Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

tips for hot rollers

raingirl
April 26th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I know there are a lot of girls here, and was wondering if anyone has any tips they can give me for hot rollers? Or velcro rollers? I can't get them to work! With the hot rollers, I get bumps in my hair where the roller stops close to my head. And I can't seem to get the velcro rollers to stay in!

this is the hot roller set I have. It has 5 large rollers for big waves. http://www.conair.com/conair/products/detail.jsp?product=77

I have rollers in my hair right now, and Odin I think is afraid of me because he keeps looking at me funny!

Prin
April 26th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I'm waiting for this answer too... lol :cool:

raingirl
April 26th, 2005, 02:54 PM
I should also start another post about make-up. I still have not discovered the secret to foundation....

Prin
April 26th, 2005, 02:57 PM
I have never in my life used foundation. I'm still working on wearing lipstick for more than 5 minutes...

Dukieboy
April 26th, 2005, 03:02 PM
I use the conair hotair brush. The best foundation I have ever used is a powder (but not dry dry) that you can purchase at the bodyshop. It comes in lots of different tones and I apply it with a brush instead of the applicator that comes with it. Works ok for me. Not a big makeup person generally speaking.

happycats
April 26th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I don't know about rolllers (have poker straight hair, ,gave up on curls long ago) BUT................foundation, I have very dry skin so I can't use foundation (dries my skin out even more) But I do use Covergirls tinted moisturizer! seems work good OK with my dry skin. :D

Princesss04
April 26th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Okay are you wanting just wave or curl with those rollers?

As far as foundation, the way your foundation looks all depends upon your moisturizer. I use ONLY Mary kay products. You need a good moisturizer. Wash your face before you apply your makeup than put moisturizer on let it dry than appyl makeup. NEVER use your hand or finger as the oils are not good for your face. Always use a spongage thing. The more moisture you have in your face the more even your makeup will go on and stay on. :D

Princesss04
April 26th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I use Hot Sticks which can give you a tight curl or loose. If you want a tight sleep in them (for hard to curl hair, like mine) if your hair curls good a few hours will do it. If you want a loose curl put them in than take them out. If you sleep in them or wear them for a few hours when you take them out you will have all kind of tight curls all over your head. Take one curl and break it up into a few curls (you can go big or small) than take that little curl and twirl it on your finger to make a perfect curl do that will all the rest of the curls. Make sure when using these rollers that you roll all the hair all the way. Do not leave a little end or it will come out curly than have a stairght piece. Here is a picture of the hot sticks you can get them cheap and they are BETTER than rollers anyday! I love them!

http://www.epinions.com/content_34563460740

Using Heated Rollers and Hot Sticks

Heated rollers and hot sticks need to be used on hair that is perfectly dry. It is also useful to remember that most hair types take heated curls better if the hair has not been washed recently. Hair should go around the roller one-and-a-half times to give lift and volume as well as to stop the roller from falling out. For every turn around the roller after that, you will get more and more curl and a tighter result.

1. Spray the entire head with hairspray.
2. Wait until the red light comes on, indicating that the set is ready (hot enough).
3. Start at the crown and use the right size for your style.
4. Use a fine-tooth comb to divide hair into even sections.
5. Take the first section, comb it smooth and spraying it again before putting the first roller or stick into the hair.
When rolling your hair, there is a basic rule that each section of hair should be narrower than the instrument - this will ensure the correct tension of hair and give you a better curl.
If you are curling short hair, it is a good idea to use a paper between the roller or stick and the hair this will help keep them in place.
6. Roll the hair around the roller or stick and pull the ends until they disappear. This will avoid the 'fish hook' look. Make sure you don't roll them too tight.
7. Work you way down the back and then the sides.
8. Finish with the ones at the front.
The direction of the roller will determine the direction of the hair.
For a spiral look to your curls, twist the section of hair before wrapping it around the roller.
9. Once all of the rollers are set in place, sit still. It is often the movement that allows the rollers or sticks to slip and pull, splitting the hair.
10. As soon as they are cool start removing the rollers or sticks in the same order that you put them in.

* Use the large ones to give body to a straight style.
* Use the medium for a bend or change of direction.
* Use the small one to give curl.

raingirl
April 26th, 2005, 03:55 PM
maybe i will try hotsticks. I just want my hair to have body and volume. I have average normal hair. Not too thin or thick, not wavy but also not straight. In high humidity I can use a defuser and get ringlets, but in the winter my hair is limp.

As for makeup...I have tried so many things. I have combo skin and sensitive/reactive skin and acne. So, I don't use anything with oils or colours or fragrance or anything. I used a think lotion called Aquatain (made to go with the medication Accutaine). It makes my skin feel nice and smooth, and blocks out the stuff I put on after. In the summer I feel fine as I can get by with moisurizer and the physicians formula highlighter poweder, but the winter drains me of colour. I know it's not long till summer, but I feel so pale. i've tried the self tanners, but the one i really liked that worked, they don't make anymore!! The rest made my skin break out!.

How about concealer? I've never tried that. I actually used the....what's that line of acne products..they purple coloured ones. Anyway, they have a cream concealer zit stick. I like it as it covers up my zits and kills them at the same time, and no redness! But unless I used a tinted moisurizer over it, you can see the spots I covered. I tried the covergirl tinted moisturizer, but the light is too light for me, and the medium too dark. Maybe I should mix them together?

I tried the mary kay stuff at a mary kay party and found a foundation I like, but never bought it. Maybe I will consider it.

Princesss04
April 26th, 2005, 04:09 PM
I love Mary Kay but that is just me. I am not a Mary Kay seller just do not want you to think I am selling it. Like I said it is not the foundation as much as the moisturizer. I use the Velocity (Mary Kay product-RAINGIRL (it is for acene and blemish pron skin) ) face wash than a day or night cream depending on the time, than my acene cream, than moisturizer. Than I apply my foundation than powder. Mary kay will tell you they have a good foundation but if you do not apply a good moisturizer than it is the same as a Wal-Mart brand. Mary Kay is more exepinsive but (like a good dog food) it works. Everyone shoudl wash their face two times a day. Once in the morning and once at night, everynight you sleep in your makeup you age 13 days. When you are washing your face or appling moisturizer always wipe up not down. :D http://bestsmileys.com/tongs/2.gif

Prin
April 26th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Ok, call me gross, but I can't wash my face. If I do, I break out. If I don't,my skin is great. My step brother asked me and my brothers what we used to take care of our acne, and we told him we didn't wash our faces, he thought we were nuts and didn't listen. It depends on your skin type I guess. I moisturize, but I don't soap... :o

Princesss04
April 26th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Prin what it you used something for acene and blemish skin. That is how I was. As long as I left my face alone I was fine but the minute I washed it I was so broke out it was gross. Than I tried this Velocity and it did wonders and I can wash my face now. I do not think you are gross that is what I use to do. :D

Prin
April 26th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Why do I have to buy something when nothing works just fine? :)

Princesss04
April 26th, 2005, 05:40 PM
That is true Prin never looked at it that way. LOL :D