Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

i'm moving to montreal!! and getting LOTS more pets after:D

jiorji
May 1st, 2005, 12:50 AM
woooohooo i finally got my acceptance letter from Concordia.

they didn't let me in for the program i wanted...but well they let me get into studio arts...so i will be switching over after. I'll be sneaky !:evil:

so i'm now looking for an apartment. Not thoroughly familiar with Montreal, so not to be offensive, but are there any areas in Montreal a 22 girl should NOT rent in? lol

Montreal has always seemed to be a very friendly and lively city, more so than Toronto, but to a tourist any city looks good. Anybody who thinks Toronto's friendly i think is NUTS! :eek:

I'm having trouble with ooking for apartment b/c since i live so far it'll be harder to book appointments for visits. I think i'll start in july and book all my appointments in a mid july weekend. Hope that isn't too late for an august 1st move. I can't afford to travel to montreal everyweekend and i don't want to just pick based on pictures.

(circles doggy parks on Montreal map...lol)

Prin
May 1st, 2005, 02:45 AM
It depends on how far away from school you don't mind being and if you'll have a car...

The best dog parks are in Ahuntsic (around Sauve metro). The only bad places I've heard of is the McGill Ghetto (apparently a lot of rapes down there) and Hochelaga St... Whenever someone gets shot, it's on Hochelaga. Maybe that's too general (if it is, and I am wrong, I'm sure someone will say something).

Saint-Laurent is not a very doggy friendly town either, so I'd avoid there, too.

I know that the building on Mackay (1444 Rue Mackay) allows one dog and cats. I have a friend who lives there-- it's a bit expensive but heat is included and it's literally next to Concordia's downtown campus. It's a huge building too, so if you try now, you might be able to get an apt in there. (after july 1, there won't be much available anywhere-- you do know about July1st, right?)

good luck!

badger
May 1st, 2005, 03:13 AM
I live at the western end of Hochelaga - it runs east for miles. It's true my neighbourhood is a bit seedy and doesn't seem to attract as much municipal funding as it should but it has a certain charm, cheap rents, no dog parks but plenty of places to run a dog (the park behind my house has a regular morning and evening off-leash group).

I can be downtown in half an hour on my bike or 15 minutes on the metro (with a stop right at Concordia). If I moved (no plans to), I'd move east, there are some charming old neighbourhoods (south of Hochelaga) with lots of mature trees (one thing I can't do without), each grouped around a massive Catholic church, a relic of earlier, more devout times, like the villages they once were. It is still a mostly French area as well, which I like. Mile End and around Lafontaine Park (which has at least one dog park) are cool places to live but the rents are much higher. I think you'll be able to find a place after July 1 - the papers are full of ads - but will have less choice close to downtown and pay more there. Not sure about this, but you may have more luck with a dog-friendly landlord outside of the downtown core as well.

JDG
May 1st, 2005, 08:13 AM
July 1st is 'Moving Day' Alot of rental agreements start and end then, it might be a tad tougher to find a really great appartment for 1st August.

How much french do you speak? On a whole people in Montreal will speak English with you, as long as you make an effort with French - just some neighbourhoods help out a little more than others. . .

Plateau Mont Royal is very french, and my crappy 'Franglais' usually doesn't get me very far there. . .

You might want to consider looking for a place right outside a metro station - Guy-Concordia station is on the 'Green' line.

here is a website with lots of appt. for rent:
http://www.louer.com/

CyberKitten
May 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM
My sister moved to Mtl a few yrs ago to teach at McGill and she loves it. And a cousin lives downtown. But they are both fluently bilingual and like the French aspect. Good luck - it is a great city!

jiorji
May 1st, 2005, 01:53 PM
i think i know enough french to get around lol it's only a matter of recalling everything i learned lol

Prin
May 1st, 2005, 02:01 PM
Just get a french man and you'll pick it up real quick!! :p

CyberKitten
May 1st, 2005, 02:50 PM
I'd also give you a word of advice - as someone who once was a student with pets. As an undergrad, I left my pets home since one never knows exactly what the sutuation will be and being a FT student leaves little time for pets and it's not fair to them. However, as a grad student in Boston, once I was stettled and had the routine down pat and more importantly, had someone I could trust to petsit when I was away, I then brought them with me. It was tough to leave them home but I did see them often - I just think it would have been too hectic for them. I was young, it was my first yr away from home - hardly a good mix for pets!! I so wanted them with me but I had to decided what was best for them and had willing grandparents to care for them and even bring them to see me from time to time. Once you get to know the city and your schedule, you may have a better idea. It also depends what you are taking. I was in science which has many labs and then if you want to be very involved in student affairs - all part of university life and an important part of the univ experience, at least in your early yrs, it takes up so much time.

Now, if you are a mature student (as in over 25), you may be in a different situation than most.

I wish you luck!!