Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

wedding issues

raingirl
April 25th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Not my wedding though!

My best friend is getting married in August. It's a really small cheap wedding, as they are broke. I have a couple of issues already.

one, I will be a bridesmaid. Which means that I won't be able to sit with my "date" (my BF) during the ceremony or during the dinner. My BF doesn't really know anyone who is coming to the wedding. As well, my x-bf will be there, and I hate his guts, and I know my BF is not to keen on him either. I know a lot of my old friends will be there, and will likely talk to my BF, but because of my X being there, it will be akward as I won't be there with him sometimes. I'm afraid that something bad might happen...who knows.... Am I overreacting??

Second, the brides mother asked if my BF might be interested it using out digital camera to take pictures, as they weren't planning in hiring a photographer. My bf has some photography background. I personally am a little offended at this. Just because he doesn't know anyone, they thought he would be good being the loner taking pictures.

Anyone ever done that thing where you place disposable cameras at the table and people use them to take pics. How expensive is it to buy and develope in the end all those pics?

sammiec
April 25th, 2005, 04:11 PM
For my wedding we had the dates sit at the head table during the reception/dinner; mind you we had only a best man and a maid of honour. It's typical for any wedding that the dates not knowing anyone are usually placed at a table where the other dates are.

We hired a photographer and had disposables onthe tables. Some cameras can give you great photos where people are actually considerate about the fact that you paid for the cameras and that it's important to you, and you can have guests that are rude and ignorant and waste some of the cameras, as we had happen. It's expensive to develop and it's very disappointing to see the wasted cameras and your money. I would opt for not getting the disposables, especially if they don't have alot of money as it is.

Princesss04
April 25th, 2005, 04:11 PM
At my wedding (May 1, 2004) we did that. We placed a disposbal camera on all the tables. I got them off a website that was about $3.00 a camera. Than developing was about $4 if you got singels. We got alot of cool pictures. They were neat to see the wedding through the guest eyes. Now I do not think that should take the place of actual pictures. (by a photographer or someone doing them) I really liked this idea and I would reccommend it. Just make sure to announce to not let the kids be playing with them. Tell your friend Congrats! Enjoy that moment it will be in her memory forever. http://bestsmileys.com/wedding/9.gif

BMDLuver
April 25th, 2005, 04:16 PM
At our wedding, we invited the significant others to join us at the wedding table. It doesn't change the cost of anything and makes everyone much more comfortable. Perhaps you could gently suggest this to your friend or perhaps suggest you sit with your boyfriend at his table instead? As you are a bridesmaid and not maid of honour, you really aren't normally required at the head table but just to be available for photos and the ceremony part.

Writing4Fun
April 25th, 2005, 04:20 PM
I was a bridesmaid at my friend's wedding, but my husband was not in the wedding party. The same was true for others in the wedding party. What she did was had the couple, their parents and the matron of honour/best man at the table of honour with them. Then they placed two small round tables in front of and to the side of the table of honour where the bridesmaids' & groomsmen and their partners could sit together.

I think you can get those wedding cameras pretty cheap on-line, and then have them developed at Costco or something. BUT, I'd still suggest they have a couple of portraits done professionally - even if that means arranging to stop in at a studio for an hour before heading off to the reception. Maybe the bridesmaids & groomsmen can chip in and pay for a studio session as their wedding present?

Safyre
April 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM
most of the weddings Ihave been to have disposable cameras on the table, I'll ask my bestfriend what the cost of hers were.
As for the brides mother asking your BF to take the pictures, i wouldn't be offended by that. Unless the sentence was 'oh, you're bf doesn't know anyone, so can he take the pictures', there really is no reson to be offended. Do they know he has some photography background? it just may be a compliment taken wrong.

raingirl
April 25th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I've only been to 4 wedding so far. The first two I was under 5, and don't remember them. The last two, the entire wedding parties (bride, groom and all the brides maids, maid of honour, and groomsmem) were at the head tables as well...

nymph
April 25th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Take a deep breath, it's only a wedding.

Why do you have to drag the poor bf to your friend's wedding whom he doesn't even know very well? Unless he wants to, which I highly doubt, let him be with his own friends. Weddings are such a drag for guys just like shopping, they would gladly skip their own if they could. LOL

Disposable cameras were great at some point, now everyone has their own digital camera. I think Costco could have very cheap disposable cameras, but don't quote me on this.

kandy
April 25th, 2005, 05:04 PM
My sister in-law had disposables at her wedding, and for the most part it was great. The not so great part was that someone brought a date that thought those cameras were hers for the taking. Out of 10 cameras, I think my sister in law actually ended up with 5 or 6. I would also agree that they probably didn't mean the bit about the photos as anything but a compliment for your boyfriend - but I wouldn't make him go unless he really wanted to.

raingirl
April 25th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I will pass on the info about the cameras to my friend. I think my BF would rather be there then not..I think I have more worries about how my x will behave then anything (we dated 9 years, and aparently he still wants to be with me... so he could do something stupid).

Lizzie
April 25th, 2005, 08:44 PM
How big is this wedding? If it is as small as you make it seem, I dont think there should be an issue about your new bf being too far from you at any given time...small wedding equals small guest list equals small venue!

As for your old bf, it's really up to you how you allow it to go....don't give him the power..

lilith_rizel
April 25th, 2005, 09:11 PM
mind you we had only a best man and a maid of honour.

Same here. We had 2 weeks to prepare for the wedding. We rented a small hall, and had only about 20 guests. I wouldn't have changed it either.

Raingirl, I know of lots of people who have done that at their wedding. It works out very nice, put 2 per table, and have 2 designated people who will also take pictures of the wedding party table.

glasslass
April 26th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Actually, I think they are being very considerate to ask your BF to take pictures! Think about it! Not knowing anyone and being alone part of the time, taking pictures gives him an activity that gets him mingling with people without feeling awkward or like a wallflower. My hubby hates dancing but loves to move around the room looking for opportunities for great candid shots of the bridal party and relatives. I'm always the wallflower without a partner! Look your most gorgeous, dote on your BF, ignore the ex-BF, and have a wonderful time!

Prin
April 26th, 2005, 12:42 AM
I would tell them that since your boyfriend doesn't know anybody, chances are he will take pictures of the wrong people. Sometimes the dynamic eye-catchers are not the ones the bride and groom want to remember...

Quite frankly if it was me, I would leave the bf at home. You'll have a lot more fun and so will he. He doesn't have to be there, unless he's a "trophy man"...