Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

English bulldog turning into dalmation!

raingirl
April 30th, 2005, 10:52 AM
THis is so funny, but I want to make sure it's normal.

I noticed after looking at many pictures of bulldogs it's common for them to have black spots on their skin under their fur. Odin has tons of them.

Well, Odin has been shedding A LOT I guess because of the spring, and last night I was watching him sleep on the floor, and I can now see the spots under his fur on his sides in the light, and a little on his back. It's a uniform shedding, so I assume it's normal. Also, because he has white fur, it makes it easier to see the spots.

When should I be concerned about too much shedding (only if he gets bald spots?)?

Prin
April 30th, 2005, 12:51 PM
It could be allergies. Usually when a dog sheds from the seasons, new fur grows in before the old falls out completely. If it's not coming in fast enough, he might have either food or seasonal allergies. My dad's Jack loses all his fur from cheap food... He looks like a piggy, all pink with black spots... :)

Cactus Flower
April 30th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Not sure what you're feeding him, but Raj's shedding went down to nearly nothing when I put her on a better quality food. If you're feeding him good quality food, there might be a medical reason why he is shedding so much fur at once.

Is he chasing fire engines :D ?

meb999
April 30th, 2005, 01:44 PM
you should tell the super's wife that he's a dalmation next time she bothers you!!!! :D (see: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13805)

pennynikkel
April 30th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Hi Raingirl,

I just brought my 2 year old bulldog, Blossom, to the vet for the same thing. Her hair on her rear legs was thinning out alot, and I can see her skin underneath, almost black.

The vets says this is "seasonal alopecia", and is a cosmetic condition and not health related. It occurs with the seasons, i.e. around March, and results in the dogs losing hair, and subsequent melatonin, which accounts for the darker skin color. In some dogs, the spots resolve themselves in 3-4 months, others have recurring shedding, and not always fully filling in. Most common in boxers, bulldogs, airedales and schnauzers.

Blossom is now taking liquid form of essential fatty acids, which is supposed to help. So, its not losing hair from all those love-scratches she gets, which I thought it was!

It might be worth a check with your vet...although it is just a cosmetic condition, no worries, health-wise.

Cheers,

raingirl
April 30th, 2005, 05:45 PM
I just figured all dogs shed in the spring for a thinner coat, and shed the thinner coat in the fall for a thicker coat. That's why I figured I could see the spots under the skin, as the new coat is thinner.

He's on a good quality food (he's on kirkland lamb and rice, and he is doing so much better than on the other food he was on-Eagle Pack fish kibble. He has an allergy, we just haven't been able to pin point it yet)

I'll ask the vet about the "seasonal alopecia" when we go there next week for his eye surgery.