Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog attacked owner

huggybear
April 28th, 2005, 11:14 AM
My sister in law has a bassit hound.Not sure how old he is but close to a year.
The first time he attacked her she was moving his food dish...this is not acceptable in my eyes but understandable at first.The second time ,which was very bad! She was hooking up his leash for a walk...he didn't want to go so she bent over to unhook him and he attacked her again! He drew blood,bruised her up pretty good.She took him to the vets to see about putting him down...I know.... Well the vet put him under to check his leg problem (xrays) and mentioned fixing him while he was under...instead of putting him down.
My sister is crazy about animals....she treats them like her children...lol.No , I mean if she could she'd dress him up and everything.Anyway , after the dog was fixed , the vet said the dog was a ticking time bomb and maybe should have been put down....example , they couldnt get his leash back on him..he attacked again.So , here is my sister in law...who has no consept of training her dog.Even after schooling.She figures that if the dog wants something..it gets it..and if he doesnt wanna do something he doesnt have to.I told her to be stern with him.
Show him your the alpha dog and you won't take no for an answer.
I feel bad for her.Theres no telling her how to raise this dog right.
I love my dog...dont get me wrong.People say we are hard with her but I dont agree.They dont see when we are home alone .We let her on the couch, we brush and pamper her.But when it comes to sitting and staying when people are around....she does what she's told or gets scolded.
I think I've done a very good job with her.I can take food away at anytime...raw or treats...and she has only once growled when she was a pup at me.
Anyway...to make a long story short...any advice on this behaviour and how she could treat it?Any training advice would be great.
She has a 9 year old daughter....imagine what this dog could do to her with out some sort of aggresive behavoiur modification.
Thanks

twinmommy
April 28th, 2005, 11:28 AM
hmmmm, the alpha issues should be addressed. I have gotten great advice here, and tons of support. I would have told you of my success a couple a months ago in working with aggression, pm Tenderfoot, and LR for the link on "alpha boot camp".

Unfortunately, this road is a tough one. I am learning that sometimes you cannot "fix" every and all dog behavioural probs.

Start by ruling out something medical, work with them if you can, but with children around, the decision has to be for their safety--as I am learning.

heidiho
April 28th, 2005, 11:30 AM
You better start on it NOW,i had issues with my dog and they only got worse...................

Trinitie
April 28th, 2005, 11:34 AM
You must put your foot down with your sister. She has to train that dog properly before he does worse damage on his next attack.

If the vet thought there was something wrong with him, and it wasn't fixable, he would have most likely put the down TS. Since the vet is wanting to give him another chance, that leads me to believe the dog can be helped to see the light. She must become the top dog in his eyes, which she is not.

Perhaps Tenderfoot has some advice to give.

levimh
April 28th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Sounds like he needs to be shown who's the 'leader of the pack'. Maybe she should talk to a professional dog psychologist or trainer and see if something can be done training wise.

He also sounds a little insecure...just throwing out ideas. :)

Lucky Rescue
April 28th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Your sister has done everything wrong with this dog, who is barely more than a puppy, and now he may have to pay for it with his life.

Theres no telling her how to raise this dog right.

If she is not willing to do what is necessary, I don't see any solution.:( She can't even adopt him out, because at this point (thanks to her) he is dangerous.

She needs to understand that love does NOT mean letting an animal or a child do exactly as they please. The results are often like this.
Does she allow her child to hit or kick people if they displease her?

Even if you train him, it won't help cause EVERYONE who deals with him must use the same methods.

badger
April 28th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Somehow, the words bassett and aggressive do not fit together in my mind. Could it really be simply a result of lack of training? He sounds a little nuts.

tenderfoot
April 28th, 2005, 02:22 PM
LR is right - but if you have a chance of getting through to your SIL I sure would try. I have seen so many dogs turned around by just correcting the relationship. It does not have to be done harshly or violently - so I can't see how your SIL could object. If she is raising her daughter with the same lack of parenting then she is in for a heck of a time when this girl hits her teens. Better your SIL learn to start drawing boundaries now with the dog and then she will be better able to deal with her own child later. This is a great opportunity for learning on all levels.

Any advice I would offer would be on an emotional and personal level first - your SIL needs to be committed to making changes and if the current level of aggression shown by this dog is not enough for her to see that then I am not sure what you can do.

If this were someone who had called us for help I would insist on re-training the people and dog - TODAY!, but if I heard any hestitation on your SIL's part I would encourage her to take the dog to Bassett rescue and be done with it before someone else got hurt. If she is not able to parent this dog then she needs to admit it now. How tragic is it that the dog will pay with its life and a person will be injured because your sister refused to say 'no' to the dogs bad behavior.

I am beside myself with frustration. :( I am sorry to vent on the one person who is trying to fix this tragedy - but I think I am getting fed up with 'well intentioned' people who replaced the holes in their lives by babying their animals until the animal ends up paying with its life. I think I just dove head first off the professional "distancing of oneself "to full blown emotional investment. :o Forgive me. I will try to contain myself in the future.

Huggybear, I applaud you for your efforts. I think that a family intervention on the behalf of the little girl and the dog are needed. Everyone needs to come together and confront your SIL in a loving and supportive manner, but make your boundaries very clear aswell.

SnowDancer
April 28th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Like badger, I am having difficulty imagining an aggressive Bassett - unless of course there is a neurological problem. When you first mentioned the aggression I immediately thought of early onset severe arthritis - if the pup was in serious pain he would snap. No doubt this is why the vet X-rayed his legs. You mentioned that the vet has since changed opinion and that dog should perhaps have been put to sleep - what was the reason - I am assuming not training related. Certainly many Bassetts are Hoovers, chewers etc.

Lucky Rescue
April 28th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Somehow, the words bassett and aggressive do not fit together in my mind. Could it really be simply a result of lack of training?

The Bassett hound (last I heard) is the number 1 breed to be dumped after aquisition.

People think they are the cuddly, almost cartoon-like figures shown on TV commericals and then they find they have a hound who barks and bays and can be very stubborn and hard to train. Most of all, they are dogs and any dog can bite, especially one who has been raised to rule the roost and is trying to keep his "subjects" in line. Dogs live in hierarchies, and someone MUST take charge. The problem is most dogs are not suited to be leaders(truly dominant dogs are rare), so when a dog like this is forced to take charge it makes him nervous and unsure and aggression results.

Aggression is not natural for this breed, but any dog can be ruined by improper handling as in this case.

Since this dog is only 1 year old, I really feel he could be rehabilited but as long as he remains in this home, his chances will dwindle.

Prin
April 28th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I have a HUGE problem with people who treat their dogs like children. Even the smallest dog can KILL a child. Dogs are serious animals and need to be trained properly so they will be safe to be around. Dogs need discipline, they need leadership. If your sister in law is not willing to be more strict and LEARN about dogs and how they "work", she should not have this dog and not consider getting any other dog. Dogs become dangers to society in the hands of people like this.. Too bad. :(

savannah
April 29th, 2005, 10:28 AM
I am not an expert, but i have dealt with food aggression problems with my dog. The solution i found to food aggression was feeding her by hand. I did that for a few months (can't remember how many as it was a long time ago) and now she lets anyone put their hands in her plate, I am not even scared when my toddler does it. She used to draw blood whenever we would get close to her bowl (years ago). Also, we were told to teach her the leave it and drop it command, to help with her aggression to things she found palatable as a puppy (ie geese poop, pine cones etc.).

Lucky Rescue
April 29th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I have a HUGE problem with people who treat their dogs like children. Even the smallest dog can KILL a child. Dogs are serious animals and need to be trained properly so they will be safe to be around.

Agree completely! Dogs are not kids, or Care Bears, or Disney characters. I love my dog, but she is an animal, a carnivore and a predator. No matter how cute or cuddly, dogs have all their instincts intact and it's very unfair to expect them to behave like little furry babies.

This is not only dangerous for people, but dangerous for dogs who are treated like kids, then are killed for acting like dogs by people who are shocked that their "baby" would kill a cat, another dog, or who would bite.

savannah
April 29th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I find that the smaller dogs get away with more. I know someone who treats her dog as her son, and she even admits it as she was never able to have children. one day, my daughter tried to pet him while i was petting him, and i saw him about to attack my daughter so i put my hand in the way. he ended up attacking my hand, and his owners did not care that i was bleeding, they just said - to the dog - "are you okay" and said to me "don't bleed on my couch" and made it sound like it was my daughters fault that he attacked me.

tenderfoot
April 29th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Savannah - I am so sorry that you and your daughter had to be the unwitting victims of this irresponsible person. It just amazes me that people can be so disconnected to reality. Not that I am perfect, but come on now!
It makes me wonder what would it take for this person to wake up?
Do you get the Bravo channel? I have been watching "Show Dogs - moms & dads" and am blown away by these people. I love my animals to the point where people wonder if I am nuts for having so many (25 total), but they are always impressed with the behavior and good manners of each, whether its a 130 lb Rottie, a 1200 lb horse or a large macaw with the bite pressure of 1000lbs - they are all well mannered and repectful of their humans and each other. Why? because we treat them like the animals they are - not like our kids.
As we say it is always about the people - not the animals, change the people and the animals will change too.

Lucky Rescue
April 29th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I have been watching "Show Dogs - moms & dads" and am blown away by these people.

Can you believe some of these people??? I feel sorry for the dogs.

tenderfoot
April 29th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Most of the dogs are treated very well, but I feel the most sorry for any human who tries to be involved with these people - there is no getting through! The partners with the toys dogs are outrageous. They have no clue how obnoxious those dogs are because they have spoiled them so much. I am just very grateful that most of these people don't have kids.
I am being soooooo judgemental, but I wonder what caused these people to be so self-absorbed and needy. I am terrible - I hope when I am on national television people are not so hard on me!