Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Think she'll hold off having our baby?

Schwinn
April 24th, 2005, 11:51 PM
So I just got an e-mail tonight from a friend who is organizing a team for a 24 hour race. I raced with the same team last year, and quickly replied when he asked me to join him again this year. That was a few months ago, and I figured it was for the race in August, same as last year. I just read his "update" e-mail, and it turns out it's for the race in June. June!!?? Oh oh. The race is the 18-19, and baby's due date is...yup, the 20th. She's insisting I go, as long as there is cell service out there. We have one friend who had thier child 2 weeks early, and another 2 weeks late. Hmmm...that doesn't help. On the plus side, if she calls and hangs up before I answer half way through my lap, I'll probably set a record time. Another thing is, if I can actually not screw up with the police force this time, hopefully I'll know I'll be going to police college a few weeks later, so I'll have some pull when I'm doing way fast down the highway and get pulled over.

On a related note, I just finished painting the baby's room bright Disney orange. Originally, I agreed to the orange, and I said I wanted to go with the "candy" looking finishes. Next thing I know, I'm standing in the room going, "Uh, this is really orange!" I'm thinking of doing the trim in a green, or possible do each wall-trim in a different colour, all in candy-like hues.

Man, this kid is already starting me on the bid decisions, and he/she isn't even here yet! (I can hardly wait, though...!)

Safyre
April 25th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Is this the first baby? Are they using 40th week of pregnancy as due date? (some hospitals are now using 38 weeks as due date, with some of my clients at least)
Honestly, it'll be easier to make the decisions to go THAT week. if she has a doctors appointment that week (or midwife, sorry don't know what you are using) they can advice how far she is dilated, effaced, if the cervix has even moved into the correct position for birth. At that time, it'll be easier to make the decision.
How far away is the race from your home anyways?

Prin
April 25th, 2005, 04:27 AM
Schwinn, come on!!! The answer is so OBVIOUS. Just tell her to hold it in until you're done. :party:

jackieb
April 25th, 2005, 07:08 AM
I was always early but i know alot of people who overrun if you have a cell and its not to far. Also if she has a drs or midwife appointment before at least you know.

Bet your so looking forward to it now glad youve painted the babys room have you found out the sex?

Bearsmom
April 25th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Tell her to stand on her head. LOL.

I was three weeks overdue, they guesstimated my due date incorrectly. Just make sure you have your cell phone on, and get a friend's cell phone number, too, in case your service doesn't work.

Don't worry about speeding to get home, tell the officer why you're doing it, and they'll probably either let you go, or reduce the speeding amount. Or, they'll just tell you you'll never make it if you're dead and charge you the full whammy. Has she got an alternate in case you're too far? First babies usually take awhile to appear.

Orange? How cool!

Prin
April 25th, 2005, 01:51 PM
You know they say orange instills happiness... That's why a lot of stuff in schools is orange. Subliminal hypnosis...

Writing4Fun
April 25th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Well, Schwinn, I have to ask - does Murphy's Law play a dominant role in your life? Because if it does, then I can guarantee you that she'll deliver when you're at the furthest possible point on the course, but if you don't go, then she'll be three weeks late. :D

Prin, I didn't know that about orange. :cool: We're due to repaint the baby's room - maybe I should check out the orange swatches instead of Ferrari red...

sammiec
April 25th, 2005, 03:52 PM
I'm sorry, but you couldn't ask me to hold this thing in 1 MINUTE longer then I am supposed to! LOL

It's going to have to wait until she is closer to her due date before you can make the decision.. June 20th isn't that far away, I would wait until her last appointment before the race and see what her condition is like, then go from there... I can tell you this.. she will NOT be a happy camper if you're away when she's giving birth!

*stepping quitely and slowly away from the thread...*

BMDLuver
April 25th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I somehow think you may need to plan to miss this event. Babies have a way of screwing up the best laid plans. My husband was supposed to be in Montreal when I was a month away from delivery of our second child. He postponed his trip by a week due to work related issues and the baby said nope, you are stuck here pal and arrived 3 weeks early. She was not letting Daddy be out of town if she could help it.

twinmommy
April 25th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Whether you actually make the event or not remains to be seen. A lot of first babies are late.....(yeh right!!)

