Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

breeding help

blkkitty
April 24th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Hi my name is Angie. I have a 2 year old Bichon Frise that I am trying to mate. I have her male picked out and they visit each other everyday. She started bleeding 10 days ago and is more of a pink tinged discharge now. The male has very little interest. He sniffs her and cleans her vulva but no mating. Should I worry or is it just to early? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. You can email me if you want at *****

***no email addresses please

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 02:44 PM
If your dogs came from a reputable breeder, you should ask them for help. If they didn't come from a reputable breeder, you shouldn't be breeding them.

blkkitty
April 24th, 2005, 02:51 PM
My breeder moved out of the province and I cannot locate them. I think your comment is very rude and you shouldn't have replied at all if you didn't have anything nice to say.

Sneaky2006
April 24th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Sorry to say but it's not going to get any nicer than that!
You came to the wrong place.
Most people here feel that if your dog isn't health tested and shown or if you don't know everything there is to know about breeding, then you shouldn't be doing it.
There is more than enough dogs in shelters without your help.

I apologize if your dog is tested and shown, but 99.9% of the time that's not the case.

Lucky Rescue
April 24th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Prin's comment was not rude, merely informative. Have you shown your dog to a championship, to prove she is breeding quality, and an exemplary example of her breed? Has she been tested and cleared of all and any genetic defects common to the breed?

Does the male also have a championship and health testing?

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 03:01 PM
This is not a forum for breeding. This is a forum for pet care and adoption. Everyone here feels the same way. Nobody here supports back yard breeding and if you weren't a byb, you would know WAY more on the subject.

blkkitty
April 24th, 2005, 03:11 PM
I was under the understanding that I could post a thread if i needed information. Excuse me for not having done this before. Everyone of you started just like me somewhere down the line.

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 03:18 PM
That said, this board has been up for several years and it has developed a certain pulse. Most people on this forum are against declawing cats, and are against banning specific dog breeds. Most people on this forum are VERY pro spay/neuter. Most people on this board will beg, borrow and max out their credit cards to see a veterinarian when their pets are ill.
Did you get the email about the "pulse" of this board? Our replies are not unexpected. And did you notice that half of the forums are about animal adoptions? Most people here are cleaning up the messes of BYB's.

Lucky Rescue
April 24th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I was under the understanding that I could post a thread if i needed information.

Certainly you may ask, if you are responsible breeder. Just give us a little more information first please.

Again:
Have you shown your dog to a championship, to prove she is breeding quality, and an exemplary example of her breed? Has she been tested and cleared of all and any genetic defects common to the breed?

Does the male also have a championship and health testing?

Sneaky2006
April 24th, 2005, 03:23 PM
How come you didn't answer any of Lucky Rescue's questions?

Edit: Same time again Lucky! Stoppit! :love:

blkkitty
April 24th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Both dogs have been health tested but neither have been shown. I don't want to show my dog that aspect of it doesn't interest me. I just wanted help with the breeding aspect of it. If I am in the wrong place then I apologize I just thought I would try to find someone who knew a little more about these things than me.

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Did your breeder show? You may be able to track them down easier at a show if they did.

blkkitty
April 24th, 2005, 03:37 PM
to be honest I have no Idea. We bought our little baby because she was hypo allergenic and my daughter has asthma. I don't understand why this all matters so much. I have already apologized for mistaking this forum as a help page and of course it is your right not to help me. But we could go back and forth on this all day. wether she shows or not is irrelevent, either you help me or not.

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 03:42 PM
It matters because people who show their dogs are striving to make the breed better. Genetics is VERY complicated and breeding because your dog is pretty or because you know people who want puppies does not make the breed better. If your dog comes from a long line of champions, you would be able to trace their genes to determine the risk of having pups with certain diseases. If you don't have the pedigree, you can't do that, and you can't be sure that any of the dogs will be born without genetic disorders.

If you read the thread about Paws r us, you can see the extreme of bad breeding. I'm not necessarily saying you are as bad ans them, I'm just saying that there is a HIGH risk of having unhealthy pups if you do not know the history.

You can also get your dog DNA tested for alleles of genetic disorders here:
Dog DNA Testing (http://www.healthgene.com/canine/)

Writing4Fun
April 24th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Both dogs have been health tested but neither have been shown. I don't want to show my dog that aspect of it doesn't interest me. I just wanted help with the breeding aspect of it. If I am in the wrong place then I apologize I just thought I would try to find someone who knew a little more about these things than me.
I would respectfully suggest that you research breeding much more than in a chat room/bulletin board before breeding. There are matters of life and death that may occur during breeding (just like with humans) so you really should make sure you know everything before beginning.

To locate your breeder, perhaps you should be speaking with other Bichon breeders in the area. The breeding/showing circuit is very close-knit and most breeders know one-another. They might be able to tell you where your breeder has gone. They will also be able to help you with your breeding questions.

