Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When to Switch from Clay to Clumping litter?

JDG
April 26th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I'm using clay litter right now for my two kittens, I was curious to when they could switch to clumping litter?? Or are there benifits to keeping up with clay litter??

There are 8.5 weeks old. They have very good 'litter manners' They use one corner for pee, and another for poo, and they both cover their doodies. They also wipe their paws off on the side of the box when the get out. . . .

Thanks,

Joey

Lucky Rescue
April 26th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't switch until they are 4 or 5 months old, just be safe. Lots of clumping litters are also very dusty and kittens have very delicate respiratory systems. Go with the lowest dust type you can find.

You will also need to add another litter box when they are older.

vcheng79
April 28th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Don't know if this would help but I am using Sweaty Scoop for my 2 cats. It is a bit more expensive but the bag says it's all natural so even if the dust gets into them it's not harmful. Hope this helps.

kayla
April 28th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Not sure what the natural ingredients are vcheng79 but just a warning, just because something says it's "natural" doesn't mean it can't harm you! People use that as a gimmick all the time. But when you think about it there are many "all natural" harmful things, arsenic, formic acid.. They could advertise sugar as a "fat free all natural sweetener" and wouldn't be lying. Not saying that your litter is harmful, just thought I'd point out it's good to look past the "all natural" labels on things these days!

Also I feel like dust is harmful because it is tiny grains of material that gets embedded into the respiratory system, so any dust would be harmful whether natural or not. The best bet would be a dust-free litter..

twinmommy
April 28th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I would wait until you get them spay/neutered. That's about 6 months and they have usually passed the point where they would ingest it to "play". :)

While they heal from surgery you must use "Yesterday's News" litter, or actually tear up newspapers yourself, because the litter can aggravate the incision/sutures. And then once all's healed you can switch to clumping, at least that's what has always worked well for me. :thumbs up