find out what is local, and find plants that bear fruit, you wont have to put out seed anymore if you plant the right trees, the birds will do it for free. it will be great for you and them. very rewarding also.

its birds in cages that may not be so nice or conducive to good karma.

coppperbelle
May 2nd, 2005, 07:03 AM
Do bird feeders count? They certainly don't like me... :o

(I like to show off my population...)

No feeding wild birds does not count. I feed wild birds all summer. I stop early in the fall so the birds will not rely on my feeder and head south come winter.

That is a sad story about the dingos. It is sadly happening everywhere. Bears are a good example. They are invading campgrounds out west because they know that people=food.