Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy gas?

Dahlia
April 26th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Sophie has gas a lot and it smells terrible! :yuck: She's on Nutro Natural Choice puppy food and she doesn't get any table food, other than an occasional Cheerio that the baby might drop from his high chair. Should I try her on another food or is it normal for puppies to have a lot of gas? She doesn't seem like it bothers her, she just toots a lot and stinks up the room, lol.

Prin
April 26th, 2005, 03:31 PM
It might be the food, but most likely it's the doggy. I think you'll be frustrated if you change the food and the gases keep leaking... It could also be related to too much exercise after eating, maybe.

nymph
April 26th, 2005, 04:00 PM
My puppy Diego never had gas problem, and he's on Nutro's natural choice for large breed for a while now. I would give her a different kind of food just to see if she likes it, switch it slowly over 5 days.

Dahlia
April 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM
It might just be her, I don't know. She doesn't usually get much exercise after she eats, she normally just takes a nap. I think maybe I'll try a different food when we use up some more of what we have. Since it doesn't seem to be bothering her I don't see the point in wasting food.

kandy
April 26th, 2005, 05:03 PM
We fed our last newf pup canned food once and she had gas so bad that I thought I was going to suffocate! She had mild gas before that, but that can of food made it 1000% worse. After that she never got canned, she got pouches of morsels & gravy mixed in her dry. I have had dogs who just seemed to have gas alot, no matter what we fed them - so you could just have a gassy dog. I'd make sure I left my windows down while in the car! :eek:

Schwinn
April 26th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Some days Daisy is her own natural resource. You know those plug-in air fresheners that you stick in car vents for when the air passes through? Seriously thinking of that one.

She has bad reactions with some food, but I think some breeds are susceptible to gas. She's part pittie, and other pittie owners I've talked to have the same experience.

kandy
April 26th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Schwinn: I just got a mental picture of a doggy 'vent' freshner! :p Too funny! LMAO

glasslass
April 27th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Maybe I got the same mental image - resembled a squeeky toy!

wjranch
April 27th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Since you mentioned it......... :D

One day my boyfriend decided to have some soup. He "thought" he had opened a can of pea soup with ham, He had indeed NOT!
It was a can of BEAN SOUP!!! And of course, He doesn't like bean soup.
Sooooooo, he thought he'd be nice and split it between the dogs :eek:
His plan was to just not bother telling me about it (because i don't feed them any people food, and would get mad with him)
His Plan "Backfired" (forgive the pun :) ) Big Time!
We had to leave the house it was so bad!
The dogs would 'fluff' then leave the room, only to leave THAT room too!!! They couldn't figure out where the awful smell was coming from!
As funny as it was, It smelled horrible. I can't stress how bad it was :yuck:
So, Yes, i understand that puppy gas is bad....... But, then next time your little fella 'fluff's', just think of BEAN SOUP and you'll feel better ;)

kayla
April 27th, 2005, 12:49 AM
LMFAO wjranch! :D

I have so been there with Kayla! Canned food makes it 1000 times worse with her too. I hear adding a spoonful of plain yogurt to their meal helps. With Kayla I changed her food to Medical and the gas went away, but I just changed it again to Cosco puppy food and it didnt come back so maybe she just grew out of it..

Good luck!

Schwinn
April 27th, 2005, 09:44 AM
As bad as it is when you're watching the TV, all I'm going to say is, toxic puppy in the cab of a pick-up! Suddenly you wish you brought the four door, with the sun roof!