Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog seems to be dreaming alot more then usual

Luvmypit
April 25th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Hey guys.
I know dogs dream. But Capone has been dreaming alot lately. Actually every night for sure and hes becoming more and more active. Last night on the couch he was growling (actually never heard him let out a real growl). Every night hes making noises and twitching. Its seems more then usual.
Do you think there could be something wrong? Hes a little more then 2 years old. Hes always dreamt but now its almost every time and hes more active and vocal.

nymph
April 25th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Has there been a change in his diet? My puppy Diego used to dream quite a bit when he was younger, he'd whimper and twitch, and his eyelids were trembling rapidly, but not anymore. I used to just gently pet him while he was dreaming and that seemed to help to calm him down.

Luvmypit
April 25th, 2005, 02:08 PM
No same food. Im wondering if it increased because he is older but its seems to happen more so this past 3 weeks. Im sure it is nothing.

Copper'sMom
April 25th, 2005, 02:29 PM
I think it's normal. Copper does this occasionally. Sometimes alot, sometimes a little. I always think it depends on how comfortable he is :p . There are times he has opened his eyes but was still asleep!! That is freaky! He twitches, growls, lets out little barks or wimpers. I used to wonder if he was having seizures or something but I know now he's just having one heck of a dream! If he's crying, I wake him up gentley.

nymph
April 25th, 2005, 02:30 PM
It is said that dogs who spent more time sleeping are more likely to dream, hence puppies dream more than adult dogs. There is an article about dogs dreaming right on the front page of pets.ca under pet tips.

sammiec
April 25th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Has he been more active lately? Usually when they are more active they dream more frwuently.
There's absolutely no need to worry. When a dog dreams they are happy and comfortable. Sometimes it's sad to watch them; but it's nice to know that you're making them very happy! :D

Luvmypit
April 25th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Maybe its the Spring air and the more frequency of walks. I thought the same Coppers mom that he could be having seizures. Just because I saw such an increase in dreams.
I read that little tibit on dreams. I feel better

WeeZee
April 25th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Yes, it must be the spring air! Our Cookie has a whole other life going on during sleep - lol. The facial expressions are priceless. I have fun trying to figure out just what she is doing at any particular moment. This goes on mostly after an active day at play and I know that, at the very least, she is enjoying it all over again. :)

Prin
April 25th, 2005, 10:20 PM
The only risk here is if they are seizures and not dreams. As long as he wakes up easy, they're dreams. I asked the vet a while ago because my doggies dream almost every time they sleep. I feel that the safer a dog feels in your home, the deeper they will sleep, and the more they will dream. I would take it as a compliment to your parenting! ;)