Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Frustrated help please

ksjduffle
April 28th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Hello I have Luke (mini doxie) and I have posted on here once or twice about him when we first got him, now he is approx 18 weeks old and has a multitude of behaviors. First started out he would not eat finally found a food he would eat and I leave food out for him at all times but for some odd reason he has an aggression for instance my daughter had a pack of peanut butter crackers she had eaten the crackers but the wrapper fell on the floor when she went to pick up the wrapper the dog came running over and grabbed the wrapper and started growling and tried to bite kelsea, did similar behavior to me when my youngest daughter dropped a grape and i went to pick it up. I have no idea why he is doing this also aggression with food bowl but only once in awhile he is so young I dont understand why the behavior he has never been denied food. Potty training was doing wonderful now that has gone bad too, he will go when you take him outside but you have to take him out without a leash because he wont go if on a leash, then you cant get him to come back inside he runs and lays under the truck, he will not come when called and believe me i have been working with him alot! trying to get him to come wont even come for treats nothing, I finally got the whinning to stop when in the crate at night but I am just so frustrated with him because I can not have a dog that bites, uses the bathroom in the house all the time with a 1yr old and a 4yr old. I dont want to get rid of him I know he is just a puppy and I have had alot of dogs in my life grew up breeding mini schnuzers and with my aunts grooming business and she trains dogs also (unfortunately we live 1600miles from each other) so im not new to dogs. I have never seen a dog in my entire life that is so hard to train. We really were hoping to have a loving family pet but you try to even hold him to snuggle him and all he wants to do is be mouthy and nip all the time. uuuggghhhh please help me with some suggestions

levimh
April 28th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Have you taken him to obedience classes? They help a lot.

But about the eating agression...it could be that you leave the food out all day long. In his mind he doesn't know you're giving him the food if it sits out all day. Before you give him his food, tell him to do someting (anything) for it, then put it down. If he doesn't eat it within 10 minutes, take it up. He should soon catch on that you're in charge of the food. It might sound mean to make him so hungry, but in between meals, just work on some commands, while giving him some treats.

Trinitie
April 28th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Pick the food up. The dog is food aggressive because he thinks the floor provides the food, and not the people. Free feeding can cause many behaviour problems. He must learn that the food comes from the people in his life, not the floor. Have everyone feed him at some point. Put the bowl down, after he's in a sit/stay, but only have a little bit of food in it. When he finishes the food in the bowl, and looks at you for more, take some in your hand, and let him see you put the food in the bowl. Keep doing this until you think he's eatten enough. Between meals, you can provide him training treats, but don't give him too many, or he won't care about his supper too much.

Another thing to do, is pretend to eat his food BEFORE you put it down. Stand in front of him, tell him to sit. Take his bowl, hold it up, and pretend to take food from it. (or you could leave it sit on the counter) Have some crackers or something you like (that's small and easy to hide) hidden behind the bowl on the counter, or tucked in your hand. From his perspetive, you'll appear to be eating from his bowl. The pack leader ALWAYS eats first. He'll get upset, and try to beg for his food. Keep him in a sit and continue to eat for a few more bites. I'd do it for about 1-2 minutes, long enough that he gets the idea YOU'RE eating first, not him. Keep doing this for a few weeks, or longer if he needs it.

Tenderfoot may have good ideas as well. You may want to PM her.

ksjduffle
April 28th, 2005, 01:04 PM
We have not started obedience classes yet because the couple of places i have checked with they say he has to be 6 months old to start there are not many places that do training in our area so Im trying to be patient and wait. I really hope to get him to the point that we will have a life long wonderful family pet. I do try to socialize him alot he goes with us alot to different places. They do have a daschund play group here but they say he also has to be 6 months old before we can go there too. Sit is about the only command that he has learned so maybe there is hope. :confused:

levimh
April 28th, 2005, 01:16 PM
As long as he knows sit that's good enough for now. But like I said earlier and Trinitie said, just tell him to sit before giving him food...let him know he has to work for it and that the food comes from you (and family). :D

BTW, he's really cute.

BMDLuver
April 28th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I would suggest you start him on NILF right away. http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/alpha.htm

Trinitie
April 28th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Good advice BMD!

BMDLuver
April 28th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Good advice BMD!
I have moments of lucidity but they are rare. :eek:

tenderfoot
April 28th, 2005, 03:44 PM
You have your hands full with 3 kids (2 human) and I know the children’s needs have to come first but if you let this little guy slide in his manners you are going to have major trouble on your hands.
He has no respect for you as his parent at all and even less for the kids. The food issue has been well covered by earlier posts but you need to understand how important it is for him to understand that you are sharing YOUR food with him out of the goodness of your heart, not because all food belongs to him. Do not think that keeping him well fed means he shouldn't become food aggressive - as you can see it has caused him to be food aggressive. Plus that Doxies get fat very quickly, and it is in his best interest for him to be lean and hungry.
Is this little man neutered? Because now that he has established that he owns the food he is now trying to prove he owns the house by marking it. You might have also become slack (as is human nature) to think he was done being house trained. Just like little kids they can be good for a while but then regress. With some dogs you need to keep up with your end of the training for quite some time - some small dogs require your diligence for life.
I am amazed that any group would restrict a dog from entering their program until they are 6 mo. old - that is so archaic. The first 6 months are the most important time to train a dog! after that you have lost precious time. We start a puppy the very second they come home and within a week they have a huge vocabulary that you spend your time reinforcing as they mature.
Good dogs are rarely born - they are taught to be good. So this is up to your family to raise this dog well, and then you will be thrilled with the results.
Get some well recommended books/videos on raising great dogs. Check out our reading page on our web site for ideas. Start working on this today and you should see a difference quickly.
The first thing I would do is put this pup on a leash in the house attached to you as much as you can stand it. You become the leader and he is the follower. This helps you monitor his house training progress and keeps you awake to the fact that your 3rd child needs your time and teaching too.

SnowDancer
April 28th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I agree with picking up and controlling Luke's food - although I still find it totally strange that he would be so picky about food - not a typical Dachshund trait. Also, I also find it very strange that he cannot begin training classes until he is 6 months old. I have seen mini Dachshunds being registered for training in Toronto as soon as they have had second shots - but also in a class with dogs who are not too big so as to inadvertently hurt such a small, developing dog. No question, mini Dachshunds are definitely not easy to train - if you watch a class in process you will see that the Dachshunds will try and control the other dogs - and will in fact often "perform" only if properly - in his mind - rewarded. The Dachshund temperament ranges from super alpha to meek. My 2 main guys were very benevolent alphas and the rest were for the most part followers - but still stubborn. They also have a built-in tolerance for they consider suitable punishment - comes from the prey instinct. But mini Dachshunds are not for everybody which is why so many are given up - it is not always as a result of disc disease - it is that the dogs are really Big dogs in small bodies. I really hope it works out for you with Luke. Do you know anything about the litter he came from? Maybe ask your vet for some referrals. He/she will not be at all surprised that Luke is showing these symptoms - well, except for perhaps being overly fussy about food. Mine were gourmets by preference, but gourmands when it came down to it - with stomachs of iron. I am able to deal with my American Eskimo due to my Dachshund "training".

glasslass
April 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Here, a puppy needs to be 6mos also before starting obedience training. But as soon as they have their vaccinations completed, they can join a puppy socialization class which is really good for them.

ksjduffle
May 15th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Well we took Luke back to the ppl that we bought him from :( Its better this way tho he attacked my one year old daughter and hurt her pretty bad not bad enough for stitches but that was the last straw in my book you all might think that I am wrong for sending him back but my babies are more important to me than he was. It was not our day today my truck broke down yesterday and had to special order the parts so my FIL let me use his car so I was taking Luke back this morning before going to set everything up for my MIL suprise bday party and was in a really bad wreck a man pulled out in front of us and thank god that when we started to spin we hit him again with the back of the car or we would have spun completely around and wrapped it around a telephone pole. So needless to say so much for the suprise party.... we were late. I tried everything that you guys had said and I know it takes time with training like I said I have been around dog training all my life but nothing I tried even started to make a difference in him. I miss him already but I know that it was for the best before he hurt someone even worse. Sounds dumb with him being so little but I have never seen such a little dog with such a huge attitude! He even got to where he would bite me when put in the crate at night and continued to show more and more signs of aggression. I know you all probably think I took the easy way out but thats your opinion but like I said my 2 daughters are more important to me. Hope everyone had else had a wonderful weekend someone needed to I didnt! :(

tenderfoot
May 15th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Take a deep breath. It took courage to tell us what happened - knowing that some people might object. You did your best and had to choose. Your kids have to come first. Hopefully he will find a home with just adults that can give him the training he needs.
Please do not go out and get another dog right away. Take your time. This may not be the best time to have a dog when you are so busy chasing after little people. If you do break down and try it again - please only consider an older dog who has lots of experience with kids and has proven himself to be trustworthy. One that is just grateful to have a new family but doesn't require so much basic training from you. You still need to create your leadership role, but some dogs are just way more agreeable then others and that's where you need to start.
I am so sorry you had such a bad weekend. :sad: I usually tell myself that a very bad day just means that I have earned a very good one, and then I look forward to it. :p

ksjduffle
May 15th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Tenderfoot ....Thank you for understanding I know to some ppl on here what I did is totally unacceptable but my kids have to come first and we are not going to get another dog right now Im heartbroken that I had to let Luke go but I felt I really didnt have a choice after he attacked Kaleigh like he did just out of the blue I was right there in the kitchen with them and he was in his bed and she walked across the room and for no reason at all he was after her and had her down before I even had a chance to get to him or her :sad:
I love dogs and put alot of hard work in the training that I do with our pets and I have never been without a pet and right now there is just a big void with no furbabies. Also its hard because we are still after almost 21/2 years mourning the loss of our Rottie Yogi he was a true blessing in our life and my daughters best friend Im not so sure we will ever get over the loss of him. Anyway thanks for the encouragement and kindness I just dont want ppl to think I am a dead beat dog owner because there are so many of them out there and Im not one of them but I also feel like I failed both Luke and my family.

LavenderRott
May 15th, 2005, 09:06 PM
I think you will find that, under the circumstances, many people here will think that your decision to return the pup to the breeder was the best thing to do. In a perfect world, you might have been able to get past the issues with time and training, but like the commercial says, we don't live in perfect. Once a dog bites a child, regardless of the reason, it is very hard to trust the dog again. Better the dog get a fresh start, maybe in a home with no children or older children.

laughingwaters
May 15th, 2005, 09:56 PM
I am so sorry, ksjduffle. I hope your daughter will recover from the fright in no time. We don't have kids but our recently adopted Papillon mix has an alpha streak. He's an adult but needs obedience classes a.s.a.p.

If going forward you do have another dog, the feed-first & quick trick works. Our other dog used to pick at her food until the week her dish stayed on the ground for 10 mins. tops. From then on, she wolfed it down and knew we were the ones with the food - not the dish.

I hope your week improves.
L

Prin
May 15th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Too bad it didn't work out. If you ever do decide to get a dog, get one that is easier to train... Dachs can be a handful and you already have a handful to deal with.. :)
:grouphug:

SnowDancer
May 16th, 2005, 11:32 AM
I am sorry it didn't work out for you with Luke. Actually I have been watching for you to post this news. You most likely think that I would been one who would be critical of your decision. I am not. Mini Alpha Dachshunds are defininitely not for everyone - and particularly not for people with young children. Actually I would not suggest even a mini with a more docile temperament for a family with young children. I hope your breeder finds a suitable home - and that does not necessarily mean one without children. Alpha Dachshunds are not for everyone. Too many people think they are lap dogs which as you know they are not. My too super Alphas were Alpha with everyone but me - love fest from the beginning - and the same with any Dachshund I meet on the street. My Eskimo worries as he senses the bond. Had you lived in Toronto, I probably would have asked to meet Luke despite my resolve to never go through the pain and heartbreak of Dachshund disc disease again. I recall that your parents had an Eskimo that was shall we say aggressive so I know you will be aware they are not the best pets around children. My Eskimo turned out to be a sweetheart, thank heavens. But to me Dachshunds are the loves of my life, just as Rottis are yours. I am glad that you survived your car accident - very bad day for you all round.

SnowDancer
May 16th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Another thought. If you didn't mention to the breeder that Luke is not as enthusiastic about food as is normal with a Dachshund, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to give him/her a call, just in case there is a problem. I have given same advice to Dahlia regarding Sophie the Beagle and her lack of appetite. I did ask a couple of Dachshund owners their feelings on Luke and his fussiness over food and all agreed it warranted investigation. Gourmets for sure, but food is food.

ksjduffle
May 18th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Snowdancer.....I had been in contact with the breeder while I still had Luke about his not wanting to eat so they know but he did enjoy that Chicken Soup for the Puppy soul by Diamond so I stuck with that while I had him he ate it very well as compared to eating nothing. Thanks for the understanding. It just makes me feel as tho I failed all of us. I have just never had a dog I couldnt train.