I can tell you it'll be the last thing you plan for a while!!!! ;) hehehe

kandy
April 25th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Chances are, if you're gone, that's when she'll go into labor. As a woman, and a mother, I would say that although she may say right now that it's OK for you to go - there will be hell to pay if you're not there when the big moment comes. Every woman wants to be able to see the face of their loving husband as they scream that they'll never have sex again because you did this to them! LOL :evil:

Schwinn
April 25th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Well, Schwinn, I have to ask - does Murphy's Law play a dominant role in your life? Because if it does, then I can guarantee you that she'll deliver when you're at the furthest possible point on the course, but if you don't go, then she'll be three weeks late. :D

Oh, I know that is EXACTLY what will happen. My wife is actually insisting I do the race. I actually was telling her I wasn't going to go to the race, but she insisted. I think it is around an hour away. I also told her I was going to start driving to the subway, since my first GO train leaves downtown at 4 pm, but she's insistant that it won't be "urgent". It will be quite the battle, her good karma vs. my bad karma...

I've already thought about getting pulled over. I'm hoping I can use the "Look, I'm in the middle of applying...". I helped them pull over a drunk driver the other night, I asked them if I could add that to my resume. (I called them today, as I'm elegible next week, and my answering machine cut them off right before they either told me to call to set-up an appointment, or take a hike. The next 24 hrs will be VERY long!)

When the room is finished, I'll take some pictures. We need to get some more colours in it though. Right now, it's so bright, I'm afraid our child is going to grow up with pin-pricks for pupils!

mona_b
April 25th, 2005, 11:02 PM
A lot of first babies are late.....(yeh right!!)

LMAO.

My daughter came 2 weeks early. :rolleyes: My sister has 4 kids.And from all 4 only one was born on the due.

Remember the saying,you ususally give it 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after the due date.That's what I have always been told. :D

lilith_rizel
April 26th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Scwinn, Judith came on time for us, and it was our first. Like I was told many times, the baby decides when you go into labor. Pluss if it is the first baby, labor will be about 12+ hours, normally....

happycats
April 26th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Schwinn, I know your wife wants you to do the race (sounds like a wonderful woman) But you wouldn't want to miss the birth of your first child! (my SIL delivered her first in 45mins!!)
Trust me this is the most beautiful, wonderful experiece of your whole life!!
I can't describe the emotions running through every fiber of your being, when you see that beautiful gift from God entering the world!!
I believe you will regret it for the rest of your life, if you miss it :sad: .
There will be other races, and only one birth of this child!
That's just my opinion :o (I know my husband wouldn't have missed it for the world) :)

Schwinn
April 26th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I'm thinking that I might talk to the team captain and find out how much they need me, also find out who will be around at that time. The hospital is half way between the race and our house. I might also find out if I can be "in reserve", so that he can fill his team and if the baby comes early, I can jump in at the last minute.

And yes, she is wonderful! I'm a lucky man!

mona_b
April 26th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Pluss if it is the first baby, labor will be about 12+ hours, normally....

I was only in labour for 4 hours. :D ..But trust me,I am paying for it now......LOL

But in a way I have to agree with happycats.As wonderful as a woman that your wife is in wanting you to be in the race,I think that maybe you should just skip this one.You definately don't want to miss the birth of your first child.My BIL missed the birth of his first son.Unfortunately he had no choice.He was at a call at the time.

Schwinn
April 27th, 2005, 10:16 AM
We talked about it last night, and she's insisting I go to the race. I'm thinking that I might tell her if she comes with me. I don't know if she'll sleep well in a tent, though. I think I'll decide closer to the due date. It's funny. I'm insisting I don't go, she's insisting I do.

lilith_rizel
April 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I was only in labour for 4 hours.
I was in labor for 38+ hours....... I stopped dialating, so they had to give me pitocin, and were seriously concerdering (sp?) a c-section...... :eek:

Writing4Fun
April 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Schwinn, I would also be insisting that my husband go, but trust me ... I'd be wishing that he didn't. Of course, I'd also feel really guilty if he didn't go and I wound up being 2 weeks late. :p

Lilith, I was in labour with my first for 20+ hours before they decided to do a c-section. I know that women react differently to it, but in my case, it really wasn't that bad. It was actually a lot of fun for me, because I felt no pain at all during the birth, I was able to laugh and joke with the nurses & doctor (we were taking bets on the weight & length ;) ), I was up and walking within hours, sent home after 3 days, and shopping in a week. :D

