Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new kitten not purring

Tlcarpenter
April 24th, 2005, 11:00 PM
hi, I just brought home a new kitten about 24 hours ago and although she seems content, she has not purred yet? I have never had a cat or kitten not purr, she is cuddly and sweet, and a little scared but not purring. Any suggestions?

BEAR_NZ
April 24th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Hello there, our little kitten is 5 weeks old and we have heard her very faintly purr a couple of times. How old is your new baby? i would suspect that she will still be very much settling into your home and getting to know you and all the new noises and smells around her. I have also wondered when they really get their purr!

Karin
April 24th, 2005, 11:37 PM
*opening up my kitten rule book/instruction manual*. Hmmm? Says here that kittens most likely will do what they want to do, purring is an option they choose. Some are loud, some not. Some choose to purr when a bit older too.(Curosity over rules)

twodogsandacat
April 25th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Normally I would ask "What does the owners manual say"?

Do kittens purr right away?

Our dog didn't bark, swim or chase a ball for almost a year.

Now he won't shut up barking for us to throw the ball into the water. I would say - wait it will come.

BEAR_NZ
April 25th, 2005, 01:58 AM
are you sure its a cat?? ha ha :D just kidding!!!!

chico2
April 25th, 2005, 09:27 AM
My little Vinnie had a purr soo loud,you could hear him from across the room,but he was rescued from the street,maybe he was just so happy to be in a nice warm house with lots of food :D
Here he is,a couple of days after he was found,content and happy :p but I think purring is an individual thing.

Britishvixen21
April 25th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Mya hardly ever purred, only when she was in heat then we got her fixed and she now never purrs. Cali on the other hand purrs so loudly that I thought she had a resparatory infection at first. Mya also never wanted to sit on your lap or nead, where as Cali is like a kitten who got big but never grew up!!! I guess its different whiskers for different puss! Besides you have only had your cat 24 hours, Id say give it time. Look at it from puss's perspective, Im sure if you had been moved as a child to a new set of parents you wouldnt be cuddling them and sleeping soundly the first night.

Good luck with your new kitty.

Beetlecat
April 25th, 2005, 09:58 AM
My cat used to rarely purr. He was very quiet and independent and so when he did purr, it felt like a very special thing. My family doubted he could purr, since I was the only one who ever heard him.

Now that he's older and has losened up a bit, he's become much more cuddly and vocal and purry. So much so that he even purrs for other people now :)