Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

american Bulldog

jackieb
April 30th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Does anyone know anything about this breed the one near me the owner is considering giving to a shelter. I was wondering if anyone had info on the breed this dog seems excellent with children.

thanks

Lucky Rescue
April 30th, 2005, 09:49 AM
I love bull breeds and know something about them. If properly raised and socialized, AmBulls should LOVE kids and be very tolerant with them!

They are large, powerful all-purpose hunting and catch dogs and can be stubborn and must have obedience training and an owner who is willing to keep up with it.

They shouldn't be too dog aggressive,and should never be shy or timid or aggressive to people although they may be reserved with strangers. They are good watch dogs.

Cant' wait to see a pic if you take this dog!:)

hounds003
April 30th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Maybe Lucky can confirm on this but I'm sure I read somewhere they were initially bred to be nanny's for children???

jackieb
May 1st, 2005, 05:31 AM
thanks alot

Lucky Rescue
May 1st, 2005, 09:08 AM
I read somewhere they were initially bred to be nanny's for children???

Actually, it's the little Staffordshire Bull Terrier that was dubbed the "Nanny dog".:)

babyrocky1
May 12th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Rocky, my boy plays with an American bull dog, hes a beauty, seems like he has a great temperment, but a word to the wise, American bull dogs are not banned, but they do look similar to a pit bull so you might experience some negative reactions from un-educated, rude people!

jackieb
May 12th, 2005, 04:53 PM
theu decided to rehome it to a lady with older children as this is what he was used too i was a bit upset but we arent supposed to have pets here. I will get a mastiff hopefull end of August when we move or i may considere a american bull dog im looking at different breeds although my heart is set on a english mastiff as i had onebefore