Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How old to leave puppy alone all day?

Dozer's Mom
April 25th, 2005, 08:51 AM
So our puppy is 9 1/2 weeks old now and we've had him for about a month. (I know, I know - 5 weeks was way too young - was a total BYB but after going to see him at 4 days and then again at 2 weeks old there was no way that I was changing my mind) Anyway, that's not the point of this. Okay, everyday for a month now, I've been leaving work in order to go home at lunch time and let him out and feed him. It's roughly a 20 minute drive depending on traffic and I have to go across a bridge (toll every time) so I am making 4 trips across this bridge a day. Also, the price of gas isn't exactly great so this is getting a little expensive. My boss at work is excellent about this but it's hard to say how long he will be so understanding. So what I'm wondering, is how old does anyone think he should be before I can leave him all day. I know about the 1 hour longer than his age in months pee holding rule so I'm thinking maybe between 5-6 months? i know some people have jobs and leave their puppy alone all day right from 8 weeks but I know that makes it harder to housebreak them. Any input would be appreciated.

nymph
April 25th, 2005, 09:54 AM
A 9-1/2 wks old pup is still quite young, I doubt that pup could hold for up to 8-9 hours. Mine is just over 15 weeks, and he could hold for about 7 hours at night, shorter during the day, but not more than 7 hours.

Can you find a sitter to come to feed the dog during lunch? My friend used a teenager girl, paid her $7/day to let the pup out, feed him and to play with him a little bit, and the little girl did a great job.

Dozer's Mom
April 25th, 2005, 10:03 AM
I know that 9 1/2 weeks is too young which is why I have been coming home everyday myself in order to let him out and feed him. I intend to come home myself until he is old enough to stay for the 8 hours by himself but I was just wondering if 4-5 months sounded okay. I intend to get an automatic feeder with a timer in order to still feed him the three times a day until 6 months of age.

goldenblaze
April 25th, 2005, 10:18 AM
No pup at this age will hold their pee, is there anyone that lives close to you that you trust to come in your home a couple times each day and look after your pup. Do you crate, if not could the pup be in a room gated off with puppy training pad for when he/she had to go. If you had someone in two or three times per day it would work well and you could stay at work...instead of paying tolls pay a babysitter. :D

Dozer's Mom
April 25th, 2005, 10:28 AM
In actuality it is probably cheaper for me to go home everyday than pay someone, and besides that, we just moved to a new area and i really don't know anyone that I would trust. I do realize that right now he is too young and i am fine with going home but I was just wondering at what age would be ok to leave him all day. He is crate trained but even at if I started leaving him all day at 4-5 months, I would just block him in the kitchen with a baby gate and leave paper down for him to go on.

Gripenfelter
April 25th, 2005, 10:29 AM
At 12 weeks of age my malamute could easily go 8 hrs.

I had my mom babysit him while I was at work though. lol

Beaglemom
April 25th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I definitely have to agree with everyone else on this. A sitter would be great to have come to your place and take the puppy out for you.

A puppy will have to go to the bathroom after he wakes up, after playing and after drinking and eating.

It won't be for several more months until your puppy will be able to hold it in longer and even then he can still have accidents. I'm not sure if by 4-5 months he will be able to hold it in for the full 8 hours though.

Lizzie
April 25th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Puppies, if trained properly, should ideally be able to hold it for one hour more than the number of months they are in age. So at the age of 4 months he/she would ONLY be able to hold it for a maximum of 5 hours...IF properly trained.

This however wont work if water is left out all day....a judgement u would need to make on your own for that one. During the hot summer months your pup might need water during the day, esp if he/she is going to be left home in an unairconditioned home to bake all day! ugh...here comes summer! If this is the case, the holding it factor may not work.

Have you considered litter training or using pee pads so the dog can eliminate whenever it needs to regardless of who is home to help?

Lucky Rescue
April 25th, 2005, 11:29 AM
No puppy that age should be left alone for 8 hours. Not only they have to poop and pee, but they have to eat in that period.

Also, this kind of isolation is very unnatural for pack animals and can cause behavior problems down the road.

MIA
April 25th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I vote for a doggy day care!!! Usually it's cheaper than having a dog walker or someone come by. Best part is they have a HOOT and get to play with other dogs!

Princesss04
April 25th, 2005, 12:01 PM
No puppy can stay that long by themself. They will have to pee and poop and they want to be around other people and animals. Is there someone you can have come in and walk him a few times. Or someone that can stay and watch him. There is always doggie daycare! :D

greaterdane
April 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Its great that everyone is suggesting day care and a pet sitter, but the poster has made it clear that she is willing to come home and pay tolls etc until the puppy is old enough to be left for the 8 hours. I dont think anyone has really given her the answer that she wanted. When Ozzy was 5 months old I was able to leave him in a gated room with his crate, puppy pee pad, food and water for about 7-8 hours. It worked well and Ozzy is a perfect dog, no seperation or aggression problems and is well socialized.

nymph
April 25th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I was just wondering at what age would be ok to leave him all day.

It really depends on your pup, every pup is different. He'll let you know when he's ready.

I totally understand your situation, my husband has to go home to feed our pup during lunch, luckily his office is only about 5 minutes away, but that could change. I can see that you are trying to do what's best for your pup, and I understand that not everyone could afford a sitter. Your puppy would let you know if that's working or not.

Lucky Rescue
April 25th, 2005, 12:44 PM
I dont think anyone has really given her the answer that she wanted.

Because there IS no uniform answer. It's like asking when a dog will be reliably housetrained. No one can answer it because it depends on the individual dog.

It also depends on personal opinion and experiences. Personally, I would never leave a little puppy alone every day for 8 hours, but that's JMO.

Dozer's Mom
April 25th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Thank you mommyof2bullies. That was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I was beginning to think that maybe I had left out the part of being willing to go home everyday and everyone thought I was leaving my poor 9 week old puppy home alone all day!! I did check into doggy daycare and there is one right by my work and it is $18.00/day from 7:30-6:00. I'm not sure if this is good or not but I am considering it for maybe 1 or 2 days a week just so that I don't have to do all that travelling everyday plus it would help him out with socialization. I have to wait until he gets second needles (this Friday) before I can do that though. I'm also afraid it might cause seperation anxiety because he won't understand that sometimes he gets to come with us and sometimes he doesn't.

greaterdane
April 25th, 2005, 07:55 PM
It also depends on personal opinion and experiences. Personally, I would never leave a little puppy alone every day for 8 hours, but that's JMO.

I dont want to comment because it is not my puppy, but she is not leaving a little puppy alone for 8 hours, she is still coming home to tend to it and was just wondering when would be the best age to stop coming home on her lunch breaks. And now I think she has her answer :)

What type of dog is little Dozer?

Dozer's Mom
April 26th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Dozer is a valley bulldog.