Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How often do you bathe your dog(s)

Beetlecat
April 24th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Batheing includeds showers, hoses, sinks... any time you get the animal totally wet for the purpose of cleaning it.

You can pick more than one option if you have muliple dogs that are bathed at different times.

Eleni
April 24th, 2005, 10:02 AM
I voted 2 times a month, but 1 tiem a month might apply better, I bath sam every 3 weeks or so

unless he gets really dirty then its more often

Eleni

BMDLuver
April 24th, 2005, 10:08 AM
I'm the when they get Icky gal, lol. My dogs never smell, coats are always shiny and bathing frequently plays havoc with the natural lanolin in their coats. Rolling in dead fish is about the only time I hose them off and use shampoo or if they have gotten into a manure pile at the barn.

pollito
April 24th, 2005, 10:44 AM
i wash mine once a month, but to keep her clean all the time i just brush her with a barely wet brush every single day, and wash her paws every single day, it doesn't damage her coat, her coat is always shiny.

Safyre
April 24th, 2005, 11:08 AM
I had the best advice given to me: Only bathe your dog when it smells like a dog.
For Justice, that relates to about every 4 months. lol

Writing4Fun
April 24th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Yup, another "something icky" person here. I also heard that bathing strips their natural oils.

Gary King
April 24th, 2005, 07:01 PM
6 times/year

Although my dog gets very dirty, very fast :(

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 07:05 PM
My doggies get touched a lot and get greasy from all those greasy humans... I usually bathe them in October before it gets cold, March when it gets warmer and then 2 or 3 times in the summer. If Jemma rolls in dead bird or leaks because I didn't give her enough estrogen, she gets a bit more... :)

coppperbelle
April 24th, 2005, 07:28 PM
My guys are in the water almost every weekend swimming. I don't use shampoo on them unless like someone else mentioned they get into something smelly.
If I allow them to dry off naturally and then give them a good brushing all the dirt comes off and there is no need to bathe them.

nymph
April 25th, 2005, 11:42 AM
I had the best advice given to me: Only bathe your dog when it smells like a dog.

That was exactly what our vet told us! :D

Luvmypit
April 25th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I use this oatmeal shampoo that allows you to bath your dog more often. You can get it at the vet,... i think vet solutions. Anyways there is no soap in it so it cleans without stripping his natural oils. Capones coat is very shiney and soft. I do so every 3 weeks. Sometimes more sometimes less. He loves to havea bath and usually goes stands at the tub when he feels its time. Usually hes right and he stinks. He likes to smell good. Weirdest dog I ever owned!

doggy lover
April 25th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I try not to bath Tucker too much but when we come home from our cottage he can be so dirty even though he spends most of the time in the pond.

Gripenfelter
April 25th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Twice a month or whenever he gets very dirty.

Usually, if its been raining outside, I just wash off his legs and underbelly with water and no shampoo.

Beetlecat
April 25th, 2005, 04:05 PM
He loves to havea bath and usually goes stands at the tub when he feels its time. Usually hes right and he stinks. He likes to smell good. Weirdest dog I ever owned!

that *is* a very weird dog :p

My dog and I constantly disagree about what he should smell like. After practicialy having to hog tie him to give him a shower, within a few days he manages to find *something* to roll in. Then I get to spend some time wandering over the house with my nose twitching, trying to find out what smells so bad. :rolleyes:

WeeZee
April 25th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Yup, only when she gets icky. She's already had this one! Rolled in something dead and grinned herself silly through the shower.

I would love to bath her now though! Her coat is heathy, and she smells fantastic, so so shiny - but - her beautiful white chest is black from her tags, collar buckle and rope clip. It looks awful!
I am on the hunt for something else to fasten her with - Any suggestions? (bearing in mind that she can chew through a tree in under an hour!)
I'd also like to get something to coat or cover her tags (3 mandatory ugly things) are helping in this black mess.

So, she is going to get a beauty bath as soon as the temperature maintains itself.