Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

mother's day/bday presents

raingirl
April 29th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Ok...my mom's bday is next tuesday. We never really do anything for mother's day because he bday is right there. This year I wanted to get her something really nice though because she has lent me her car for FREE since February (i was supposed to be paying her, but then all that bad luck with my new job happened).

So...I am at a loss for ideas! My mom isn't a "pampering" type person. She doesn't like clothes or perfumes or soaps. My mom likes to go out to eat and go to movies, and rent movies. however, both my step dad and me agree that she needs some new clothes because it's getting rather embarrasing going out with her when she has nothing to wear but old sweat pants and ugly 80's sweaters.

I would get her a clothing store gift certificate, but likely she will buy things like more sweat pants...Any ideas? She lives 1.5 hours away from me, so finding time to go out together and meet up would be hard. What kind of store would sell clothes to suit a 57 year old woman? I don't think that Old Navy is her style.... she needs some simple jeans or pants, and some simple nice tshirts and sweaters. Maybe Marks Work Warehouse?

Rita
April 29th, 2005, 04:07 PM
What about something like Northern Reflections? Or Reitman's ....

raingirl
April 29th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Oh...didn't think of those. Good idea.

Ideally, I would take her out myself, but she is so busy it would be hard. Maybe I will call my stepdad and see if I can convince him to kidnap her and bring her to me!! (I'm an evil daughter) If he did, then I would take her to square one, as they have tons of stores there.

glasslass
April 29th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Hmmm! Will be watching this thread with interest . . . being 57 myself! :cool:

chico2
April 29th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Awwww Raingirl,I am 61 yrs old,just went the other day and bought a couple of nice tunics at Old Navy....I know to draw the limit with"young"clothes,but I also refuse to wear any"old lady stuff"as long as I have a resonably good figure that I am proud of..
I would not be caught dead going anywhere in track-suit pants,at home maybe..also,I do not want anyone buying me clothes,except maybe a nightgown :D
If she gardens,like I do,buy her something nice,a nice bush or something...
I am not much for going out to eat,especially not Mothers Day,too darn busy,Mothers Day should be relaxing....having someone else cook at home,is nice.
People tend to give me stuffed animals and I have a whole bunch....a whole collection of Garfields :D
When you speak about your mother it sounds like she is an OLD lady,57 is NOT old,61 is also NOT old,wait until I reach 80,then I'm old :D :DMAYBE!!

Writing4Fun
April 29th, 2005, 05:02 PM
When you speak about your mother it sounds like she is an OLD lady,57 is NOT old,61 is also NOT old,wait until I reach 80,then I'm old :D :DMAYBE!!
LOL Chico! You're right, of course. "Old" is all a state of mind. I know people who are in their 50's and have given up and are waiting to die. I also know people in their 70's who are still rarin' to go! :D They did a week-long news series on our local station about "older" people who were still "living young". One 70-something woman was teaching yoga (she started yoga in her 50's to help with her health). Another 80-something gentleman was still cycling competitively. Yet another was skiing competitively. I wish I was as lively now in my 30's as some of these people are in their 70's!! :eek:

Raingirl, it all depends on Mom's style. I'd suggest Mark's Work Warehouse too. They have nice stuff that was even approved by my former employer as acceptable "business casual" wear. :rolleyes: I also think you'll find some nice stuff at Old Navy. Reitmans - it really depends on the store. I've seen some pretty far-out stuff at some of their outlets, and yet others seemed to "Sears-ish" to me. :yuck:

raingirl
April 29th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I didn't mean to make her sound old, but she definately dresses older than her age. She doesn't have the best health either (and despite me offering all kinds of advice to help her get better, she doesn't take it) and is quite overweight. That's why i figured old navy would be out of the picture, as she wouldn't really fit into anything they have. When I look at her figure, I can't picture any store that really fits for her. Ohh...I have an idea, maybe Winners! There is so much selection of styles and sizes, and not too expensive!

As I kid I was always embarrased of my mother as she would wear threadbare tshirts from the 60's and 70's out to the mall (you know the ones that had those plasticy iron-on sayings with sparkles and such-you could see her bra through them!!) She will wear things until they fall apart. It's fine if you wear them in the house, but not in public! She will wear old thermal underwear (you know that stuff that has a waffle pattern?) that has all kinds of patches and holes that have been fixed to swiss chalet and she doesn't see a problem with it! EWWWW. Drives me nuts! If I go to visit, I always suggest we order in, so we all don't get embarassed. My mother is an "odd" person...kinda hard to explain. Lives in her own world most of the time. I often joke that I'm afraid to invite her to my own wedding for fear that she will embarrass me to the max!

