Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

[Dog] My dog pees where I don't want him to pee!

Gary King
April 24th, 2005, 07:59 PM
My dog pees where I don't want him to pee!

I have had my dog - Sparky, for nearly 10 years, so I'm not sure if he is willing to break his habit.

But, the problem is that I have already designated a location for him to poop in, in the house (it's a mat I placed on the floor w/newspaper). The problem is that he only pees there, and poops elsewhere in the house. How can I get him to both poo and pee in that one location? Or is it natural that dogs don't like pooing and peeing in the same location?

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 08:09 PM
If you don't clean it in between, a dog probably won't go in the same place twice indoors.

If you do clean it, I suggest keeping your dog on a leash in the house, so you can guide the doggy to the mat if you see him doing circles.

I can't imagine not having a house trained dog for 10 YEARS!! Wow. What kind of dog is this?

Gary King
April 24th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Shih Tzu. The thing is, is that when we leave (out for dinner, etc.) then return at about 8pm to take him out, we find that he has already pooped. This normally happens when he absolutely refuses to poo during his morning stroll.

But when I take him out again, he still poos a bit more!

Cactus Flower
April 24th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Try putting the poo on the newspaper, and make sure there is a large enough papered area that he doesn't have to step in his urine to use the rest of the paper.

mafiaprincess
April 24th, 2005, 09:15 PM
You may have to change your dogs schedual and your schedual for a while so they coincide and you can watch to make sure you take the dog to the correct location when it shows signs of needing to go.

Gary King
April 24th, 2005, 09:23 PM
I only go out about once a week during dinner time :) The other days, I normally take my dog out at the same time every day - around 6 pm.