Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

any computer wizzards here?

jackieb
May 1st, 2005, 05:33 AM
my husband downloaded 123 copy dvds now we cant get our dvd drive on the computer to play we have a dvd rdrive and dvd cd rom drive

any ideas please???????? :confused:

Safyre
May 1st, 2005, 09:46 AM
Just want clarification on ths post.
Your husband downloaded 123 copied DVD's (from where), and since he has done this downloading, the DVD drive is not working?
It is not reading DVD's?

raingirl
May 1st, 2005, 10:08 AM
Yeah. I need more clarification. Did he put the downloaded DVDs onto a DVD and not the DVD is not playing? If that's it, usually downloaded movies are not in DVD format and therefore should go on a regular CDR and play with Quicktime or something like it.

I'm a computer geek so I need more info to help.

CyberKitten
May 1st, 2005, 12:29 PM
Check the format - many movies are avi format - will play in a Real Player or Media Player but even then, some require codex- it might tell you in the error code. (Check the message - the number should relate to some explanation on a the player's site.) But I cannot imagine that all 123 would be the same? WHERE did he downoad them from? Or did he copy them? (I am confused by your post) - maybe it does not take much to confuse me. He should have tested one first! (Famous last words I now, lol)

They could also be in VCD format? Some people download movies and then convert them into VCD which will play is somee (not all) DVD players. Also, very large size movies can be mpg, a format that also should (emphasis on the "should") play in a DVD player. Ask him to try them in either MediaPLayer (which even on the free one you can alter the brightness so that is helpful) or Real Player and see if that works. Quicktime is very proprietorial and thus uo can only play the .mov format in it.

I am on the lazy side (more it is a time issue) so I dl the movies and whether they are avi or mpg, I just play them on MediaPlayer tho I have all 3 of those mentioned on my puter. (and a DVD player). I have hooked up one computer to a TV so that I can burn them to a CD or DVD if they are huge (like mpg's are tho I can get 5 mpg movies on one 4.7 GB DVD) and then watch them on that TV screen so I can change lighting and have better sound. That is done easily too - I went to Radio Shack and purchased RCA audio cables and a video cable. The TV must of course have an S video capability tho if it does not you can buy a modulator at WalMart for $29.99 and play them
on any TV.

I just find it curious that all 123 won't play???

jackieb
May 1st, 2005, 01:24 PM
he downloaded 123 software which we purchased from a shop since then we cant play any movie dvds (normal ones like shrek) on the computer we used to be able to watch them on the computer and also watch our old english ones since loading the software we cant use it it wont work. Also the software isnt working either :confused:

JDG
May 1st, 2005, 01:38 PM
Computers are locked into a certain region for playing DVDs, and can only be switched between regions so many times - could the computer be locked into a specific region?

if 123 is software, perhaps it would be best to do a full uninstall of the program and start again.

CyberKitten
May 1st, 2005, 01:40 PM
Sorry - maybe I am dense but I still don't understand or need more info before I can even begin to offer any more advice. (My brain is somewhere else maybe, lol)

How did you watch them on your computer? A DVD player? One of the programs I mentioned above? You can't just watch them on a computer - you need a program so what program was it? And do you know what format they are? You can find it by reading them on whatever periperphal you are using to insert them on. Maybe the program cannot read whatever format they are in?

What software did you load? Is it the software that does not work or do you mean that since loading the software, the program you previsouly used to watch themdoes not work????

Safyre
May 1st, 2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I still think we all need more details.

He downloaded/installed a program, called 123 Software? or, am I confused?
I tried doing a search online for 123 Software, I get a program called 123 Copy DVD
is this what he has installed?

What were you using to watch DVD's previously? or have you ever watched DVD's on comp?

*warning I am no computer geek* If he has installed a new program on your computer, I would uninstall the program. Restart the computer. Do a system restore back to a date before the program was installed. Attempt to watch DVD. If does not work, look for a different computer geek. :p (i'll keep watching the thread though, my bro is a system programmer)

raingirl
May 1st, 2005, 06:44 PM
I'll take a stab at it. Before, when you put a DVD in, it would play (like the program started on its own as soon as the DVD was in right?)

Now, when you put the DVD in, 123 copy dvd starts up? Or when you put the DVD in, nothing happens?

When you install a program that uses the same type of files, it will re-write your registry to use that new program instead of the old one to read those types of files. I don't know if 123 copy dvd can view DVD's as well though.

