Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yorkie won't drink enough water

Merri
April 25th, 2005, 02:11 PM
I have adopted a 7 year old female yorkie who apparently had a very trying past. We finally got her to drink out of a water bottle cap. Yes, the very small ones... She was drinking off the floor or a small stream outside (which we DO NOT want her to do) when we first got her in September. I know she is dehydrated and I am just at a loss for what to do. Now she is dumping the little cap over and licking it up off the carpet. She absolutely has an aversion to metal, glass, etc. In fact, she will only eat off a "plain" small paper plate. Please, somebody help!

Writing4Fun
April 25th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Oh, the poor thing! Thank you so much for taking her in! :thumbs up

You might want to head to your local dollar store and try to find a small shallow plastic dish (maybe a candy dish?) and see if she'll drink out of that. I believe some dogs develop an aversion to their bowls/dishes if they had a bad experience (ex. being bullied by a food-agressive dog). I think it's just a matter of trial and error to see what will work for her. Once you find something she'll accept (for both food and water), gradually start moving it closer and closer to her regular bowls, until eventually you're right next to them. Next step is to put them right on top of/inside the feeding bowls.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Safyre
April 25th, 2005, 04:16 PM
She doesn't like drinking out a of a dish...
have you ever seen one of these in stores? Uasually for cats, there are versions for dogs (called Fresh Flow) I have attached a picture
The water runs over the dome, giving them a steady stream of water to drink from. My animals love drinking from running water, so it's perfect for them, sorta atreat thing. it might work for your dog

WeeZee
April 25th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I agree 100% with Writing4Fun.
How about meeting her half way for a bit, and tone it to a bowl over a few weeks. Maybe start with a cookie sheet, move on to a lasagna dish, a platter ... and so on. If you do go this route, I would take it slow so that she isn't confused by the change ... maybe have the "next edition" on the floor beside the bigger plate for a day or two before you remove the larger, and so on.

Our dog loves to drink out of puddles more than anything else, but does use her bowl(s) .... however, when I thought she wasn't getting enough for a few day spell, I gave her ice cubes. She loved the crunch - help take out some of her anxiety I think (she was so stressed at first :( poor thing). anyway, maybe some cracked ice cubes ... or for a neat treat, mix a bit of chicken broth in with a batch. Water & goodies at the same time :)

Good luck
and congratulations on your new addition!

Merri
April 26th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks for much for your responses! I will try them. She was drinking from the little cap, but lately she would rather spill it on the carpet. I know she is thirsty because she will drink the water if I pour it on the tile floor in our kitchen. It will be our first summer with her and I am getting a little worried. Thanks again.

Prin
April 26th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Also to check for dehydration, pull the neck fur out and let go. It should go back to normal faster than you can blink. If it is slow to unstretch, she needs vet care and fluids.

kandy
April 26th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I really don't have any different advice than what you've already gotten, I just wanted to say that I hope you solve her dish phobia! Does she eat her food out of a normal dish?