Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doggy Eating Dirt

shannon1233A
April 30th, 2005, 10:00 AM
He everyone! I'm new to the forum so sorry if this has been discussed, I've tried finding it on the forum to no avail.

Our Alaskan Malamute pup is 6 months old and just starting not only digging holes, but eating the dirt! I put chicken wire in the holes, covered with more soil, so what does she do....dig a new hole and eat the dirt. I'm handling the hole digging, but how can I discourage her from eating the dirt she digs up?

I've tried sprinkling cayeen(sp) pepper, so again...just goes to new place. I've also watched her closely and as soon as she digs, she hears a firm NO, and is taken away from the spot, so that's working with digging, although I can't be out with her all the time. It's more the eating of the dirt that's worrying me. We've had her to the vet, and everything is good, so it's not a vitamin deficiency as I originally thought.

PS can you also direct me to which forum I should post questions regarding Conformation Shows Training??? With thanks in advance, wish I could post pics but don't know how and don't have website :sad:

Gripenfelter
May 1st, 2005, 10:04 AM
Guess what? Mals eat dirt and grass. :yuck:

Mine does it too. I discourage him as much as possible. The vet told me he isn't really hurting himself because mals eat dirt and grass in the wild. I watch him from the window when he's in the backyard and I bang on the glass to startle him if I see him eating something he shouldn't.

He's 21 weeks old now and he stopped eating dirt but he sometimes still eats grass and the occassional kleenex he finds.

Just have to keep a close eye on him and do the best you can.

shannon1233A
May 1st, 2005, 03:59 PM
:) We've always had mals and gsds and this is the first one to eat dirt. Glad to hear it's considered the norm. I hear you about the kleenex, Kenzie loves paper towels!

Your pup is soooo cute!!!! I've tried to post pics of Kenzie but unable to so far. I checked and it's a JPEG, right size and all, but then I'm having general trouble posting, it usually takes about 3 tries before my posts go through, lol Hopefully admin will be able to fix it and then I'll post a pic of Kenzie

Thanks again for the reassurance

Prin
May 1st, 2005, 09:16 PM
My big Boo also eats dirt- the huskies, and pointers of our park do too. I think some of it depends on how much nutrition is in the dirt. The dirt at our park has not had grass (only weeds) for a couple of years now (bad park president) so it has been "resting". I think that's why it's so tasty. :)

nymph
May 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM
My golden/lab mix Diego also eats dirt. I recently aerated my lawn, and Diego absolutely loves those little corks of grass/dirt. I see no real danger, so I just let him.

jjgeonerd
May 2nd, 2005, 12:54 PM
Gabby eats sand at the beach...leads to sandy poo sometimes! :yuck: Also learned not to drink saltwater the hard way! :yuck: :yuck: