Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat hair brushes?

lilith_rizel
April 25th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Which are good for long hair cats. Spooks' fur gets matted and the soft bristle one that we have really doesn't work. His fur is far too long, and too thick.

Princesss04
April 25th, 2005, 07:17 PM
We have two new kittens and they have long hair as well. I was gonna post the same thing. LOL :D How is your doggie doing? :D

lilith_rizel
April 25th, 2005, 07:28 PM
As you may have reade in another psot, I was trying to decide what would be best for Cano. After giving it lots of thought, I did adopt him out. He is now with my MIL's friend Ray. He has 2 other labs, and has alot of land. I went out to check on him and he was too busy playing with the other dogs. Even without seeing me fore 3 or 4 days, he was to excited to come and see me. And Ray loves him. He calls me weekly to let me know how Cano is doing. So in the end, I think he is really happier where he is. I miss him, but I guess I did do the right thing.

Princesss04
April 25th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I am glad to hear that he is happy with his new family. As for the cat brush when you find out let me know because I need to get one for my babies I am using a baby brush right now because they are so small. :D

lilith_rizel
April 25th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I will let you know.

I just couldn't believe that Cano wouldn't come to see me when I came to visit before I left. He was too busy playing with Rays other yellow lab to say good bye, I guess. Well, atleast I know he is in a very good home. Ray has a few grandchildren that come over all the time, so he gets plenty of attention. Ray says that every time he brings Cano outside to play, he just chases the other yellow around the house. Rays other dog, black lab, is older, so she pretty much just lays there and watches. But I guess the three of them get along great.

lilith_rizel
April 25th, 2005, 07:38 PM
do the make wired brishes for cats, of is that to harsh on them?

Shamrock
April 25th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Soft bristle combs and brushes dont work well for most long haired cats.
I have 3 cats with long hair.. 2 persians and a ragdoll.
The himalayan has a massive coat that requires daily combing.
I've used a metal comb for several years on their coats - works the best by far, I find. They can be bought at any pet store - a wide-tooth style is needed.
For any matts that have formed.. they can usually be removed by gently and carefully pulling apart with the fingers.

Some people use what is called a greyhound comb for long haired cats.. can be ordered online.. but I find just the regular wide metal comb does the job nicely.

lilith_rizel
April 25th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks Shamrock. I think I have seen them at walmart before. I just wanted to know what would work before I bought anything.

Shamrock
April 25th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Lilith, I have a wire brush - never use it. Doesnt work at all for mine.
As the coat texture will vary with cats.. sometimes it is a trial and error.. but you're right... no sense buying stuff that is useless.
I think you will find the metal comb works nicely and yes.. Ive seen these at Walmart too.

CyberKitten
April 25th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Get a cat rake - they are available at WalMart for $6.99 or so, prob less in the U.S. Cats like the feel of it even if they do not have long hair - like a Siamese with short hair that I know (she puurs when I use either the rake or the comb on her.)