Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We Need Puppy mills Story

goldenblaze
April 25th, 2005, 11:20 PM
I sent a letter to w-five ctv tonight asking them to do another story on puppy mills. I know they did one awhile back but I though now with the new Laws in Qc plus all the information I have to share it might be a great idea to ask them to do another one. If anyone would like to send a letter to show you are interested aswell please do so, hope to hear back real soon and if not I will keep asking. They might get sick of me sending letter and do the story :)

W-Five CTV Email Address (w-five@ctv.ca)

Princesss04
April 25th, 2005, 11:34 PM
That is a good idea! I will write them the more you can get information in the people's hands the better off we are. I will write them right now. You are truly an angel for wanting to help out like this. http://bestsmileys.com/angles/12.gif

goldenblaze
April 25th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Where do you find these things ;) Yes I think the more people that write it will work. puppy mills are coming up everywhere and it's time for another story to be done I think.
Thanks for writing a letter

carey
April 26th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Great idea - let's keep up the pressure to raise as much awareness as possible. I don't even know how many Quebecers realise there is a new animal protection law in place.

Luvmypit
April 26th, 2005, 02:58 PM
I think you should make them show the role of the pet store too. people may find more of connection once they see that the pet store has a part in this too. Take there business away then no more puppy mills

Prin
April 26th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Like the one in Rockland shopping center that sells Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, in the middle of the city. Talk about not caring what happens to them. :mad:

girlie_girl
April 27th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I will right one as well I agree that ALL puppymills should be shut down and maybe if w-5 does another story it will help with our battle's against puppymills :grouphug:

goldenblaze
May 1st, 2005, 01:59 PM
This is great that people are willing to write W-five... this will work. I've been told they would be more then willing to look into this if people are really interested. Please everyone just a short letter is all we need, please send a letter telling them how you want puppy mills stoped.

mrmilo
May 2nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
Here's the letter I sent...
------------------
I am writing to you to let you know that June is World Pet Rescue Awareness Month and also to request that you do another story about Puppy Mills and the absolutely horrible conditions found there.

One of the events taking place on June 11 is the 2nd Annual Rescue Me Walk-a-thon in Toronto. This is the biggest Canine Rescue event in Canada and has over 14 different rescues joining forces to build awareness of rescues and help educate the public.

At this event, you will have the opportunity to meet hundreds of people that volunteer thousands of hours to rescue dogs. There will be dogs at this event that have spent years caged in puppy mills, but thanks to rescue people, foster homes and adoptive families they now can live out their remaining years loved and cared for. CFRB 1010 will also be doing a remote broadcast from this event.

goldenblaze
May 2nd, 2005, 10:05 PM
mrmilo,
Thanks for sending your letter, many people have sent letters and I truly hope we have good news very soon.

Lizzie
May 2nd, 2005, 10:15 PM
Hi there--I jotted this down but for my own reasons I'm not sending it....anyone who wants to send it is welcome to it! Though I would encourage only ONE person to send it--so if you send it let the board know. It's a quasi pitch letter--in the form the stations like to recieve...though it goes on a bit more than necessary because I'm tired and not very coherent right now.

Anyways, if someone wants to send it feel free to do so---I thought that sending a personal account would be helpful--I don't have one so that would be up to you.

__________________________________________________ ____________

It is with great interest that I am writing you, W-Five, in proposal of an interesting and critical story idea. As you may already know, each year thousands of unhealthy, poorly bred and mass produced animals are finding themselves at the centre of one of Canadaís lowest forms of profit generation. It is in a puppy mill where these innocent animals begin and often live out their lives, never having known the love of a human and the warmth of a forever home.

Sadly, female dogs are used as birthing machines, spending their entire lives within the confines of an unsanitary metal cage, void of love and human companionship. Even worse, Canadians are unknowingly falling prey to the trendy names, mass selection and flashy prices that puppy mills have to offer. Families are taking day trips to visit their local puppy mill, making their selection out of dozens of puppies, and driving home with their newly purchased, and likely unhealthy dog, none the wiser.

As your audience tends to be interested in learning whatís really going on in Canada, I suggest you report on the puppy mill situation in Canada, as well as outstanding and pressing issue of animal homelessness. Highlighting the alluring perception of puppy mills, and the false pretences under which they attract innocent families, your educated audience will gain the ammunition they need to help put an end to this unsightly blemish in the Canadian marketplace.

Your audience will care about this issue because animals, like children, are innocent beings in need of human protectionónot exploitation. Featuring your next door neighbour puppy mill, backyard breeder or pet store will touch home for Canadians, and perhaps strike a chord with those individuals who unknowingly contributed to the pet-producing industry.

A story on puppy mills and inappropriate breeding practices will be extremely timely if aired in the late fall, when families often make the mistake of buying an animal as a holiday gift, rather than treating an animal as an adopted member of the family. During this time of year, puppy millers increase their output, while animal shelters prepare to receive the overwhelming number of animals that are inevitably dumped by their new owners once they realize that puppies are like babies---they donít come trained, they need to be walked, and donít particularly enjoy being left home alone all day.

I encourage you to consider airing another piece on puppy mills. For your reference, I am attaching the personal experience of one Canadian who unknowingly purchased his/her dog from a puppy mill. The difficult start to this dogís life is just one example of the lack of concern puppy millers have for the pets they breed.

CyberKitten
May 2nd, 2005, 10:58 PM
I have been working closely with our local CTV affiliate as we prep for our annual telethon which they graciously offer their services for (Most ppl do not realize how much money - upwards of $150,000 if we had to pay for it - their service donated would cost) free. I am doing some on air stuff this yr so if any of you in the Maritimes watch the telethon for the Children's Hospital, should I wave or say hello to everyone from Pets.ca (It is actually seen by people with sattellite b/c we get donations from all over Canada - usually former Maritimers). I'll find a way to mention the site Marko, lol

Anyway, I will mention puppy mills to them - if they even know anyone at the national level, lol. They have a segment now on the daily "supper hour" show where people write in questions to a vet who answers them so they also realize how many pet people are out there. BTW, Boulder, Colorado has changed the term "owner" to "guardian" in its official language. Thought that was pretty kewl!