Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crazy Nieghbor

wjranch
April 27th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Has anyone had trouble with a nieghbor who steals your garbage cans??

This guy is really ticking me off!! 3 weeks in a row and he takes my blue garbage can EVERY wednesday! What the heck is he thinking??? I've had a blue and brown can since I moved in here! Which was months before he did. Every week, he takes my blue one into his yard after they're emptied. :mad: I am getting sick of 'stealing' it back from him. And feel I shouldn't have to. Nor should my kids be bringing it back either (my son usually brings the cans back in after school) I am planning on putting my house number on the cans to try to stop this.... I KNOW he knows it's not his, he puts his garbage out in bags!

Sorry for the rant, just frustrated on garbage day is all :o

raingirl
April 27th, 2005, 10:16 AM
I was going to say if you don't have your street number on it already, do that. But you already thought of it.

If you have dark cans, use a bright colour, like fluorescent Orange spray paint. You can go to a craft store and buy number stencils, and spray into them all around the can, that way he can't miss it.

Trinitie
April 27th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Painting your number on it is the most effective way of curbing the "borrowing" that happens between neighbors. It should work.

Now, why he thinks they're his is beyond me. I think you nailed it on the head when you called him "crazy". :p

twinmommy
April 27th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Just to teach him a lesson, since you're painting your address on it anyways, why not give the handles a nice fresh coat??? ;)

Talk about being caught "red-handed"....or black or blue, or brown... :D :evil:

Trinitie
April 27th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Oooooo. Nasty. :evil:

happycats
April 27th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Have you ever talked to your neighbor ?? Maybe there is a reason for it, maybe dementia, or maybe he is just really lonely, and wants you to come over and talk to him (when you retrieve your garbage can) or maybe he needs to tell you something, and keeps missing you, so knows he will see you if he takes your garbage cans.
I would go over and nicely ask him why he takes your gargbage cans, there may be a good reason (in his mind) .
IMO I just feel you should try to talk to this person before going to battle, you do have to live next door.(for god knows how long ;) )

lilith_rizel
April 27th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Our neighbors did that all the time. We just moved into a new house, and had to take our garbage can out of their yard. Being that no one lived in our house for a while, before we moved in, they thought that they had the liberty to take our can. Even a month after we moved in, they would still move our can in their yard and use it. They were big cans too! The people taking it only had 2 people in the house, so why did they need 2 cans. We had a baby and we only fill ours half full each week. Now we keep our can in our garage, and I bring it out when I see the garbage man coming, and bring it back in as soon as he dumps it........

What really got me mad is that our house number was painted on the top and side of the can, and they still thought it was theirs......

Rainy
April 27th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Do your neighbours have any kids? Last summer I had to buy my son a big blue garbage can because every garbage day he would collect at least four or five and put them all on our lawn!My son we suspect has high functioning autism or something on the spectrum,we are still waiting for his diagnoses.
I watch my boys closely and yet he would still manage to snag at least one! He would wait untill my other son needed a band aid or i'm running in the house for a toy,juice,etc,etc, I tried to guess who they belonged too but i'm sure I was wrong sometimes LOL. :confused:

Trinitie
April 27th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Hmmm. Interesting thought Rainy. I never would have suspected Autism could be related to a particular item/color.

Prin
April 27th, 2005, 01:27 PM
My neighbor steals my recycling box. It's got my address written in HUGE black marker... He takes it home gradually. First to the bottom of his stairs, then on the lawn, then on the porch and if I don't take it back before the porch, I have to wait a week... Why go through so much trouble? You can get them FREE from the city... :rolleyes:

Eleni
April 27th, 2005, 01:56 PM
As far as I know autistic kids can get hooked on certain items.

I know my son who is going thru the process og getting diagnosed with autisim is hooked on lightswitches.

and i mean hooked he can play with them turning them off and on for 1 sometimes 2 hours at a shot.

amongst other eccentricities.

Eleni

Schwinn
April 27th, 2005, 02:47 PM
That's weird. I'd wait for my pail to re-appear, then take back my container, minus the contents, of course.