123 Copy DVD is a one click DVD transcoder, which lets you backup DVD Video movies on a single 4.3GB DVD±R disc. You can either choose to backup the entired disc or just the movie itself. Obviously backing up just the movie provides better quality, because the maximum amount of space is used for the movie.

based on what I read, it doesn't. Chances are it is running the program in the background when you start your computer, and all DVDs you are trying to use are associating with 123 and not your DVD player.

I would suggest you start the program that you use to play your DVDs on your computer first, then insert the disc. It should work then.

If you are getting any error messages, post them word for word here and I can help out. Like I said, I'm a computer geek.

CyberKitten
May 1st, 2005, 07:04 PM
I WAS confused. I never heard of 123 copy DVD. I had understood her to say her husband had dled 123 DVD's, lol (which seems like a lot but I know ppl with 1000 songs their HD so it was plausible tho movies take up WAY more space!)

I am used to other programs and just watch the movies with the various free programs. I think I give up on this - BUT I do think raingirl is right, the registry is prob overwritten and they should be able to play a DVD in any of the DVD programs they have on the computer. You can prob also reconfgure copy 123 to not start as well (just as you configure a CD not to start when you insert it) or change the regsitry entries but you need to know what you are doing there.

Good luck!

Safyre
May 1st, 2005, 08:25 PM
Cyberkitten _ i was thinking the same thinga s you, 123 DVD's
I looked at theway the poster was using the words 123 osftware and realized "oh, its a PROGRAM" and googled it.
You weren't the only one confused.

I concur with raingirl. ... as she problably has much more knowledge than me :)

R-NOLSON
May 1st, 2005, 11:18 PM
Unfortunately it appears that this product is still 'buggy' (123 software originally came out with DVD XCopy, and it was removed from the market from what I heard). Copy DVD appears to have a lot of issues similar to what you are stating here - it is a version 1.0 after all...for example:

Makes changes in hardware and registry without notifying you of those changes, and uninstalling does not change the settings back.
Bought the product at a chain store, and the box mentioned nothing about only specific brands of burners being supported. Only too late did I find out that my DVD burner is not supported.
Which is why I believe that 123 CopyDVD does not work in my machine. I will have to wait for them to update their support list for my DVD burner.
Moral: Don't trust the box, Check the website for supported burners before using.

For more reviews of this product, go here: http://www.download.com/123-Copy-DVD/3640-2646_4-10316023.html

It looks like the software does not recognize or "like" your DVD writing hardware. My advice is to uninstall this software with a good third party uninstaller (not the microsoft version in the Control Panel!) something like 'Advanced Uninstaller Pro" or similar. After uninstalling, run the registry repair app and see if it recognizes the 123 Copy DVD registry entries and removes them. Hopefully this works and you will have the software completely out of your PC.
Next, go get some good stable DVD backup and player software that does not muck up your computer - the best are as follows:

DVD ripping software:
- Elaborate Bytes CloneDVD
- DVD Shrink
- DVD Santa

DVD Players:
- Good ole Microsoft Media Player (however you may have to download certain codecs to play DVD's or some video formats, ie: avi, vcd, divx, matroska, etc.)- WinDVD
- Cyberlink PowerDVD 6

Another sweet little program is DVD Decrypter which decrypts the copyright on any DVD that you want to backup and saves it on your harddrive. It also formats foreign region codes to NTSC so you can take your UK PAL DVD's and format to US NTSC. Once on your hdd you can then use one of the programs above to shrink to 4.7GB DVD-/+r size and rip.

Hope this helps.

jackieb
May 2nd, 2005, 05:56 AM
[QUOTE=raingirl]I'll take a stab at it. Before, when you put a DVD in, it would play (like the program started on its own as soon as the DVD was in right?)

Now, when you put the DVD in, 123 copy dvd starts up? Or when you put the DVD in, nothing happens?

Thanks this is whats happened
Im going to look at all the programmes the guy from the computer shop gave us he set it all up for us you see

thanks

raingirl
May 2nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
Yeah, sounds like 123 thinks it is the program you want open.

It's like when I have WinAmp (plays music) and I downloaded Itunes (plays music). Itunes now opens when I put music in instead of winamp.

CyberKitten
May 2nd, 2005, 11:33 AM
It's b/c these applications are programmed to take over the file format (in winamps's case - mp3, wav etc) and make themselves the default app for those file formats. You need to change the default format and revert to the original.