Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wiping the bum after pooping?

monman
April 26th, 2005, 06:47 AM
One of our kittens pooped for the first time. Is it necessary to wipe their bum if there is some litter there or will they clean it up on their own?

BMDLuver
April 26th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Age of kitten? Type of litter? Is mom with these kittens? More details will help to advise. :)

monman
April 26th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Two 5 1/2-week old female kittens. Clumping cat litter. They're without mama (but are very happy!).

Thanks!!

BMDLuver
April 26th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Someone else will come along as well that is more cat experienced but here goes what I know:

Use regular litter for right now as clumping can affect their little systems if they do try to clean up. Yes, do use baby wipes to clean up after a bowel movement as mom would still be doing this if she were around.

chico2
April 26th, 2005, 08:05 AM
I suggest you do not use clumping litter for kittens,it can be very dangerous for their little bodies,works like cement in their system...
As for cleaning bums,I still have to do it on my one cat(Vinnie)being white,he needs help sometimes.. :D
But jokes aside,get rid of the clumping litter while you have kittens.

Trinitie
April 26th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Until they get the idea that they must clean their own bums, use a damp WARM cloth to wipe the little bums. The warmth and the wiping motion will also stimulate bowel movements if they haven't gone in a while. It kind of immitates the momma cat licking their bums for them.

Princesss04
April 26th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Use a warm wet rag and wipe their little bums, we are going through this right now with two kittens. As far as the liter I would not use clumping liter. When they do lick their bums or their skin it will get in their system and do just what it is suppose to do when wet. CLUMP! They can not break it down and it will conitnue to expand and will hurt them if not worse. I am so glad you are taking care of these babies. One thing I have found out with mine is kittens are so STINKY! LOL :D Mine is long haired cats think how hard it is to clean their bums. We had to cut the hair around their little bottoms and little to help out. LOL :D

monman
April 26th, 2005, 01:10 PM
OMG, I didn't know it was unsafe to use the clumping kind...I feel awful!! Could it have done any damage since they started using the litter box on Sunday? What type of litter would you recommend and what brand? I'll get it from Walmart today.

chico2
April 26th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Monman,don't feel bad,nobody tells you that when you buy it,I have 3 grown cats but stopped using the clumping stuff.
Just get a regular litter,dust-free..