Prin
April 27th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I have to agree with not going, but if she is insisting you go, I suggest you pretend to go and then show up unexpectedly quick for the birthin'. The only way to "pretend" so that it's not a lie is to buy her a present while you're out. :)

kandy
April 27th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I think Prin had the best idea! Giving birth is very scary, especially the first time - I would've been very lost without my husband there. I was in labor for about 36 hours and had to have the pitocin, after they had filled me full of morhpine to try to stop the labor (morphine doesn't work on me - but they didn't ask me before they gave me the shots). They made my husband go home after they gave me the first shot of morphine telling him that I would be asleep in a few minutes and we'd have this baby in the morning. After the second shot of morphine didn't knock me out they decided to try the pitocin. All the while I was giving those nurses hell because they told hubby to go home. We live 20 miles from the hospital and he had barely gotten home when they called to tell him to come back. She may think that she wants you to do this race, but when the time comes she'll be wanting you there - I garonteee (cajun version) it!!

mona_b
April 27th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Wow.I really feel for all you woman who had a long labour....((((( HUGS )))))

I had the epadural(sp)...So I felt nothing.... :thumbs up ....But I tell you,my back has never been the same..... :sad:

Schwinn,who knows,maybe the baby will come before her due date.Then you can go to the race... :D

Writing4Fun
April 27th, 2005, 10:32 PM
I had the epadural(sp)...So I felt nothing.... :thumbs up ....But I tell you,my back has never been the same..... :sad:
I know the feeling! They had the darndest time getting it in the first time (contractions coming every 30 seconds, they've got me bent over a pillow saying, "OK now, this is very dangerous - don't move!" :eek: ). It took them forever, it hurt worse than the contractions did, there was blood everywhere, but in the end it was for the best because I needed it in for the c-section anyway. With the second (planned) c-sec, it was a little easier because a) I knew what was coming, b) I wasn't in the throes of labour at the time, and c) the new method is to inject the pain killers at the same time as the spinal block, so yeah, it hurts, but the pain gets dulled a lot quicker. I used to love sleeping on my stomach, but now it puts too much of a strain on my poor, abused lower back. :(

twinmommy
April 27th, 2005, 10:46 PM
oohhhh :eek: is that why I can't tummy-sleep anymore???

Other than that, I had it pretty easy, 12 hours, 2 babies, 22 minutes apart.

*ducking as other women in thread try to whack me :) *

mona_b
April 27th, 2005, 10:50 PM
I know the feeling! They had the darndest time getting it in the first time (contractions coming every 30 seconds, they've got me bent over a pillow saying, "OK now, this is very dangerous - don't move!" :eek: ). It took them forever, it hurt worse than the contractions did, there was blood everywhere, but in the end it was for the best because I needed it in for the c-section anyway. With the second (planned) c-sec, it was a little easier because a) I knew what was coming, b) I wasn't in the throes of labour at the time, and c) the new method is to inject the pain killers at the same time as the spinal block, so yeah, it hurts, but the pain gets dulled a lot quicker. I used to love sleeping on my stomach, but now it puts too much of a strain on my poor, abused lower back. :(

OMG...... :eek:
All they had me do is lay on my side...To be honest,I didn't feel a thing...All he said was for me to let him know when a contraction is coming so he can stop.I was praying one wouldn't come so he could hurry up and finish.And he was kind of pissed at me anyways.I interupted his lunch....LOL

I hear you about the sleeping on the tummy...I too love sleeping on my tummy.And yes,it's a major strain.my back is to arched.So what I have to do is have a pillow tucked under my tummy.This way it somewhat elevates and evens my back. :thumbs up

Schwinn,is wifey going oh natural?

Schwinn
April 28th, 2005, 09:49 AM
She wants to put off the epidural...she doesn't think it's a good thing anytime they stick needles in your spine. As for other drugs, I've suggested she take them, for my sake! ;) I personally don't see the need to avoid all drugs just for the sake of not taking drugs (I'm referring to legal here!). My feeling is if it will make it easier, and then go for it. We're taking the nurses advice, don't rule out anything. When the time comes, if she needs it, she'll take it. As for the epidural, as someone who has a spine with a quarter-inch slip in the L5 (I have two 90 degree bends in my spinal cord in my lower back), I have to agree with her on that one.

As for the race, she's still pushing me to do it. I've decided to take a "wait and see" attitude. One thing is for sure, she will NOT be home alone that weekend. Also, I'm still trying to work off some more of the belly, so I'm not sure I'm ready to spend 24 hrs in a spandex shirt just yet. :yuck: