Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kittens playing rough?

monman
April 28th, 2005, 06:53 PM
My two kittens play with each other constantly. It seems like they're just playing most of the time and I'm glad they have each other, but I'm not sure at what point playing becomes aggressive. Should I be breaking them apart if they are nipping at each other and swiping with their claws or is this normal behaviour? They make no sounds when they play but often leap on, sneak up on and swipe each other. I'm concerned that they may hurt each other when I'm not around.

Lucky Rescue
April 28th, 2005, 07:17 PM
If the kittens are the same age and same size, don't worry. It may look like they are beating the daylights out of each other, but if one goes too far the other will tell it to back off.:)

mona_b
April 28th, 2005, 08:17 PM
I definately agree with LR.

I have 2 that are 6 months apart.My female Winnie is 13 months and my male Casper is 19 months.They go at it till there is no end.They chase each other,have each other in headlocks,sneak up on each other.bite each other(but not to the point they scream out in pain).After their rough housing is done,they clean each other and fall asleep.I have never had any major fights with them.And I have had them since they were 8 weeks old.

No need to break them up.As LR stated,if it goes to far,one will let the other know. :thumbs up

monman
April 28th, 2005, 08:37 PM
awesome. i feel much better now. thanks, guys.

Karin
April 28th, 2005, 08:56 PM
They are just playing!

Now, if us humans played like this...we would be arrested. lol!

mona_b
April 28th, 2005, 09:15 PM
LMAO @ Karin... :D

Any pics of them?

monman
April 30th, 2005, 08:01 AM
here are my babies during more peaceful times

BEAR_NZ
May 1st, 2005, 11:21 PM
gosh i have been having problems with this myself... Momma Cat who is about 1 year old and quite a big cat, really laying into her tiny baby Bella 6 weeks, playing really rough to the point where she bites bella around her tiny neck and kicks her with her hind legs. bella screams a muffled scream but momma cat still won't release her. I have been so frightened that she is trying to kill her. she stalks bella just as though she stalks mice. at first i thought that she was trying to teach Bella how to hunt, but now i really fear for her safety. Bella appears to be terrified of her.what should i do? :confused: