Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Selective Reporting

Dukieboy
April 27th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Today the Sun chose to report on a pitbull attack that happened on the weekend and for some reason didn't think the murder of two innocent pitbull puppies was newsworthy.

http://torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2005/04/27/1015035-sun.html

Schwinn
April 27th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Small consolation that the pit wasn't blamed, just the owner. It's too bad, I thought maybe the Sun was the one paper that was on our side.

Man, this is just adding to my miserable demeanor. I think I'll take up drinking again. I was good at it...

bluntman
April 27th, 2005, 11:34 AM
There was a small blurb, in our local paper tuesday about a 6 year old girl who needed surgery after being bitten in the face several times by a german shepherd, I did not see any mention of it in the big 3 papers, I guess a bichon, getting bit is more newsworthy than that poor six year old. I really think there are going to be many more children hurt by dogs, as a result of the false sence of security people and parents have thinking all the bad dogies are banned. Thanks again Bryant!!! :evil:

Faceless
April 27th, 2005, 12:38 PM
The media has already started in on the next targeted breed - Rottweilers:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Ottawa/Susan_Sherring/2005/04/27/1014636.html

Wed, April 27, 2005

City bylaw all bark, no bite

By SUSAN SHERRING -- For the Ottawa Sun

When Jean-Guy Prud'homme's 12-year-old daughter Jesse was bitten by a Rottweiler in a neighbourhood park, the east-end man was filled with rage at the thought of his child being hurt.
That was more than two weeks ago.

Today, Prud'homme's anger has barely subsided.

Over the past 15 days, Prud'homme says he's hit countless roadblocks in his quest to get justice for his daughter and in his attempts to ensure no other child is harmed in a similar fashion.

The dog owner not only lives close to the park, but the home also backs onto a school in the Pineview area near Blair and Innes roads.

For Prud'homme, one dog bite was one too many and he wants to do everything he can to make sure it never happens again.

The story began on April 11 when daughter Jesse was walking with a friend along a pathway in Stonehenge Park and was attacked by the dog.

As it turns out, it could have been much worse. Jesse ended up with two fang puncture marks on her face, and her nose was badly bloodied.

Initially, the family was told it couldn't immediately be determined whether the dog had its rabies vaccination. Instead, the dog would be quarantined at its home for 10 days, with the owner observing the dog's behaviour -- not anywhere near the comfort level the family sought.

City staff were later able to determine the dog had the proper vaccination.

Prud'homme continued his own investigation, finding out from neighbours that the dog had bitten at least once before.

Initially, staff said they knew nothing about this, but the allegation has since been confirmed.

Following the 2003 biting incident, the owner was ordered to have a muzzle on the dog when it wasn't on its own property.

The most recent incident apparently occurred after the Rottweiler broke free of its chain and left the yard.

Prud'homme says the second attack should never have occurred, and he won't rest until the dog has been put down.

He says the only person who has taken up his cause is Innes Coun. Rainer Bloess, whose ward includes Prud'homme but not the Rottweiler.

"He's restored my faith in politicians, he really has," Prud'homme said yesterday.

Bloess appears almost as frustrated as Prud'homme.

He's taken the unusual step of filing an access to information request with the city about the dog.

How absurd is that?

Who really is in charge here? Why should our elected officials be forced to spend public money accessing information from city staff?

Bloess says he's concerned with the length of time it took for the city to issue the muzzle order and that staff initially didn't even seem to know the dog had a previous biting incident.

Prud'homme went by the owner's home yesterday and says the dog didn't have its muzzle on. Susan Jones, director of bylaw services, insists the city is taking the situation seriously, but is limited in its powers by provincial legislation.

There is only so much it can do, she said, pointing out the city can't simply walk into court and have a judge order the dog to be put down.

In response to Prud'homme's concerns, Jones said a bylaw officer did pay the dog a visit yesterday and the owners were charged with failing to abide by the new muzzle order.

Following the April 11 incident, the owners were charged with failing to keep the dog on its property and failing to ensure the dog was muzzled when not on their property.

Prud'homme says with all the talk about the health department being concerned about losing its crack pipe distribution while dangerous dogs are allowed to be repeat biters, he wonders if the city has its priorities confused.

The dog owner could not be reached for comment yesterday

Faceless
April 27th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Ok, it sucks that the girl was bit, but the father won't rest until the dog is killed? Sounds a little vindictive to me. Plus, he went by the owner's home and the dog wasn't muzzled? Muzzle orders only apply when the dog is off the owner's property, as the article indicates later on.

While this owner is obviously irresponsible (chaining the dog? Only provokes aggression unless it's a very long chain) in letting his dog get out, this type of story only encourages hatred, especially towards specific breeds.

Regarding the SUN, they are against the ban, but most likely only because the Liberals are for it; just like the opposition parties are only against it for the exact same reason. I agree with those who believe that if/when the PCs or NDP get in provincially, they won't repeal Bill 132.

Dukieboy
April 27th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Check out what the Toronto Fire Dept. has to say about Rotties and Pitties I found this on thier site under Dog Bite Prevention:

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/fire/prevention/dog_bite_prevention.htm

Safety and fire prevention - Dog bite prevention

under...

Quick facts

A The Dutch survey found that for Rottweilers and Bull Terriers, the chances of biting are seven and six times higher respectively than for other pedigree breeds.

A Dutch survey??? Come on....

Schwinn
April 27th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Actually, bull Terriers are a different breed than pitbulls. Don Cherry's old dog, Blue, was a Bull Terrier.

At least, that's what I've always been told.

Dukieboy
April 27th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I think they are clumping them all in together by saying "bull terrier" for example Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier... I wonder if Boston Bull Terriers are to be included in that. Anyway, my point is that they are calling it a fact and only including one survey and that survey was a D U T C H survey. My goodness, I wonder how long it took them to scare up a survey to fit thier opinion.

Faceless
April 27th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Here's the link that was referenced earlier, re: the Dutch Survey:

Dukieboy
April 27th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Here's the link that was referenced earlier, re: the Dutch Survey:

Thanks for that correction I think the thread will make more sense now. Honest, not a drop LOL

Schwinn
April 27th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I understand what you are saying, and I think it shows also the who "mis-indentificatin" issue. How many bull terriers do you see in a week (or month?) I have a feeling someone saw bull terrier and equated it to pitbull. I wonder how hard they had to search to find a study to match thier thoughts?

babyrocky1
April 27th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Its really too bad thaat they did that because the rest of their information seemed to be somewhat helpful! I liked the fact that they had tips for kids in dealing with dogs etc. Maybe we should contact them with some better information and see if they are interested in changing it.

twodogsandacat
April 27th, 2005, 07:03 PM
There was a small blurb, in our local paper tuesday about a 6 year old girl who needed surgery after being bitten in the face several times by a german shepherd, I did not see any mention of it in the big 3 papers, I guess a bichon, getting bit is more newsworthy than that poor six year old.

Actually we need to send all stories of dog bites to the DLCC, even the ones that don't seem 'important'. Can you provide a link or a photocopy or scan?

bluntman
April 28th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I could not find the story online, here it is as printed.

Tot has surgery after dog attack:
BELLEVILLE(CP)- A six-year old Toronto girl underwent emergency surgery in Kingston yesterday after she was bitten several times in the face by a dog.
Provincial police were called to a home in Thomasburg, a hamlet about 25 kilometers northeast of Belleville, on Saterday night.
No one witnessed the attack but the German sheperd cross "bit her several times in the face," said Const. Dave MacKinlay.
She was taken by ambulance to Belleville hospital before being transferred to Kingston for additional treatment.
"Apparently she is doing fine," MacKinlay said yesterday.