Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found Kitty

Lissa
April 29th, 2005, 10:33 AM
When I got home from walking Dodger this morning (10:50am), a little grey kitty (with a few stripes) was on my doorstep. He waltzed right into the house, wasn't scared of my dog (which is unusual in my neighbourhood) and really didn't care that my cat was hissing up a storm at him!!

Anyway, he seems to be in perfect health, not skinny but when I offered him food he wolfed it down (still eating as a type). I think he has been fixed and declawed and is VERY friendly.

Anyway, I "know" most of the cats in my neighbourhood and I have never seen this guy out and about. I don't know what to do!? I'm not sure if I should just put him back outside so he can find his own way home?

He is obviously well-cared for and I don't think he is suppose to be outside because his coat is so soft and clean. He is very friendly, loves to be cuddled and is very vocal about wanting food!!

I live in the east end of Ottawa - I really hope somedoy on here knows of a lost cat!

My family is going to 'kill" me if they see this cat inside - but I hope I can convince them to let him stay.

I don't have access to a car (everyone is at work), if this lost kitty behaves in the house then I'll keep him insdie and take him to the vet to see if he has a microchip later. Would it be best to let the cat find its own way home? If it stays until I find his owners, I'll have to put him in the dog crate - otherwise my family will have a hairy!! Is that ok!?

Thanks!!

Melissa

I'll enclose a picture

happycats
April 29th, 2005, 10:40 AM
He's gorgeous!!
Can you print up some "found cat" flyers with his pic ?? If so make a bunch up, and hang them up around your neighbourhood.
Also check with your local pounds, shelters, and vets to see if anyone has reported a missing cat.

( I personally would not put him back outside, as he has no claws, and has no way to defend himself, )

SarahLynn123
April 29th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I think he has been fixed and declawed and is VERY friendly.

I would keep him inside, with no claws he is unable to defend himself. Could you ask some neighbours if they recognize him, call the spca's, humane society's and city to see if someone has called them about their missing cat. If there is no tatoo, or microchip can you hang up some signs around your neighbourhood and in vet offices and pet stores? It sounds like someone left the door open to long and kitty decided to take a stroll!

Hope this helps and his owners find him soon!

SarahLynn123
April 29th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Happycats beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!

Lissa
April 29th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Ok, thanks guys, I'll get on the phone right away! Then if that turns up nothing and if he's not chipped I'll print out a few pictures etc.. I hope that someone has already phoned about him - my family is going to freak! Thanks!!

Melissa

badger
April 29th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Brightened up the pic a little. He's gorgeous. Believe me, their radar isn't that good, he'd never make it home alone. I would post in a radius of several streets, since you don't know what direction he came from. Oh, and look for 'lost' posts as you go, the owners might already be out there. Good luck!

happycats
April 29th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Happycats beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL :o

Good job Badger, the pic shows how beautiful he really is! He looks like he belongs to someone.

Lissa
April 29th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Alright, I've contacted the humane society, given them information and a couple of pictures. I am in the midst of making a poster and when I take my dog out next, I'll put a sign up at Petsmart. If I don't hear anything soon, I will put an ad in the newspaper. Thanks for your help!

Sorry that the picture was so dark - but it was the only one that was small enough to attach.

He's certainly made himself quite comfortable! He doesn't seem worried but he follows me everywhere and has run to the door a couple of times.

Melissa

Here he is:

chico2
May 1st, 2005, 03:56 PM
What a pretty cat,knowing he's declawed makes me so sad for him,hopefully the owners are looking for him :sad:

Lissa
May 1st, 2005, 05:22 PM
THE GOOD AND BAD NEWS:
The good news is that this guy does have claws, I had not checked myself and trusted my friend and it also turns out that he isn't fixed either. I assumed that she was correct and never realized that he had claws myself because he's been so gentle. (I did let the humane society know and haven't received any calls either way)
The bad news: nobody has contacted me about this poor guy, the only thing left for me to do is post a couple of ads in the paper. But my family is quickly losing their patience and want him gone!
My grand-parents are old school and think that he is fine outside by himself and that cats are "self-sustaining" and naturally born to be outside and that there is no such thing as an indoor cat. They yell at me everytime I feed him but when I mention taking him to the humane society they call me a "cat killer" because he will be euthanized.
I have a bad repuatation of bringing in strays and keeping them so I can understand where they are coming from. If I lived on my own I wouldn't hesitate about keeping him but that won't be happening for another year.
They have already forced me to put him outside but I sneak him back in whenever I can. He is clearly not used to being left outdoors and cries the whole time he's out.
Do you think if I took him to the humane society he would be automatically euthanized if he's not claimed!?? He is the most affectionate and uncomplaining cat that I have ever come across but I'm sure that there's an endless amount of cats like that around. :sad:
I can't imagine him being in a cage because he hates the x-large dog crate.
I just don't believe that his owners would not have been able to trace him down yet (with all the signs and a report at the humane society) - how long do I need to wait before being able to adopt him out to someone? He was first spotted on Tuesday but the signs have only been up for 3 days.
I'm sorry this post has turned out so long, I am just so frustrated and upset about this poor cat's fate, he is too wonderful to be put to sleep. And I am really upset with my proclaimed "animal-loving-family". I probably sound immature now but this is exactly what my grand-mother said "I don't want another animal because it makes the house stink in the winter" - what kind of reason is that!? All I want to do is find him a wonderful home, not keep him to stink up the precious house!! How can that be more important then saving a life?
Do you think that since he has claws he can stay outside if I continue to feed him (while I find him a new home??) Or is it okay to bring him to the humane soceity?

