Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with spaying

shani
April 24th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Does any one know if my new 4 year old maltese can be spayed while menstruating?? I have an appt in AM but she just started bleeding..

Lucky Rescue
April 24th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Your dog can be spayed while in heat, but if there is no chance of her getting pregnant during this heat, you can wait til it's over, in roughly 3 weeks.

Spaying during a heat cycle is a little trickier and more expensive.

shani
April 24th, 2005, 05:58 PM
I will take her then. I just got her 3 days ago and made the appt. i dont feel comfotable having her until she is fixed. too many dogs around...

coppperbelle
April 24th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I would give your vet a call before you drive over. I know last week one of our foster dogs came into heat the night before she was to be spayed and the vet advised against doing it.

shani
April 24th, 2005, 06:14 PM
TY i Left a message for them......

I would give your vet a call before you drive over. I know last week one of our foster dogs came into heat the night before she was to be spayed and the vet advised against doing it.

Karin
April 24th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Good to give your vet a heads up...some will spay in heat, some will not. I am sure she will be fine but why chance it...the blood supply being enriched makes for a trickier Sx, and crucial fluids can be lost. (the stress her body is going through makes recovery tougher too)..and the spay can cost more.

Wait if your vet advises you to.

Writing4Fun
April 24th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Nothing to add here. Just wanted to say Thank You for having your girl spayed. :D :thumbs up