I would certainly suggest you talk to a very reputable breeder beforehand to learn what's involved in becoming a reputable breeder. Showing is about more than getting ribbons to display on your wall. It's about your dog being judged by professionals in the field as a prime example of the breed in question. These are the only dogs who should be bred, since breeding is supposed to be all about bettering the breed, right?

Again, I'm sorry if the replies you've gotten are a little brusque. A lot of the people on this board are involved in rescue. (the only group of people I know whose aim is to work themselves out of work ;) ) Hopefully, you can understand why they'd be less than enthused to hear that there's another intact couple out there just waiting to breed more unwanted puppies. :(

BTW, we are trying to help you - we don't want to help you breed your dog, we want to help you realize why it's a bad idea to breed her.

Safyre
April 24th, 2005, 03:48 PM
BLKKitty
What I don't think you are understanding is that the people of this website do not support breeding dogs, unless they have been shown to championship, and you are breeding to improve/further the breed.
if you are doing it for any other reason, or without showing to championship, you are what is termed a backyard breeder. Someone who is breeding just beacuse they can.
Your dog might be CKC registered, you have not said, but even if she is, with no championship, no points, there is no reason to breed her. There are already many MANY unwated Bichon Frise out there that have no homes.
This website is not going to assist you in creating more unwanted puppies.

The 'show aspect' might not 'interest' you, but that also means that breeding should not interest you, they NEED to go hand in hand.

Also, you stated in your post that your dog is Hypo Allergenic. This tells me that you do not know enough of the breed to be breeding it. There is NO hypo allergenic dog, that is a term that was used to promote selling dogs, usually by pet stores (who buy from puppy mills) or by BYB (backyard breeders)

I have no suggestions for you in regards to how to breed your animals, as there is no reason for you to.

This is probably the nicest way that this info is going to be phrased for you.

CyberKitten
April 24th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I hate to be repettitive but the ONLY reputable breeding recognized by the dog registries and society actually is of those who are titled champions. Unless your dog qualifies in that regard and you have a mentor to help you if you are a new breeder - (I did not read all the replies - scanningquickly as usual, sigh!) - your dog is best NOT BRED! There are more qualifications but these are the basics - others include your own research and ability in genetics and health, having a good relationship with as mentor from the show circuit who properly breeds her/his dogs. Not to mention the cost of finding a titled male dog who has a pedigree similar to your dog.

If this titled male that you are breeding her with now had casused probs, you should take your girl to the vet - hopefully she is OK. If he is not titled, RUN as fast as you can!!! (and hope you have not already harmed your girl. If she is not titled, spay her asap!)

CyberKitten
April 24th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Oops, did not see the part about thinking the bichon is hypoallergenic (You do not know enough about your own dog apparently - there is NO such thing as a hypoallergenic pet unless you consider LR's Puurfect (don't have the link). I am fostering sphynx kitties and even they are not hypoallergenic. Dander comes from saliva, not the fur.

AND if you do not want to shw, you do not want to breed. You cannot breed WITHOUT showing! Unless you want to run a puppy mill or be a backyard breeder. I implore you to get your girl out of this situation while she is still OK and spay her! There are hundreds of bichons on the market - many in shelters because of people like you. (sigh!!!)

wjranch
April 24th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I'd suggest taking the 300 - 400$ that this 'new litter' might end up costing in feeding alone and spay the bitch.
You will be doing yourself, and your dog a favor in the long run. Some bitches aren't good mothers and really could care less about ever having a litter...
Just because she can doesn't mean she should be a mother...
Do you know anything about her pedigree?
Was her dam a good mother? Or did she drop the litter and run from it?
You might very well end up with a dam who wants nothing to do with those 4-5 cute little fellas and YOU get to hand rear them all!!
That is costly in so many ways Emotional, Physical, Mental, Financial....plus all that sleep you're going to loose feeding every 2 hours for 4 weeks minimum! I sincerly hope you reconsider this 'planned breeding' and tell anyone who's interested in a Bichon pup to check out the rescue organizations out there.. there are breed specific rescues that are over run as it is with dogs of all ages. :D
Please don't breed her until you've at least had her assessed by a reputable breeder and proved her worth against others of her own kind to be superior for her breed.

Remember "Until there are none, Adopt one"

Lucky Rescue
April 24th, 2005, 06:10 PM
You are getting good advice here.

I don't want to show my dog that aspect of it doesn't interest me.

It may not interest you, but no one who is remotely responsible would consider breeding a dog unless it's an outstanding example of it's breed as judged by experts..

Why do you want to breed your dog? To create pets to sell? To have puppies around?

If you merely want more dogs, there are over 100,000 homeless dogs on Petfinder alone, including Bichons. If you love dogs, you would rescue or foster one of them and save a life, rather than creating more for absolutely no reason.

All of this matters a lot to those of us who end up with dumped pets who were brought home or bred on a whim.