Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First timer who needs help

siymay
April 29th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Hi everyone,
I would like to get some advice on how to cure my two sneezing cats. They are brother and sister from a farm. They are approx. 15 months old and both started to sneeze when they were about 4 months old. I love them like they are my children. I have taken them to see two vets and both said they could not be cured unless surgery was performed and that wasn't even a guarantee. They both are very energenic and purr often. They love to eat and play. They are inside cats only. I mostly feed them science diet products. They both sneeze often and most times large amounts of digusting mucus will be discharged. I am praying someone knows of a cure besides surgery. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Siy

twinmommy
April 29th, 2005, 09:23 PM
What was the exact diagnosis? What would the surgery involve?

oh and welcome to the board!! :D got pix of the beebies??

Writing4Fun
April 29th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Hi there and welcome to the boards. Can you tell us what the vet said the problem was? That might help narrow down some options. I'm sure someone will come on with better advice for you soon. Keep us posted. :)

CyberKitten
April 29th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I cannot imagine a diagnosis of surgery for sneezing. What was the precise diagnosis? Are they Persians? (you know how some Persians have been bred deliberately for those flat faces and some have even difficulty eating b/c of that - breaks my heart that a human would "create" a cat like that but humans have shown themsevles to be pretty uncaring sometimes. Oops, just noticed you got them from a farm - unlikely to be Persian. Ok, might they be allergic to something?Was all that ruled out by the vet? Tests done on everything to see what it is not to figure out what it is (alas, vets and docs for that matter must play detective to figure out a diagnosis sometimes). Did you get a 2nd opinion?

Sneezing is almost always a symptom and not a disease in and of itself. So we'd need to know what it is a symptom of to see if anyone here has had any experience with that illness. I can see a vet recommending surgery if it a malformation of the mucuous membrane or soemthing like that. And I guess the question is -if it that kind of surgery, why would you not have it done? Or are you just reviewing options before you have it done? Does it very serious;y affect their life?

Sorry to hear of the probs?

siymay
April 29th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Hi,
Thanks for responding so quickly. As of now, both of the vets I went to do not know why they sneeze. One vet said with all the sneezing it may have caused damaged to their bone cavity in their nose which then would require surgery replacing the cavity with glass and that was not gurantee. He did prescribe some antibiotics that required several droppings into the ears twice a day and that did not work. The other vet said she has the same problem with one of her cats and that she just lives with it. I was shocked to hear as rare as it is for cats to sneeze, but to have a vet who has the same problem to just say she lives with it. At that time, I pretty much just gave up and was also going to live with it, but the sneezing as gotten so bad I can't leave them unattended in the house due to the digusting mucus they leave when they sneeze. They stay in the basement when I am not around. My wife who got the cats can't deal with the digusting mucus. She is concern even more now that we have a nine month child in the house who loves to play with the cats, but due to the sneezing doesn't play with them as much.

Thanks again for the quick response,

Siy

CyberKitten
April 29th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Wow! That sounds serious - it will affect theirs and your and your child's life if something is not done, I think. Why would a vet just "live with it? Maybe the mucous was not as severe in her cat?

The sneesing sounds like some form of the Cat Flu or a kirtty cold but clearly, if she has been treated by antibiotics, if it was bacterial, it may have cleared up. Not so necesdarily with viral forms of course. As you no doubt know, viruses do not respond to antibiotics. Have you tried to ease the cat's breathing (seems to me she must be in some discomfort with that amt of distress) by using a syringe or eye-droper to remove the mucus from her nostrils (like they do for babies with colds).

Maybe take her to another vet again to see if s/he might offer some additional antibiotics on the off chance that the prior batch were not strong enough and she has the bacterial form of the flu? Also, in the long term, you might try to strengthen up her immune system through good nutrition and play.

Here are two other urls that might help:

http://www.catclinic.co.uk/health/cat%20flu.htm
http://www.petcaretips.net/feline_respiratory_problems.html