I had an uncle who had issues with people using his garbage bin. He one day went through it and found a lot of garbage with the same address on the mail in it. It cost him money everytime he had to get his bin emptied, so he took it to the address and emptied it on the front lawn. The big kicker? It was one of those big steel garbage bins that transports come and pick up.

And people think I have issues...

kandy
April 27th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Our city bought these nifty trucks that pick up the can by themselves (probably so they could fire all the actual garbage men) so now no one can have a normal garbage can, unless you plan on taking it to the dump yourself. Each block gets a couple of these huge things in the alley and we are all expected to use them. Some neighborhoods still get one can per household, but they are special cans too.

As far as weird neighbors: The guy next door to us is really, really old and I think that he has dementia or alzheimer's or something. He calls the cops on us a few times a year and tells them that we are fighting in our front yard or having some huge party or something. We live right behind our local police station, so all they have to do is look out the window to see what's going on. He just doesn't like us because we don't spend 22 hours a day on our lawn. He stands in front of my house and scowls at my weeds. He also thinks that he has to know exactly what's going on in our backyard. I've caught him peeking between tree branches to watch us while we are BBQ'ing or playing with the dogs, etc. I keep telling my husband that I am going to flash him one of these times and then maybe he'll quit spying. My husband says I can't cause he might have a heart attack! Would that be a bad thing?? :evil:

melanie
April 27th, 2005, 05:59 PM
its rare to get neighbors that arent freaks, im sure there is some statistical data out there and a nice little formula to prove the likelyhood of getting freaks for neighbors is naturally high. :sad: :crazy:

if i were you, i would wait till the neighbor comes out to collect the bins, get out there is your oldest grottiest robe, muss your hair, and start screaming about garbage bins and curses, mention you need to mix up your potion tonight and scream that a green bin is the only one to be used for such activity. moan alot, growl too, oh and it would not hurt to throw meat at nothing whilst doing it. it will scare the living crap oout of the neighbor, they will think yoru crazy, and i bet no one will ever go near your bin again. oh and not to mention it will be very amusing. :thumbs up

wjranch
April 27th, 2005, 06:07 PM
its rare to get neighbors that arent freaks, im sure there is some statistical data out there and a nice little formula to prove the likelyhood of getting freaks for neighbors is naturally high. :sad: :crazy:

if i were you, i would wait till the neighbor comes out to collect the bins, get out there is your oldest grottiest robe, muss your hair, and start screaming about garbage bins and curses, mention you need to mix up your potion tonight and scream that a green bin is the only one to be used for such activity. moan alot, growl too, oh and it would not hurt to throw meat at nothing whilst doing it. it will scare the living crap oout of the neighbor, they will think yoru crazy, and i bet no one will ever go near your bin again. oh and not to mention it will be very amusing. :thumbs up

I absolutly LOVE it!! :D

But, on a better note... After I settled down from being so frustrated I did go over and talk to him. It seems it hasn't been him all along (he lives alone, so I assumed it was him) It appears to be his mother! She comes to visit him often and figured because there are 2 cans out there of different color....one MUST be his! LOL He apologized and suggested that maybe his mom is alittle eccentric ;)
Anyway, all is well again. Thanks for all the helpful and hilarious suggestions :thumbs up

happycats
April 27th, 2005, 06:16 PM
I am so happy you decided to talk to your neighbor!! i knew there must be a reason (crazy as it is) :crazy: .
I am glad everything worked out :)

SnowDancer
April 27th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Many people are starting to chain their Green Bins to their verandah railings as they have been "liberated". I have 2 bins - one hidden in the basement for emergency purposes.

pupyluv668
April 27th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Just to teach him a lesson, since you're painting your address on it anyways, why not give the handles a nice fresh coat??? ;)

Talk about being caught "red-handed"....or black or blue, or brown... :D :evil:

i love that fresh coat...lol...might teach him a lesson or two..lol...good one twinmommy!!!! :thumbs up

Schwinn
April 28th, 2005, 08:55 AM
You know, I've been told that everyone has a crazy neighbour, and if yours all seem normal, then guess what?

happycats
April 28th, 2005, 08:57 AM
You know, I've been told that everyone has a crazy neighbour, and if yours all seem normal, then guess what?

LOL....... :D . I know I have a crazy neighbour.....http://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/1.gif