Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Declawing and more!...

Vas
April 27th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I've read some articles about a great need for an animal protection law here in Quebec. I think there should be done something to punish people who abuse their pets and puppy mill owners who keep their animals in horrible conditions.Thanks god for rescue workers, but the core problem isn't solved.

In some countries declawing is against the law! But here, lots of people choose this procedure because in our society they get a horrible message via veterinarians and even some SPCA (like the SPCA de Montreal clinic) that declawing is a normal thing to do!
Hmmm...SPCA de Montreal : "Devoted to preventing cruelty to, and furthering the well treatment of animals everywhere", but just ask and they will chop off your kitten's claws, 10$ a claw... :(

And hey, I've seen a veterinarian clinic/shelter in Montreal where cats are living in cages, not neutered nor spayed with an adoption fee of 150$! To say the truth it ressembled a "pet shop"...

And my last word to all newcomers: if you're searching for a cat or a dog in this forum and you feel you're questionned and investigated too much, that's the reason why it's the right place to adopt a pet from! These people are taking care for their animals. Anybody who'll sell a pet without questionning you, is a backyard breeder or a person who's not serious and doesn't care about animals.

Good luck!

Blaze01
April 27th, 2005, 11:09 AM
When i took Blaze to get fixed they kept telling me about declawing and how wonderful and painless it was...finally after being asked twenty times if i was sure i didnt want it done i put Blaze back in his carrier and left. I thought vets would be more concerned with my cats welfare than a $50 declawing but that proved to be false. I found a wonderful vet who would not do declawing in his office and told me the true horrors of it...

Lissa
April 27th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Unfortunatley, my Minnow was declawed. I never realized the trauma it involved, I rescued my previous cats and they had already been declawed. I'm a student and still live at home and it was assumed that Minnow's claws would be removed to save the furniture. I realize how horrible that is now.
Today I regret it and feel completely guilty about what I did. I think vet's need to speak truthfully about such issues, even if it stops them from making money. None of my vets have ever said a bad word about declawing and until recently I never realized how horrible it truly is.
I will never subject a cat to that inhumane process again and I only wish that I could change what I did to Minnow. :( It was my fault because I didn't research beforehand, I just assumed that my family and my vet knew what was best. :sad:

Melissa

Lucky Rescue
April 27th, 2005, 02:29 PM
In some countries declawing is against the law!
I believe it's illegal in ALL the countries of Europe.

if you're searching for a cat or a dog in this forum and you feel you're questionned and investigated too much, that's the reason why it's the right place to adopt a pet from! These people are taking care for their animals. Anybody who'll sell a pet without questionning you, is a backyard breeder or a person who's not serious and doesn't care about animals.

Thank you! :thumbs up

Rita
April 27th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I think a big issue with declawing is that people are uneducated about the whole process. Our previous cat (RIP) was 5yo and declawed when we adopted her. When we adopted our Boyz we had planned on getting them declawed; the folks at Kingston HS talked to us about it going into a bit of detail about the whole process and asked us to try training the Boyz first and to really research it before we made a decision. If it wasn't for their resistance we probably would have had it done without really looking into it, but because of them we did some research and training and in the end decided not to get the Boyz declawed :thumbs up
We have leather sofas in the house but the Boyz have never used them as scratching posts ..... they run like made fools across them and scratch the heck out of them that way, but that's o.k. .... the furniture is replaceable, the unconditional love we get from the Boyz is priceless :love: