Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

surgery day next week

raingirl
April 30th, 2005, 05:51 PM
We finally booked the day for cherry eye surgery for Odin. It's next thursday.

I was almost in tears at the vet because I am so scared to leave my baby with them. He will have to be there 24 hours because of his special anesthesia requirements. What if something happens?? I'm so scared....

CyberKitten
April 30th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I know how you feel raingirl. I hate to leave YY anytime at the vet. I am sure the surgery will be fine. Any way you can stay for the procedure? So they can update you the way we do it at the human hospital? (You know, a special quiet room for families to wait while their loved one is in the OR and someone - usually a nurse, sometimes a Resident, comes out to talk to them preiodically and let them know how all is going). Given the number of people whose pets are their babies, vets are going to have to start providing this service I think!

happycats
April 30th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I know how you feel, it's very scary.
But I'm sure sweet Odin will be just fine :love:
Just remember we are all here for your and Odin :) :grouphug:

Karin
April 30th, 2005, 09:08 PM
I know how you feel raingirl. I hate to leave YY anytime at the vet. I am sure the surgery will be fine. Any way you can stay for the procedure? So they can update you the way we do it at the human hospital? (You know, a special quiet room for families to wait while their loved one is in the OR and someone - usually a nurse, sometimes a Resident, comes out to talk to them preiodically and let them know how all is going). Given the number of people whose pets are their babies, vets are going to have to start providing this service I think!

I may get flamed for this but if Vet's have to start babysitting every pet owner that has a pet in surgery the cost will rise. People complain about the prices all the time here already.

The only time I know extra hands are needed in Sx is when doing a c-section and the extra hands are needed to sling the newly born puppies or kittens, (the vet is busy with the mom)
Otherwise, other bodies get in the way and take attention away from the matter at hand.

raingirl
April 30th, 2005, 09:23 PM
I actually don't want to stay, I'd be freaking out too much! Because of the complexity, he will be there 24 hours.

I guess I can call later in the day to see how it went though. It's a 24 hour hospital as well as a vet office, so there are always people there.

I just hate thinking of being alone all day that day, when I'm used to him being here, no walks, no feeding, and not hearing him snoring at night!

hounds003
April 30th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I just hate thinking of being alone all day that day, when I'm used to him being here, no walks, no feeding, and not hearing him snoring at night!

Awe, now that's to sweet! Just remember Odin will be in the best of hands. :D

Prin
April 30th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Don't worry. They do so many of these every week. It will all be ok. :)