Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy misbehaves when left unattended

Gripenfelter
April 25th, 2005, 10:40 AM
He's a perfect angel when someone is around but if we leave the room to take a nap or leave him in the house for an hour while we go grocery shopping he goes nuts.

By nuts I mean he chews up our shoes, pulls his blanket out of his crate, removes various items from the coffee table and piles them in the foyer, chews on the baseboards, and generally makes a mess.

He doesn't whine when we leave the room. He's over his seperation anxiety phase.

He's 20 weeks old.

Any tips?

Trinitie
April 25th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Either leave him in his crate when you go out, until he can be trusted, or get him a toy that drops treats, so he'll play with it for the time you're not around.

He's bored and a bit "pissed" that you've left him and not taken him with you. He needs something to do or he'll destroy your house. If you can't trust him alone then he must be crated. There's really no two ways around that. Puppies must earn freedom. It should not be granted right off the hop, especially if they've shown they need supervision.

aussiemedogs
April 25th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I would still have him in a crate (when gone)....he may be good most of the time, but why give him the opportunity to misbehave?

Beaglemom
April 25th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Like everyone else said, he should still be left in the crate when there is noone around to supervise him. By allowing him this much freedom too soon he will pick up bad habits, such as the chewing, that will be harder to break when he is much older. It is hard to correct bad behavior when there isn't someone there, better to not let him misbehave. He is still to young to be trusted alone.

Gripenfelter
April 25th, 2005, 11:46 AM
I don't think he's pissed off. Reason I say that is because when I close the bathroom door he gets up and runs around and the minute I open the door he collapses where he is and plays innocent. :D

heeler's rock!
April 25th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I agree. Crating is your only option. Our 1.5 year old border collie and heeler cross are still crated when we leave because we can't trust them. They've put holes in my walls, window sills, side table, couches, and base boards, aswell as pulling out chunks of insulation from the basement even though we have a dog gate there. They just knock it over or jump it when we're not here. Dogs don't mentally mature until around the age of three, so until then if you know they can't be trusted alone, crating is the only thing you can do.

heeler's rock!
April 25th, 2005, 11:51 AM
He may not be pissed off, but he's definitely bored when you're gone, and that's why he misbehaves. He's still suffering from some separation anxiety. My in-laws mal was the same way when they'd leave him alone. Even at the age of 1 and 2 he was putting holes in the walls and destroying the house.

Gripenfelter
April 25th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Ok sounds good. Crate it is!

Trinitie
April 25th, 2005, 11:56 AM
I may have over-exagerated when I said he was "pissed" a bit. But he definately can't be left alone. If you leave the room, leash him and take him with you. If he's leashed, let's say - outside the bathroom, if you're in there - he can't be in the living room eating your sofa!

You may have to resort to the leash for keeping him under control, when he's not in his kennel. The leash can be quite long, and it makes him remember that he's not in control - you are. If you don't want to leash him, you'll have to kennel him, or go outside with him and wear him out by playing. Remember, a tired doggie is a good doggie. As he gets older, and starts to behave more, grant him more freedom. Too much freedom can overwhelm a pup and cause bad behaviour.

Princesss04
April 25th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I would crate him! Meater is a year old and Chino is 5 mts and they are crated. Yesterday when we left for church I thought since Meater is one year old I would leave them out and few hours and try it! MISTAKE! :eek: We shut all the doors and only let them have the kitchen and dining rooom and hallway. I had chewed up baskets, candles, etc. It was a mess. LOL Anyway so I am not sure how long you will have to crate them. But I would start crating. :D

nymph
April 25th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Puppies should not be given unrestricted access to your home until they can be completely trusted. I agree with everyone that the crate is your best solution.

raingirl
April 25th, 2005, 01:12 PM
You know what is funny, my dog only misbehaves when we are home. In the last week he discoverd our shoes and now brings them to us to chew in front of us. When we are gone, he just sleeps the whole time.