Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Morning sickness?

BEAR_NZ
April 24th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Please don't think i am ridiculous for asking but is it possible that cats get morning sickness? I am actually quite concerned... Momma Cat (Muppy) turned up at our home on easter week, about 9 months old, smootchy and sweet, and we fed and cuddled her, and she returned every day that week to eat, and investigate our home... each time i would call her, she would appear from out of the bushes on our property straight away... and i suspected that she had been dumped and was looking for a home. On the morning of Good Friday, my husband was looking out the kitchen window and was completely stunned when out of the bushes came Muppy with a tiny approx 2 day old kitten in her mouth(i weighed her on the kitchen scales),who we have named Bella.Bella is now 5 weeks old, and we have pretty much hand reared her from the start.
This morning as i was getting out of bed, i heard Muppy give a strange yowl, and then another, and as i walked down the hallway there were 2 patches of clear bright yellow frothy vomit on the plastic mat. I went to Muppy straight away and cuddled and talked to her. She appeared to be completely fine, not in any pain, and walking around as normal. She is not off her food.
My husband said that he thinks she may have done this a week ago also,first thing in the morning, but he didn't know what it was, as the stuff she brings up is pretty clear.
We have her booked in on May 9th to get spayed, as there is a bit of a waiting list at our vets at the moment, but lately there have been 2 toms hanging around our place, and muppy has been extremely flirtatious.... my question is... do cats get morning sickness? is this what Muppy's sickness could be caused by?she appears to be completely fine. She is longhaired, i have heard of furballs, but what do they look like? she has really been attacking Bella, biting her severely lately all over. At first i just thought that she was teaching her to stalk and play, but she really hurts her and we have to intervene.

Karin
April 24th, 2005, 11:29 PM
No. No morning sickness involved.

Safyre
April 25th, 2005, 12:10 AM
I'm not sure if cats are the same as dogs in regards to this, but I'll post just in case

Every once in a while, Justice throws up yellowish liquid, sorta frothy looking, it was concerning me, so I asked the vet. He asked if it was at a particular time of day or anything for Justice it wasn't however:
It is possibly stomach acid that the cat is throwing up. Thier stomachs, like ours, produce acid. Sometimes, if their feed times are too far apart, the build off of acid is too high, and they have to throw it up.
Solution? Feed more often. Same amount, just more often.

Lucky Rescue
April 25th, 2005, 01:46 AM
If your cat has been going outside and is intact, then she is most likely pregnant. IF you hand reared the kitten, she probably went back into heat extra early.

she has really been attacking Bella, biting her severely lately all over. At first i just thought that she was teaching her to stalk and play, but she really hurts her and we have to intervene.

If she's pregnant, she's trying to drive out her "old" kitten to make room for a new litter.

No idea what's causing the vomiting, but you can have that checked when you take her in for her spay.

BEAR_NZ
April 25th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Thanks Safyre, i will try that, sounds possible especially as it was first thing in the morning, and she had not had any food since the evening... and it was bright yellow and frothy. Not much of it, but two little patches. She appears to be healthy and well. Acting normal today.