Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog likes to topple my garbage cans when I'm not around!

Gary King
April 24th, 2005, 08:53 PM
My dog likes to topple my garbage cans when I'm not around. What can I do to stop this habit?

Writing4Fun
April 24th, 2005, 09:11 PM
A very simple solution is not to leave garbage cans where the dog can reach them. :)

Gary King
April 24th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Erm so where would I leave them? On top of a table? That would be quite inconvenient for myself :(

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 09:24 PM
More inconvenient than picking up garbage all the time?

coppperbelle
April 24th, 2005, 09:43 PM
This is a hard one to fix. It is like an all you can eat buffet and all they have to do is knock over the garbage pail to get to it.
Is putting the pails in a cupboard or under the counter an option? If not, you could try setting them up. When you catch them in the act clap loudly, say no or spray them with a water gun. I know people who fill an empty soda can with pennies and shake it when their dog does something they don't want them to do. Make sure they don't see you do the shaking if you try this.

Lucky Rescue
April 24th, 2005, 10:27 PM
No one said you should put the cans on top of your table. Many of us here have dogs, and keep them out of the garbage without doing that.

I use type of garbage bag that attaches to a frame inside my kitchen cabinet then put the bag into a can that has a locking lid. Keep the can in a gararge, locker or balcony if you live in an apartment. Simple.

Gary King
April 24th, 2005, 11:07 PM
My dog generally knocks over 3, sometimes 4 garbage cans. Putting them away everytime I leave the house when be a chore :(

SnowDancer
April 24th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I have my Green, Blue and Grey Bins all in a row outside. Inside I have my mini counter "Green Bin". I also have a 21 lb. American Eskimo with a terrific reach. The organic products go into the counter container - pushed to back so pup can't reach it - and is emptied daily - sometimes more than once. As I empty items that can go into the other bins they are tossed immediately - after rinsing of milk containers etc - actually if summer ever comes I will buy milk in glass bottles. Junk mail doesn't even make it inside the house - straight to bin. The remaining garbage I keep where puppy can't get it and take it outside. Hence no trash containers anywhere in the house - just the odd small kitchen catcher on the top of a dresser or somewhere to pick up loose stuff. The Green Bin program is difficult, but helpful in some ways when it comes to dealing with garbage.

goldenblaze
April 24th, 2005, 11:37 PM
My dog generally knocks over 3, sometimes 4 garbage cans. Putting them away everytime I leave the house when be a chore :(

wow this is one tough Shih Tzu :D

Writing4Fun
April 24th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Well, like Lucky said, I have a garbage can under the kitchen sink. Where are these other cans located in the house? If they're in bedrooms or bathrooms, then shut the doors. May I ask why you're suddenly trying to curb behaviour that's been going on for 10 years? Just curious...

Cinnabear
April 25th, 2005, 01:54 AM
What I would do is put something heavy on top so it's not easy to topple. If he licks the garbage can, try spraying it with vinegar or bitter apple see if that helps.

raingirl
April 25th, 2005, 10:15 AM
you are talking about small garbage bins you keep in bedrooms and bathrooms and things right?

What we did is we have all garbage bins in cupboards (kitchen) or closets bedroom/bathroom)

Trinitie
April 25th, 2005, 11:03 AM
You have a Shih-Tzu - get a heavier can. If you have a little dog, there should be no way for him to topple a typical kitchen garbage can. If you don't want to get a bigger can, in the other rooms other than the kitchen, then close the doors so he can't go in those rooms when you're not home.

If you had a Great Dane, then other solutions would have to be looked at. But, such a small dog can't topple a can too big for him.

Remove the source of the trouble and your dog will have no choice but to leave them alone. Pretty simple really.

kandy
April 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I think that I would find it alot more convenient to put the cans up if I couldn't keep the dog away from them than picking up garbage - eeewh - all the time. I've had my dogs get into the trash a couple of times, but I don't even allow them to smell it without getting told "NO" and it really has never been a problem for me.

heidiho
April 25th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Keep your garbage can under the kitchen sink then

Trinitie
April 25th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Keep your garbage can under the kitchen sink then

The most "to the point" post of this thread. Well said Heidi.

Eleni
April 25th, 2005, 03:44 PM
also you could crate your dog when you cant supervise him.

my dog would destroy the shoue im sure if i left him roam when i wasnt paying attention.

