Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flying with cat and dog

kayla
April 28th, 2005, 08:42 PM
I'm flying my dog and cat out to BC with me on Saturday. Kayla goes as checked baggage and Momma Cat in the cabin with me. I had heard somewhere not to feed them the night before, but also heard to keep food and (frozen?) water in their cages for on flight. It is a direct flight, about 5 hours, leaving 7:45am. Should I feed them in the morning before I leave at all? Or even the night before? Or should they only be eating tomorrow morning?

I've decided against giving them any sedatives, just hoping Momma Cat won't freak out and start howling in the cabin...

This is my first time flying with them I'm a little nervous any advice would be appreciated!

Karin
April 28th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I'm flying my dog and cat out to BC with me on Saturday. Kayla goes as checked baggage and Momma Cat in the cabin with me. I had heard somewhere not to feed them the night before, but also heard to keep food and (frozen?) water in their cages for on flight. It is a direct flight, about 5 hours, leaving 7:45am. Should I feed them in the morning before I leave at all? Or even the night before? Or should they only be eating tomorrow morning?

I've decided against giving them any sedatives, just hoping Momma Cat won't freak out and start howling in the cabin...

This is my first time flying with them I'm a little nervous any advice would be appreciated!

I would feed Kayla the night before. Holding the morning feeding will not hurt her.( Handlers will not clean up anything & you do not want them too either) Forget about any frozen water. By the time you check in, board and relying on every thing being on time...ice will be water. It's a short flight.

SnowDancer
April 28th, 2005, 11:32 PM
I would feed night before. Re sedatives have you spoken with your vet? You do not want your cat to start howling. As an animal lover I obviously would not complain about a pet in cabin - but I sure have heard others start to complain even before the flight takes off - and the pet had to go as cargo. Better to be safe if in doubt. Your airline should have warned you that this could happen.

Karin
April 28th, 2005, 11:59 PM
I would feed night before. Re sedatives have you spoken with your vet? You do not want your cat to start howling. As an animal lover I obviously would not complain about a pet in cabin - but I sure have heard others start to complain even before the flight takes off - and the pet had to go as cargo. Better to be safe if in doubt. Your airline should have warned you that this could happen.

Airlines are in the business of transporting people on a commercial basis only, there directive is to start at point A and arrive at point B intact. Anything in between, such as your pet's well being is up to you, the owner.
No airline should warn anyone of "howling"......??

SnowDancer
April 29th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I agree with Karin re the howling being your responsibility. I guess I was just fortunate in dealing with a dog loving airline employee who did warn me that if any passenger complained on seeing my 9 lb. mini Dachshund prior to boarding that he/she had a problem with flying with pets for whatever reason - and often they are made up reasons - I would not be able to take him in-cabin. Also that if the plane had to stop en route say Calgary from Toronto without a plane change I could be asked to remove myself from the flight to make alternate arrangements for my dog. I was dealing with Air Canada and Lufthansa. On a flight from Vancouver, a woman was about to have a problem with her 4 lb. something doodle until I offered to change seats with the person next to her - otherwise she was not going to be able to fly with her dog. Fortunately my original seat was far enough away to mollify the other passenger since there was obviously no allergy or we all would have known by that point.

kayla
April 29th, 2005, 11:57 AM
I'm flying Westjet and they NEVER said anything about me not being able to bring her on board if someone doesn;t want to sit next to her :eek: .. I wouldn't be able to check her either since I have a soft carrying case for her so it will fit under the seat. I really hope there isn't a problem..

My dad's SO said I should give her gravol?? She does to her cats and dogs when flying and I looked it up on the internet and it says it's safe it you use a 1/4 of a 50mg tablet. I just really don't want to self-medicate her and don't have time for a vet since I have my last exam this afternoon..

I also decided against medicating because apparently some animals react bad to it and actually get really hyper and I just figured it's better without.

Maybe I'll try phoning the vet and see what they say, but my vet is usually really unhelpful anyway, another reason I didn't go see him about medication..

CyberKitten
April 29th, 2005, 02:47 PM
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GIVE HER GRAVOL!!

Gravol affects different cats in various ways. Some become acutely hyper and are screaming maniacs. You and the cat will be unceremoniously asked to deplane if that happens. Not to mention how upsetting it will be for kitty.

I have travelled with my cat by plane but it took much arranging. The airline will only allow so many animals on any one flight so you need to reserve her place several days in advance. And do not take her out of the carrier whatever you do!! My policy has been to be an unobtussive as possible.

Good luck!

kayla
April 29th, 2005, 04:27 PM
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GIVE HER GRAVOL!!

Gravol affects different cats in various ways. Some become acutely hyper and are screaming maniacs. You and the cat will be unceremoniously asked to deplane if that happens. Not to mention how upsetting it will be for kitty.

Ok I won't, thanks for the warning cyberkitten! I heard any sedative can make the cat hyper, which is why I chose not to use one. I reserved a spot for Kayla and Momma Cat already so that should be fine. I just hope Momma Cat stays calm, maybe I'll keep her up all night so she's nice and tired.

One other thing, am I supposed to go up when the airline does pre-boarding for those people with kids or who need special assistance? Maybe then I can get her settled in before a lot of people are around, but I don't want to go up if a cat doesn't count as special assistance..

CyberKitten
April 29th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Yes, definitely obtain preboarding assistance. You could give her Rescue Remedy or cocculine - another herbal - without probs. Both would make her sleepy but not sedated in the sense that would be dangerous to a cat in an area with less oxygen or where she might fall asleep with no-one to observe her if anything happens.

kayla
May 1st, 2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the advice. I preboarded and the lady beside me never even knew there was a cat under my seat until we landed. Momma Cat was very quiet and good, I didn't have to give her a sedative or anything. Kayla soiled her kennel and was covered in crap when she arrived :yuck: but was otherwise happy!

lilith_rizel
May 1st, 2005, 12:03 PM
Kayla, I just flew with 2 kitties about a month ago. I fed them 3 hours before the flight. Make sure you have some sort of lining in their cages, incase they need to go.