Writing4Fun
April 29th, 2005, 06:24 PM
She doesn't have the best health either (and despite me offering all kinds of advice to help her get better, she doesn't take it) and is quite overweight. That's why i figured old navy would be out of the picture, as she wouldn't really fit into anything they have.
You're right, she wouldn't (I know I don't :sad: ). If you're looking for plus-size clothing, then Reitman's might actually have something (their plus-size stuff isn't as "young" as their regular stuff). Mark's does have some plus-size stuff. Addition-Elle is another option, but make sure you go to an outlet mall or when they're having a major sale, 'cause WOW they can be expensive! :eek: I've never shopped at Winners, but WalMart might have some stuff in Mom's style. Good luck! :thumbs up

glasslass
April 29th, 2005, 09:10 PM
My mom turns 80 this year and I can't say she is really old yet. She still has a young attitude and that is everything. Just an example of her sense of humor. After my pop died, she went to a hospice sponsored support group for widows and widowers. She said the group was really feeling sorry for themselves because they didn't know what to do with their time. When they asked her what she did, she told them she didn't have a problem. Said she bought herself a new toy, an electric screwdriver, and she was having lots of fun with it. So one woman asked her what she used it for. Mom answered, "Lots of things! I go all over the house looking for something to screw!" :D

twinmommy
April 29th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Please don't think me a total drag for expressing my opinion here..... :(

As I kid I was always embarrased of my mother as she would wear threadbare tshirts from the 60's and 70's out to the mall (you know the ones that had those plasticy iron-on sayings with sparkles and such-you could see her bra through them!!) She will wear things until they fall apart. It's fine if you wear them in the house, but not in public! She will wear old thermal underwear (you know that stuff that has a waffle pattern?) that has all kinds of patches and holes that have been fixed to swiss chalet and she doesn't see a problem with it! EWWWW. Drives me nuts! If I go to visit, I always suggest we order in, so we all don't get embarassed. My mother is an "odd" person...kinda hard to explain. Lives in her own world most of the time. I often joke that I'm afraid to invite her to my own wedding for fear that she will embarrass me to the max!

I really have a soft spot when people say that their moms are embarrassing. I am sure as children we ALL embarrassed our mothers ten-fold by the time we were not two years old!! They would never shun us, and yet as we age, we find them eccentric and quirky and roll our eyes. :sad:

Raingirl, I don't know your situation, and this is just a general opinion, not meant for you directly.

p.s. Mark's Work Warehouse has cool things lately!! :thumbs up

chico2
April 30th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Raingirl,I did not mean to be flippant about your question,you thinking 57 is old,just kind of threw me :D
If your mom is very overweight,maybe she's given up on trying to look good.
There are many alternatives to tracksuits and many stores in the country have larger sizes,I don't want to push Walmart,but they have a big plus-size section.A nice Lounge set,in soft velour in a pretty colour,I am sure she would appreciate in her size.
A friend of mine is really large,but always looks good,there are choices out there,since our population is largely overweight.
Many"kids"don't put much effort in finding something mom loves,figuring,as long as they buy something it's ok....mom still will always love them!
Put some thought into what mom is interested in or likes,it is after all only one day a year,that mom is officially celebrated.

Prin
April 30th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Just because she wears certain clothes, doesn't mean you have to give her those clothes. Sounds like your mom needs something classy and elegant to make her feel sexy again. :)

Karin
April 30th, 2005, 05:22 PM
How about taking her out for a mother/daughter lunch, then take in a mother/daughter movie....and then go on a mother/daughter shopping stop, let her pick out her own outfit. Somehow I think the time spent will be appreciated and remembered longer.

lilith_rizel
April 30th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Speaking of days for parents, when is father's day????

twinmommy
April 30th, 2005, 09:31 PM
usually the third sunday of the month of june..no?

raingirl
April 30th, 2005, 10:16 PM
usually somewhere around June 11. My dad's bday is either June 10 or 11, and I always remember that fathers day is around the same time. Same with mother's day always near my mom's bday.

Karin, it's a nice idea but I do not have that kind of $$. It's either lunch, or a movie, or a inexpensive outfit. I really am broke. Usually I don't get her anything (we don't do gifts in our family much) so she is lucky this year.

Karin
April 30th, 2005, 10:28 PM
usually somewhere around June 11. My dad's bday is either June 10 or 11, and I always remember that fathers day is around the same time. Same with mother's day always near my mom's bday.

Karin, it's a nice idea but I do not have that kind of $$. It's either lunch, or a movie, or a inexpensive outfit. I really am broke. Usually I don't get her anything (we don't do gifts in our family much) so she is lucky this year.

Then maybe a picnic lunch at a park? I guess I was trying to say to give her your time. She may enjoy some one on one time to just chat. Sometimes the best things in life do come cheap. I'm just sayin'....think out of the box for a second, what can you give?