Melissa

Safyre
May 1st, 2005, 06:40 PM
I find that a lot of people on this website over react to bringing animals to the OSPCA.
The OSPCA will attempt to find a home for this animal. I am fortunate to live in a smaller city, and therefore, the euthanisa rate is extremely low, due to volume.
you are not a bad person if you bring an animal to the OSPCA. You cannot be expected to save every animal, while it is tempting to do so. You are not bad if you cannot do that.

There is an over population, not every animal can be saved, otherwise the population would be very high. Ever think about what would happen if all shelters were 'no kill' shelters? How many more animals would spend thier lives in cages, unwanted?

I say you are doing a great job trying to find the owner, if no one claims him within one week, bring him to the OSPCA

CyberKitten
May 1st, 2005, 07:11 PM
Re the SPCA it depends where you live. Personally even tho in my area, the SPCA is the only game around, I would not bring a cat there. As my dad says when he brought them some eqipment, "they don't wven have theor health". It's a terrible place and a cat who is a stray has no chance there , or very little. Unless he stands out immensely and this is kitten season. In a city, this guy would be dead in 3 days. In Halifax, 2 families whose cats were picked up were dead in 3 days even tho the family tried to claim them on the 4th day. So - if you want him to live, find another cat rescue or keep him or hopefully you will find his "owner".

Good luck!

amber416
May 2nd, 2005, 01:16 AM
I agree that the shelters really depend on where you live....it seems to me, though, that with many kill shelters, adult cats don't have much of a shot. I wouldn't take the cat there, if i were you. Do you know anyone, any friends or family, that could take him in while you look for his owner or for somebody to adopt him on your own? Or do you know of any rescues in your area? Maybe do a little research and see if you come across any local cat rescues that could take him. If he has to stay outside, do you think you could get him neutered? You are in a tough position and i think it's great how much you want to help this guy. A lot of people would either just ignore the cat or take it right to the shelter without a second thought. Good luck!!!

badger
May 2nd, 2005, 06:14 AM
Here's a cat rescue in Ottawa. You could give them a call and explain your situation.
http://foap.on.ca/

If worse comes to worst, since you have found what seems to be a very adoptable cat, you might think about giving him to the Ottawa Humane Society. I don't know what their record is.
Anybody have any experience with them? They are not no-kill.
This is from their website:

Q: When and why do you euthanize animals?
A. We often hear people leaving our building saying they wish they could bring them all home. The implication is always clear: They are adopting this one but leaving the others here to die. Nothing could be further from the truth. True, the Society and all societies like it must euthanize some animals because we are given the sometimes overwhelming task of solving the problems created in our community by irresponsible animal ownership. That being said, we are proud to report that the Society is single-minded in its desire to save the lives of animals and we do not euthanize adoptable animals. All animals are assessed medically and for temperament. If they pass both, the Society keeps them in our care until they are adopted.

Good luck!

chico2
May 2nd, 2005, 07:22 AM
Lissa,the best option would be if you could keep him with you and try to find a home,"the smelly house in winter"is not yet an issue :p
As you say,he's clearly not an outside cat and would not survive long if left to his own devices.
I have no idea why some people think cats can survive on their own outside,they are not tigers,also without claws chances are his mouse-catching days are over :sad:
I would check out the cat-rescue Badger supplied you with...the problem with a cat in a cage at SPCA is that he will not be showing his true nature,being stressed and unhappy,therfore might be considered unadoptable..
I would without hesitation give a cat to my local HS,I know they do not euthanize a healthy animal and an already declawed( :sad: )cat would be very adoptable,but Ottawa is a larger city,with probably hundreds of cats in their shelter...
Lissa,I commend you for helping this little guy out,without you he might not have made it,hopefully the cat-rescue can help you and him.

badger
May 2nd, 2005, 08:00 AM
Chico, turns out he is not declawed and not neutered. Usual profile! I hope that rescue group take this animal off her hands, the current situation does not sound tenable.

Lissa, even if you'd like to keep the cat with you until he is re-homed, you would have to get him neutered first (and vaccinated) which is about 100$. Adopting out an un-neutered cat is a bad idea. The whole process takes about ten days - vaccinations and a ten-day wait before neutering. Finding a home for him can take weeks. I've had cats for adoption living with me for as long as three months. It doesn't sound as if your family is willing to help you with any of this.

If you can persuade the rescue to take him, it would be better for him (and probably for you!).

chico2
May 2nd, 2005, 08:04 AM
Oh,how could Lissa get that fact wrong :confused: I suppose that totally changes the picture... :sad:

Lissa
May 2nd, 2005, 08:44 AM
I have possibly great news...a women I phoned because she had lost her cat last october has agreed to meet this cat. We know that it is not her lost cat "Sammy" :sad: but there is a resemblance. She already has a cat and a dog (only on weekends) so we are going to introduce this found kitty to her and her family and see how it goes. She sounds like a wonderful person and I really hope that she decides to bring him into her home. I know that her last cat was microciped and fixed so hopefully she would consider doing that for this kitty too. I can't afford to do it myself now but I can offer to split the cost with her (if it seems like it won't insult her).
I'm trying not to get too excited but I'm really hopeful that this will work!

Yes, yes, yes, I know that it is ridiculous that I assumed he was declawed. I honestly didn't check him myself and because he is so gentle I didn't even feel his claws until Saturday. :p :p :p
Thank-you all so much for your help and putting up with me (and the whole declawed fact fiasco!) :rolleyes:

Thanks again and I'll let you know if it works out!

Melissa

Lissa
May 4th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Well it seems that all endings do in fact turn out sad. The lady changed her mind - saying her husband wasn't ready for another cat. I called my vets office and they are not willing to reduce the price of vaccinations or neutering. It is going to cost me close to (if not more than) $300. I would love to be able to keep him and find him a great home but this is the 3rd abandoned animal that I have rescued and spent money on in the last 3 years. At least I was able to keep the others or find them a great home. Since my family is completely unwilling to let the cat stay until we find a home, I don't really have a choice anymore. I suppose I am just delaying the inevitable now. My local human society has 5 pages of cats up for adoption, I'm so upset that I may be sentencing this cat to death. I've tried all my powers of persuasion upon my family and haven't gotten anywhere.
This just cements the fact that I need to move into my own place so I can do something to help these poor abandoned animals.
I hate that someone can abandon a cat like this, he's so wonderful.
Melissa

chico2
May 4th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Aww Lissa,is that him in the picture??? How can you possibly leave him at SPCA,it would break my heart into pieces,he seems soo comfortable and content in the pic.
Please try to locate a rescue other than the OSPCA... :sad:

Lissa
May 4th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I've tried phoning "Friends of Abandoned Pets" (thanks badger) without success so I'll give e-mailing a try. The other rescue I came across said they took animals from over-crowded shelters who cannot adapt to shelter life, are older or who have special needs - would they consider taking this cat anyway? (they're affiliated with the Ottawa humane society though).

Does anybody know any other rescues in the Ottawa area? I can't find any others...

Thanks

And yes, that is the cat in the picture, he has adapted quite well to this house, I only wish I could give him the perfect home myself. He is truly remarkable - better behaved then my cat Minnow most of the time!! He si so dog like - he comes to the door to greet you and follows me around in heel position!

chico2
May 4th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I am just surprised he's adapted so fast to your other cat and dogs..you found him Saturday April 29th,right :confused:
He must be a wonderful cat and your other cat too,because it usually takes a long time for one cat to get used to another,especially an unaltered male and also the dog...but I suppose it can happen :confused:

Lissa
May 4th, 2005, 01:57 PM
I was just as confused myself - it never even occured to me to introduce them properly so its a good thing that they acted calmly towards each other. I think Minnow must have seen this cat around outside before I discovered him so she was accustomed to his presence!? I'm not saying that she likes him in the house but she has accepted it (he's been inside on/off since the 29th of April). She's been spending more time with me to "supervise" this new cats behaviour.

My dog loves cats and this cat obviously knew about dogs before I found him because he instantly rubbed his scent all over Dodger. He gets nervous when Dodger gets the puppy sillies but other than that they like to snuggle!

This cat obviously doesn't like confrontation - I think because he is young (maybe 8 months -1 year) because he doesn't act like an unaltered male cat (from what I've been told) and because it was difficult to tell if he had/hadn't been neutered. He doesn't scratch, spray, have sexual urges (with the unaltered cats outside) and he is not aggressive or territorial. He is much stronger than Minnow and could have easily hurt her since he has claws and she doesn't but he just walks from my testy siam!

Melissa

Here's "Pretty Kitty" (found cat) and Minnow last night - Minnow was on my lap then Pretty Kitty felt left out so he hopped up, stepped on Minnow who responded with a half-hearted-hiss, miraculously nothing became of it and they slept like this for almost an hour!

rushlars
May 4th, 2005, 07:45 PM
How can I put a picture in here ???

happycats
May 4th, 2005, 08:21 PM
I think you have posted in the wrong spot. Go to the LOST pet section, and when you create a new thread, go to manage attachments, then browse, pick you picture, and upload it, and add your comments.
Hope this helps :)

rushlars
May 5th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Here is a picture of the Shadow