Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Demadectic mange?

Dahlia
April 26th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Anyone heard of this? Sophie went to the vet for her last set of shots yesterday and I mentioned to the vet that her skin doesn't look right when she's out in the light. Her hair looks sparse in spots. She doesn't have any bald spots, but... Anyway they tested her for demadectic mange and she has it. She said it might go away on its own but it seems to be getting worse so I asked them to treat it. So now she has to take a very tiny dose of Ivamec once a day for 4 wks. She has a little bald spot on her forehead from where they scraped her :( .

I guess that could be why she's been smelling bad but I forgot to ask. I figure I'll wait until she's over that and see what happens. I also forgot to ask about the oatmeal shampoo. I think I'll call them now and ask about that.

Lucky Rescue
April 26th, 2005, 02:13 PM
What kind of dog is Sophie and how old is she?

All dogs have demodectic mange mites living in their hair follicles, but the only time they are troublesome is if the dog is a young puppy, or an older dog who has a suppressed immune system for some reason.

If Sophie is a puppy, she may very well outgrow it when her immune system is fully activated at 11 months or a year old.

Many vets prefer not to treat this illness in puppies, as medication can interefere with the immune system and actually make it worse.

Dahlia
April 26th, 2005, 02:25 PM
She's a puppy. I think she probably got it when she had coccidia and was on meds for that for over a month. The vet agreed with me that it looks like it needs to be treated because she is scratching like crazy and it is on her head and going down her back. I don't think she's did it for the money because it was only $3 for the medicine.

Dahlia
April 26th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Oh, forgot to say, she's a beagle. Almost 4 mos old.

goldenblaze
April 26th, 2005, 09:35 PM
OMG, I know all to well about demodex mange. Blaze came with this disease and yes it is a disease it does come from the mother 72 hours after born. Parents should not be bred anylonger if carrying this, their immune system is week . Yes the dog will suffer with the itching. I gave Blaze 2 benadryl daily for months but would not use Ivomac it can be very harmful in some breds..boxers, collies other aswell. Is the demodex localized or generalized? This is also called red mange puppy mange, bathing will make your pup feel better for short time but really won't help long term. Did they find adult mite and if so how many? this disease takes months to cure but please talk to your Vet about giving benadryl it can drive a pup in sane. :sad:

Dahlia
April 27th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks, goldenblaze, I was just going to ask if I could give her benadryl. She only weighs 8.3 lbs, so would I give her the liquid like you give babies and dose it according to weight or is it different for dogs? I thought of the benadryl last night when she kept scratching and scratching. I don't know how many mites they found but they scraped her and looked under a microscope and said that they did find mites. It started just on top of her head but now it's in her eyebrows, and down her back. Her underside is also pink where her skin and hair are white. I know how it is to itch and I'm sure she's miserable.

The vet said that all dogs have the mites to a degree but it only affects them when they are stressed, etc, and she said females sometimes get it when they're about to go into heat. Sophie's about 4 months old so she should have a couple of months left before she goes into heat. I plan on getting her spayed at 5.5 months, hopefully before she can go into heat.

jjgeonerd
April 27th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Gabby had this when she was a puppy. She was also treated with Ivarmectin for a few weeks. In addition I've met a few people whose dogs also had it when they were pups and the treatment was the same. It took a while for the hair to grow back but she's fine now (as were their dogs). Gabby was beginning to scratch sore spots so she had to be treated.

My understanding is it is only a real concern if the dog gets it after about one year old...could be immune system problem then. Otherwise it isn't that big of a deal.

We were given a cream to help with the itching and an anti-bacterial shampoo to use once or twice a month. Gabby hates baths, but she seemed to appreciate the anti-itch cream.

goldenblaze
April 27th, 2005, 01:51 PM
My Vet told me the same thing most dogs have mites but demodex mites are not like the others. Dogs should be fighting off the mites and have no itching or problems but if their immune system is not working or is week the mites become a problem like you have now and I had with Blaze.

My Vet talked about neutering aswell it can help alot but didn't stop always it. BLaze, he was 6mths ( Aug) when neutered and clear of mites at 10 mths, but it can come back at anytime so I watch him very closely. Good Luck and please give the pills for itching..I remember how Blaze was and it's sad to watch.

goldenblaze
April 27th, 2005, 02:02 PM
jjgeonerd
it really depends on if it's localized or generalized to know if it is a big deal or not. My Vet was very honest with me from the start in telling me that if it goes generalized euthanasia is not ruled out as a last resort.

Because of the strong hereditary predispoaition of generalized
demodex, all dogs with this disease should be sterilized. in fact some experts recommend that parents and siblings of affected dogs also be removed from breeding programs to protect future generations from this agony of this disease.

I've spent months learning everything about this disease I spoke with Dr Fisher from Pfizer animal health she helpped me understand this and deal with it best I could.

kayla
April 27th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Hmmm, I think Kayla had this when she was a puppy. She had thinning spots on her head and a couple on her body that you could only really see when standing at a certain angle or in certain light. I took her to the vet about this and he had no clue what it was and looked like she was rubbing her head or something, he never even suggested demodectic mange. I'm realizing more and more how bad my vet is!

I replied to your puppy gas thread too because she also had aweful gas. Now that I think about it her gas and thinning hair cleared up at the same time (around 6-7 months) so maybe they were related.. I never treated either, just switched to an expensive food which i have no idea if that was what helped or not, I'm thinking now she may have just grown out of it.

Good luck!

Dahlia
April 27th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Kayla, thanks, what food did you switch to? It's worth a shot, right?

I called the vet's office about the benadryl and I'm waiting for them to call me back.

Dahlia
April 27th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Oh, I just checked the other post. Medical. I think I might try a different food once we use up some more of what we have. But she's on Nutro which I thought was a pretty good food. I know each dog reacts differently though. Maybe it's not the right one for her.

kayla
April 27th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I actually let Kayla pick her own food. I got a few samples from my vet, then put them in front of her. She chose the most expensive one of course :rolleyes:

Your dog is a lot smaller than mine though so she shouldn't cost as much to feed. I also heard the costco food was good, and much cheaper ($25 compared to $80 for a 18kg bag), so I switched her to it recently and so far so good :)

kayla
April 27th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Oh, just noticed you are from Kentucky, not sure if they even have Medi-cal or Costco there!

Dahlia
April 28th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Do you mean Costco like the store? We don't have one but there is one near my in-laws. Our vet sells Pro plan dog food but I don't know if they sell any other brands or not. I buy her food by the 20 lb bag. The Nutro here is $20 a bag. I looked for wellness but can only find the adult formula. There is also a Pro Pac that seemed pretty good. I might try that one.

kayla
April 28th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Yes I mean Costco the store. I think the brand is Kirkland Signature, although I think they only sell the huge bags..

Does your vet sell food? If so I would ask them for a few samples to try out, they usually have little packets. You can save a scoop of the food you're using now too. Just give her a litte bit of each, then put the piles in front of Sophie and let her choose. I think animals generally know what's best for them so I would trust her choice. Mind you use good foods, some of the cheap ones just coat crap food with good tasting juices to trick the dog.

Good luck!