Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Could a puppy impregnate a female in heat?

nymph
April 29th, 2005, 01:25 PM
How do you tell if a bitch is in heat? I did read Tip 57, but this bitch that I'm babysitting had bloody discharge, like period, is this a sign of estrus cycle? She just had a litter about 8 weeks ago. Her owners are out of town for 2 days, so I agreed to take care of her, until Sunday.

My puppy Diego hasn't been neutered yet. This morning he started to constantly sniff her butt and actually trying to hump her. :mad: I could tell that she didn't like it, but she's so sweet that she simply just walked away. I do not want Diego to accidentally impregnate this dog, but could he at this young age of 15 weeks? There is no real danger as they are in separate rooms when no one is at home, and we are constantly watching them when we are at home.

Karin
April 29th, 2005, 02:37 PM
If she stands for him, and he mounts her and ties, a good chance he could breed her. 15 weeks is rather young though. You can have a sperm sample submitted for a count if you want, to be sure. But, you would have to go through the motions...(pun intended.) A male can sire a litter post surgery as well..up to 2 weeks.

As long as you keep them seperate, all is well. The female estrus is one week coming in, 1 week in (standing), 1 week going out of heat. Not a hard fast rule but a common one. All dogs are different.