Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Non-Recognized Breeds & Reputable Breeders?

Writing4Fun
April 29th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Hi folks. I was just perusing my weekly paper and gaging at the "pups for sale" ads. :yuck: A thought hit me - when you have breeds that are not recognized by the CKC/AKC (such as the Border Collie), what kind of championships are these dogs eligible for? Can they still compete in conformation classes? Who does the judging in these cases? If someone is looking to research a reputable breeder of an unrecognized breed, what types of titles/championships should they be looking for in the dams/sires? I'm just curious, because one of the people advertising had a website, and out of morbid curiosity I went to have a look. Obviously, none of the dams/sires had any kind of titles (although they were thrilled that their latest pup should be having her first heat soon! :mad: ), but then I started wondering if that was because they couldn't have the usual titles. :confused:

Lise
May 1st, 2005, 02:04 PM
Most breeds are recognized by a registry body(not one of the ones the pet stores and puppy mills made up to legitimize selling mixes and dogs with unknown histories at ridiculous prices)The United Kennel Club is a respected registry.The Jack Russel Club keeps thier own registry as does,as does the border collie .The English Shepherd keeps thier own records as well.A good breeder is usually active in thier breed club and I know the breeder I bought my English Shepherd from had dogs with herding titles.All dogs from them were cleared by CERF and Pennhip and this appeared on pedigrees.All this would depend on what breed you are looking at,but personally I would not by a puppy from the paper.Get in touch with the breed club and ask for a breeder recomendation.Hope this helps a bit.

CyberKitten
May 1st, 2005, 02:42 PM
The so called breeder in the newspaper does not sound reputable to me. Another one contributing to the 63% of socalled purebred dogs born this year I guess (a stat I just recently read - the rest come from reputable breeders and rescue groups and reputable breeders account for 12%.

Writing4Fun
May 1st, 2005, 03:44 PM
Oh, good Heavens, No! I know enough never to buy from the newspaper or a pet store. The person who was advertising in the paper has an ad in there every week, no exceptions, which means she has litters of puppies available year-round. Her website makes no mention of championships, health testing, guarantees- it's basically "Here are our dogs, we have puppies, give us a call!". They have apparently been doing this for 27+ years - just imagine!! :( I was just wondering what one should be looking for if they're interested in one of these breeds. I also know that there are a lot of people out there who set up their own registries/clubs for their own purposes, so I was wondering how you would differentiate between these groups and the legitimate ones.

No, in all honesty, it will be many, many years before I get a second dog, and I think I've already decided which breed and which breeder I'll go with(someone who breeds ONLY her champions, spends every week-end at various conformation/agility/obedience trials, breeds one litter once every three years or so, etc...). That is, of course, if she'll have me! ;)

mafiaprincess
May 3rd, 2005, 12:00 PM
http://www.arba.org/

They do conformaion shows for rare breeds and I've heard good things about them.

doggy lover
May 3rd, 2005, 03:33 PM
Border collies look into www.canadianbordercollies.org, I got my one from a woman who had dogs with american papers, she also worked her dogs on her farm. I got to know her by word of mouth, a friend of mine had a pup from a previous litter. I can't say I have seen too many border collie breeders around.