Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 Cats, 2 dogs?

Safyre
April 26th, 2005, 12:33 AM
I know it is better to have two cats, to give them companionship and someone to paly with. But what about dogs? should you have two dogs as well, or is one good?
Justice tries to do the things my cats do (balance on arms of chairs, or the windowsill) so i always joke that we need another dog so she can understand what species she is.
But seriously, is it better to have two dogs as well? Thoughts on the matter?

Beaglemom
April 26th, 2005, 07:43 AM
I would think that if Justice was home alone with no other person or animal for companionship, then it might be a good idea to get her a playmate. How does she get along with your cats?

When I was growing up we had 1 dog and 2 cats. They got along great and our dog didn't mind being the only dog in the house. We then got a second dog when my first dog was a senior. It brought her back to life and she began to act like a puppy again playing with the younger dog. I swear it added years to her life!

But, I think the decision is ultimately up to you. If another dog is something you would like to have and can afford then it might be a good playmate for Justice. I'm pretty positive that Justice would like to have a playmate of her own species.

Princesss04
April 26th, 2005, 09:37 AM
I think that giving Justice a brother or a sister is a wonderful idea. I know they love to play, even if you have an older dog and you get a puppy you will be surprised how much the other dog will play. If you have the money to bring another pet into your family than I say go for it because there are so many dogs that would love to be part of your home and get spolied rotten. :D

twinmommy
April 26th, 2005, 10:07 AM
I always figured that I loved having a dog sooooo much, I couldn't resist getting one....for my dog. :D

I always claim that Gypsy is my dog, and Jake is Gypsy's dog. :D best of friends!!

Safyre
April 26th, 2005, 10:10 AM
There is almost always someone home, because there is me, mom, and step dad, who all work differnet shifts. The most Justice is home alone is 4 hours, and thats not everyday. She gets along great with the cats.

Only reason I was asking is cuz I know its best to have two cats, didn't know if the rule applied for dogs.

I'll probably be rescusing a jack Russell terrier within the next oooh.. probably 4 months. There is this person in my co-op who buys pets for her grandkids, then gets sick and tired of the animals and sends them off to the OSPCA. newest, is a cute lil jack russell named Casey. I *know* she is going to give this one up as well. and Casey is going to need some real assistance. He is already over weight at 4 months, it does not walk ANYWHERE, they carry it all the time. If the dog is on the ground, the grandma ells for one of the kids to pick it up. It's not house trained, and i don't think she knows HOW to house train the dog. She's already complaining that the dog won't calm down ("in the house with me, he's fine,as soon as the kids get home, he's wild. he needs to calm down!") ARGH!!

Sorry, thats my rant for today.

Blaze01
April 26th, 2005, 10:19 AM
...hmm...why is it a rule to have two cats? I thought cats liked being alone for a little while. Blaze is so spoiled i doubt that he would let another animal into "his" house.

Copper'sMom
April 26th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Here's what i always say.............................."The more, the merrier!!"

Prin
April 26th, 2005, 10:40 AM
You just have to be careful who you select as your second dog. Two dominant dogs of the same sex in the same house is looking for trouble... It's best to do a test weekend first to see how they get along for extended periods.

Boo really wanted a dog, and in my opinion he was removed from the litter too late (he bonds well with dogs and not so much with humans. If he didn't see a dog all day, he'd get mopey. We got Jemma because she is a people dog and if she came when called, Boo would at least follow her... :)

2Cats&AGolden
April 26th, 2005, 12:03 PM
On the flip side, having two dogs is a lot of work, while having two cats is not. At this point in my life I wouldn't dream of getting a second dog. Our golden is well trained and we bring her everywhere. She wouldn't be as welcome if there were two of her! To compensate, we make sure she is around other dogs several times a week, at family or friends homes, the beach or other parks/conservation areas.

Another thing that I've read is that two dogs will always prefer each other's company over their masters'. Food for thought!

kayla
April 26th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I'd say it depends on the individual cat or dog whether the rule applies or not. Two dogs would definitely be more work but if you have the time and money and the two dogs get along I think it's a great idea!

If you were seriously considering you could always try fostering to see how you and your dog like it.

Lucky Rescue
April 26th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Having two cats is very different than having two dogs.

Cats are not pack animals, have no hierarchy and will not fight for dominance (although they may fight for other reasons)

Two cats can be left alone if you go away for a week or so, if someone feeds them. Two dogs must be boarded and this is very expensive.

Trying to walk and train two dogs can be tough.

In short, having two cats is easier than having one, while having two dogs is much harder than having one.

Safyre
April 26th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Well I was just wondering that the opinions on it were, had always heard the two cats thing, wasn't sure if it was good for dogs as well.

Kayla - I might be fostering a Jack Russell if he gets given up by his current family (his current family has a history of giving up animals)

I don't plan on getting another dog, aside from that Jack to foster, for about three years. As stated on some previous threads, I plan to breed sometime in the future, and with luck, in three years I will be able to get my male in order to start showing. The breeder I deal with currently has just received a new girl, therefore I have to wait two years for her to be of age, and then wait for her to breed. So i'm counting on at least three years before getting another Toller.
Fostering in the mean time is something I am interested in, unfortunately, there is no rescues right in my city, therefore, i'm not sure how well fostering would work.