Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wonderful phone call!!!!!

Cactus Flower
April 29th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Yesterday I got a phone call that made me really pause for a moment.
It started like this:

Hello?

"Hi, Sadie?"

Yes?

"Do you remember giving me a cat, oh...about 15 years ago? In Tampa, Florida?"

It took me about half a minute to remember a cat I'd named Nietzsche. Then it all came back to me clearly:

15 years ago I was in a little country restaurant (the kind attached to someone's house- charming) in Vermont, and this cat came up to me and just claimed my lap, refusing to budge. I asked the owner about him, and he said it was a stray that keeps getting into the restaurant. He remarked about how he had taken to me, and encouraged me to please take the cat home.
I don't dislike cats, but I'm a dog person- not educated in the least about cats, either. But this cat didn't seem to care about that. He just sat in my lap and stared at me philosophically (hence the name I chose-my favorite philosopher).
I took the cat with me, planning to find him a good home, and wondering how my beagle, Dacia, was going to respond to our visitor.
Dacia was less than amused, and made that abundantly clear, as Nietzsche sat in that same calm, thoughtful demeanor, staring back at the unhappy beagle- unphased.
A week later I returned to Florida and visited my Mom. I brought Nietzsche with me. My Mom was very concerned about my cat allergy and surprised that I'd agreed to take him and find him a good home. I told her this cat was special, that he needed my help, and that I was taking extra allergy medicine in the meantime.
A friend of hers came by about an hour later, and fell in LOVE with the kitty. Apparently the feeling was mutual, because Nietzsche forgot about my lap completely. He nuzzled her, kissed her (didn't know cats kissed!) and stood on her shoulders, grooming her hair! He sat in her lap and extended his arms up to her neck and just lay that way with his head on her chest, purring and purring.
She begged me to let her adopt him, and I consented.

Now- the phone call. How did she get my number, 15 years later, in New Mexico? Well another friend of my Mom's (in Florida) gave it to her. That friend has maintained contact with my Mom over the years, and had my number from when my Mom was living with me here.

As it turns out, after this lady took Nietzsche home, her husband passed away. She was calling to tell me how much Nietzsche helped her during that time, how he has filled the last 15 years with joy and warmth, and how happy and spoiled he is. She wanted to thank me, and tell me how much he has meant to her!

That phone call made my whole month.

Niezsche is still alive and well (didn't know they lived THAT long!), and filling her days with happiness.

I'm still grinning over that phone call :D .

Sneaky2006
April 29th, 2005, 03:07 PM
That is so sweet!!!! Nice and fuzzy! :love:
I can't believe after all these years she called you... sounds like you found the perfect home for him. :love:

Shamrock
April 29th, 2005, 03:10 PM
That is a wonderful story! :) I really enjoyed it... a great happy ending!

CyberKitten
April 29th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Thx for sharing that wonderful story!!

heeler's rock!
April 29th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Awww!! Sadie, that's an amazing story! I felt like I was in a dream, living every word! Wow.....that must be the best feeling ever!! To know you gave a cat, and a human another chance at love. How wonderful!! :D :grouphug:

Cactus Flower
April 29th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Thanks, everyone! I know it was a long post, so I really appreciate you reading and commenting.

And yes, I'm still all warm and fuzzy here! How nice it was of her to call me after all this time!

Rita
April 29th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I have goosebumps and tears in my eyes!
Fate played a role here I'm sure :angel:

Prin
April 29th, 2005, 04:08 PM
yey!! Lucky kitty! :)

chico2
April 29th, 2005, 04:18 PM
CF,that is a great heartwarming story and so nice of the lady to call you,obviously a wonderful person,as are you :love:
FYI,cats kiss,my Chico is a real kisser and hugger,put's his mouth right on mine....the others don't do that,but I can kiss them as much as I want :D :D
Also,cats can live to be 25,if we're lucky,my oldest cat lived to be 19,the others 17 and 18.....so,they are a longterm responsability and love :love:

glasslass
April 29th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Wow! Almost sounds like it was fate, karma, whatever, that brought that little kitty to you so that it could get where it was meant to go. And then to get that fantastic phone call . . . you are truly blessed! Beautiful story!