Eleni

poohbear123
April 26th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Ours gets into the garbage at night so we bought a new can with a lid no good he pulls the bag to get the garbage out so now when we go to bed we put it up on the kitchen counter (if we remember) we have no room under our sink with is an ideal place for a garbage can. Last night I forgot to put it up and he was fine my husband scolded him last time he did it so maybe he has learned that he is not allowed in it...lets hope. Hubby was not too happy at 5am having to clean up garbage!! :yuck:

heidiho
April 26th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Thank u,i know alot of people who keep it under the sink,problem solved.....

Gary King
April 26th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'm just going to get a bigger garbage can.

The garbages cans that my dog knocks down are all on the 2nd floor in bedrooms; they are small garbage cans. Also, the garbage is not what you think - there are no food products, only things such as paper, cardboard, etc. so it's not actually that big a deal to clean up (since he doesn't do it all the time as well, and we do go out often.)

Trinitie
April 26th, 2005, 04:30 PM
That's probably the best solution. A larger can would be one he can't get into. You may also want to look at one with a lid.

Gary King
April 26th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I actually 'upgraded' one of my other garbage cans to a taller, and steel one. It works wonders :p

Trinitie
April 26th, 2005, 04:51 PM
That big can must frustrate the heck out of that little tiny dog. :p :p
Keeps him safe though, and that's the whole point!!

glasslass
April 27th, 2005, 12:04 AM
I had a tall lidded rattan basket that I kept my garbage bag in. DenDen2 used to pull it over until I put two bricks in the bottom of it. The weighted bottom kept him from being able to pull it over. DenDen3 and 4 never pulled it over either.

wjranch
April 27th, 2005, 12:47 AM
there are no food products, only things such as paper, cardboard, etc. so it's not actually that big a deal to clean up

Just thought I'd mention this.... paper and plastic aren't real good for the GI Tract of a dog. As much fun as that toilet paper is to shred, it's not good for the belly :(
Also, I've known dogs to eat Q-tips , the lids of pens, broken balloons, feminine hygiene products (sorry folks but it's true) and many other items from trash cans.
So, to be really safe.... definatly get yourself some more secure cans. It would help if you got the type that you need to press on the lid to release it, even if he knocks it over, it isn't open and won't spill out on the floor.

:)

Gary King
April 27th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Okay, thanks for the tip!

kandy
April 27th, 2005, 04:43 PM
The locking lid will also save any women in your house (if there are any) from enduring the embarrasement of having a dog proudly display a feminine product that he retrieved from the bathroom garbage! :p

maddoxies
April 27th, 2005, 06:29 PM
I can SO relate to this thread

My 12 pound mini doxie can topple cans I never thought he could reach. I am hanging things from the light fixtures to get things out of his reach. I find the little cans under the sink too small. A juice carton and a couple of other items and it is full.

I do like the brick idea. I will give that a try for my current kitchen can.I do have a can with a locking lid in the bathroom, but it is too small for practical kitchen use.

I do not crate him during the day, as this is the only trouble he gets into, if i forget to move the can before going to work. He would probably bark his head off if I crated him during the day, even in the "big dog" crate.

Please let me know if anyone finds a really good sized kitchen garbage can, that V cannot knock over or that the lid FIRMLY locks. This is one determined little doxie. He is a challenge after my laid-back golden. :evil:

SnowDancer
April 27th, 2005, 08:16 PM
goldengirl - Even after full body surgery, my mini Dachshund managed to swing himself up on to the toilet seat - from their to the bathroom skin - from their to the shelf to help himself to a jar of Vaseline. Then he got down and swung himself on to the edge of the tub and walked around it to check out the body lotion. I once found him on the kitchen counter after he pushed a chair close enough to haul himself up. Where there is a will - and with Dachshunds there sure is - and when they can't quite reach it - well they can train the cat.

glasslass
April 27th, 2005, 08:27 PM
You better believe it! T'Grr and Den-Den had this mental telepathy thing going on. Whatever Den-Den wanted, T'Grr would knock it down to him! I walked into the bedroom to find shredded kleenix all over and Den-Den in the act of pulling them out of the box. I put the box back on the nightstand and gave him a scolding. As I was leaving the room, T'Grr jumped to the nightstand, grabbed the box with his little jaws and flung it down on the floor where Den-Den promptly jumped on it again! It was so cute, I couldn't scold him again!