Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

housebreaking setback

Eleni
April 28th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Sam went 2 or so weeks with no accidents in the house at all

now all of a sudden hes had 3 accidents in the past 3 days, nice solid poops

not sure why all of a sudden hes having a setback.

I think the last one was my fault, i think he had tried to tell me he had to go and I missed the cue.

is it normal for a dog to have a setback occasionally after the first part of housebreaking is done?

or do i need to go back to square one and not allow him as much freedom as he had?

Eleni

Beetlecat
April 28th, 2005, 10:21 AM
It's apparently fairly common for a pup to have setbacks like this. Mine did. I assume it's because we're all heady about all the successes he's had and give the pup too much freedom (and/or not enough supervision) that he/she cannot handle yet.

When he makes a mess, just go backwards a step or two, and raise supervision, until he stops pottying in the house. Then start forwards, giving more freedoms again. If he makes another mistake, he's been given too many freedoms and you have to go back a few steps again.

Beaglemom
April 28th, 2005, 10:29 AM
It is perfectly normal for a puppy to have accidents in the house. It can take a while before a puppy is fully housetrained and can be trusted in the house unsupervised.

Some dogs take longer than others. Some are just a bit more stubborn.

I would definitely keep supervising him.

tenderfoot
April 28th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Good advice BeetleCat.
Remember, now that this pup has had a few mistakes he has actually been rewarded for them on a physical level. He was uncomfortable and had to potty, he might have given you a signal that you missed, so he was forced to go in the house. The second he relieved himself, he felt better (reward) and no one caught him and corrected him so now he thinks its okay to go in the house. He has recieved mixed signals and is willing to test the boundaries because it's worth it.
So you need to do just as Beetlecat said and go back afew steps in your training and retrain. Good luck.

nymph
May 2nd, 2005, 01:03 PM
elani: It's completely normal for a puppy to regress in housetraining, but the problem is not with the puppy but puppy owners. My Diego was learning housetraining so well and I too made the mistake of giving him too much freedom too soon, so he dutifully surprised us a few times. After that we stepped back, not completely to square one, but raised our supervision level as if he was still 8 weeks old. After all he is still a puppy.

He hasn't had an accident in about 3 weeks now, **knock on wood**. I was fairly frustrated for a while but not at Diego but myself. :p