Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it possible for a dog to be too friendly with other dogs?

Gripenfelter
April 26th, 2005, 11:44 AM
I socialize my pup with other dogs SEVERAL times a week.

When he was 8 weeks old he used to play with a 160 lb Bouvier that used to growl and bark at him.

What's happened now is that, when he meets a dog at the park that growls or barks at him (not in a friendly way), he goes and gives them kisses. Its gotten him in trouble a couple of times. The other dog has bitten him hard enough to make him cry (which is not an easy thing to do). The other dog doesn't want to play with him and tries to get away from him.

He ignores friendlier dogs or gets bored of them in a hurry and seeks out the bullies.

Should I stop him from playing/approaching with meaner dogs?

jjgeonerd
April 26th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I would say keep an eye on him, but otherwise let him learn. Learning friendly from unfriendly dogs is part of the socialization process.

Gabby also seems to seek out the bullies some days...weird.

Prin
April 26th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I agree. Unless the other dog is especially mean, I wouldn't step in. I don't think it has anything to do with him liking to play with growly, angry dogs, I think he is just naive and trying to play with the most dominant dogs around. He'll learn eventually. Better than being overly aggressive, I suppose.. :)

Lucky Rescue
April 26th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Don't allow him to approach adult dogs unless you know they are friendly and wont' bite him.

He is a Malamute, and allowing other dogs to bite him could cause dog aggression as he gets older. This breed already is predisposed towards dog aggression, so make his encounters with other dogs positive.

With the size and power he will have as an adult, you want to do everything possible to keep aggression to a minimum.