Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet Costs?

Chatito
April 24th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Hello again

I'm wondering what is the average cost of a vet check up for my cats? I'd just like to be prepared for when I do have to take them. Thanks.

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 01:25 PM
It depends what you have done. There is usually a consultation fee and then there are vaccines, deworming, etc...

pamha
April 24th, 2005, 02:25 PM
It kind of depends on the vet too. We used to go to one who like to test for a lot of things (worms, heartworm & I forget what else) at every check up, for our older dog it ran over $100 each visit. The one we use now only runs tests if we ask him too, just to have an animal looked at there costs about $35.

Call around, let them know what you need done, checkup, vaccinations, whatever and they can let you know the costs before you go in.

Lissa
April 24th, 2005, 04:32 PM
I take my cat to a cat hospital, usually it costs about $120 but last year I had an extra test done so it was closer to $200.
At the practice where I take my puppy, the appointment fee alone is $52, so for an annual check-up I figure I'm looking at probably over $200..yikes!
Melissa

chico2
April 24th, 2005, 04:39 PM
An annual check-up with shots,usually is around $115,basic exam $52,shots $62,I usually ask for nail-clipping another $10,but the costs vary,depending on where you live and the vet..

Writing4Fun
April 24th, 2005, 04:48 PM
...the appointment fee alone is $52...
??What's an appointment fee?? Surely, they don't charge you just for making the appointment?! :confused:

Safyre
April 24th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Appointment fee, is that the term they use Chico? or it i Examination Fee you are referringto

my vet has a $51 examination fee, just to bring in your animal to get checkedo ver, whether is an 8 wks old just adopted, or check up, it is $52 just fo the visit fee. Shots and medications are on top of that

CyberKitten
April 24th, 2005, 04:56 PM
An appointment fee is prob an office visit cost but I may be just guessing. Here, the costs are less- $30 for office visit - for YY's 2nd vaccination, it cost $30, incl office visit. The checkup was anothher $30. And spaying cost $100.

I think larger cities - Halifax and the Maritimes tend to be small centers - charge less. And yep, it depends on the vet.

The same vet cared for my bunny when he was very ill - he was 13 and had an obstruction and she ran tests, administered sev IV's and meds and only charged me $35!

Now, my brother just brought his lab to an emergemcy visit bec he caught his foot on something - a branch and it punctured his paw. In all, it was $400 but he considered it a small price for someone he loved!

Karin
April 24th, 2005, 07:16 PM
My vet charges $26 for an examination fee. Dr. Stapler and most vet's I know (or have worked for) will charge a "litter" fee for a multiple pet household for the exam only...$56 and up...does not matter if it's 3 or 13.
This is a exam only, routine. Vax's are seperate charges. Rabies average cost is $13 ea., DHLPP & DA2pp run about $12. B-Vax, $10. Fecal is $12, Heartworm test run about $32..if all dogs live in the same household, the test can be batched, if the test results in a positive, then seperate test are given. (This is an option, to save money for the client)
Fvrcp's lately have run around $12, rabies vax the same as canine. Felv/FIV testing $26...can do a batch for more than one cat. And so on....

Ask about a "group" or litter exam fee if you plan on bringing in more than one. Vet's save a bunch of money this way too. (not to mention time, which is money)

poohbear123
April 25th, 2005, 01:31 PM
When I took my dog to the vet last week it cost $60.00 for the vet to check him over after he had a seizure and she said they could do blood tests on him and a urine analysis and that would have cost $250.00 (just for the tests plus the visit fee). I am going to check around and see if I can get the lab work done for less. Why is it so expensive is it my vet or is that the going rate??

BMDLuver
April 25th, 2005, 01:38 PM
It really depends on where you live. I know through rescue that the rates we get here in Montreal are far more reasonable than the rates in Ontario.

What I find so odd here is that a test for FIV/FeLV is over $100 yet I know of cat rescues in the usa that can get it done for as little as $20-$25. Even with the exchange that's a huge difference.

I think the best advice is to shop around for a reasonable vet and make sure that they have plenty of satisfied repeat customers.

Beaglemom
April 25th, 2005, 01:41 PM
My vet charges somewhere in the mid $40s just for a checkup. Vaccinations are extra as well as any other tests that need to be done. A recheck costs approximately $38 and is only if they have already seen your pet recently and need to do a recheck for something like stitch removal.

They also offer complementary nail trims so that is included in the checkup fee. They offer a 10% discount if you bring in 3 or more pets at the same time.

I would suggest that if you don't already have a veterinarian of your own, ask friends or family members who have pets for their recommendations and also call up the vet offices in your area. They are more than will to give you quotes over the phone and will be able to give you a better idea as to how much it would cost you depending on what you are going in for.

chico2
April 25th, 2005, 04:37 PM
My vet has come up with what she calls a"Senior test"which she does when the cat turns 7yrs and she charges $140 on top of shots and exam.
It's Chicos turn this month and he just turned 7yrs,but I am not having Chico tested,7yrs to me,is hardly senior at least not for a cat.
We all have to make up our own minds and if it's something we don't agree on,just say no.Chico is perfectly healthy,no need for an extra $140.

Eleni
April 25th, 2005, 04:46 PM
wow i can honestly say im not sure hwo much my vets examination fee is, ive always just paid it.

however i dug up the bill from Sams last visit and i dont see the examination charge,

however I did pay 80$ forhis DA2PPv/rabies/Bortdetella

seemed reasonable to me, whenever i call to make an appointment for the vets I usually tell them what id like done with my pet and they are good about giving me an approximation of the cost, barring anything unforseen things needing done

Eleni